SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:17 PM
Gaui X3, RTF Mini Quad
United States, MO, KC
Joined Jun 2011
3,503 Posts
Discussion
How to do SMACK 3D

Hey guys, I have been trying to get SMACK down for a long time, but I can't tell what I am doing wrong. I can do a lot of 3D maneuvers, but I can't seem to get it into a smack, like Bert Kammerer or Nick Maxwell does. I can't seem to give the correct collective movements at the right times. For example, I can do some fast takeoffs but when i get close to the ground, my response time lags and it slams into the ground. Please note, I am talking about on Realflight 6.5, not real life.
BladeScraper is offline Find More Posts by BladeScraper
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:34 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpilot786457 View Post
Hey guys, I have been trying to get SMACK down for a long time, but I can't tell what I am doing wrong. I can do a lot of 3D maneuvers, but I can't seem to get it into a smack, like Bert Kammerer or Nick Maxwell does. I can't seem to give the correct collective movements at the right times. For example, I can do some fast takeoffs but when i get close to the ground, my response time lags and it slams into the ground. Please note, I am talking about on Realflight 6.5, not real life.
Those guys are using very powerful and high head speed setups to get the instantaneous snap in direction you are talking about. You will most likely need to modify the heli you are flying in order to get the power, RPM and setup needed.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:00 PM
Gaui X3, RTF Mini Quad
United States, MO, KC
Joined Jun 2011
3,503 Posts
I thought so, I knew that they used high headspeeds but I am trying to figure out why they can respond instantly like they do in real life. All the models on RealFlight respond soo slow even when I crank the headspeed up all the way. I guess it's just a sim's nature?
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:34 AM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Jul 2010
3,503 Posts
lots of sim time and a big bank account
once you get some moves down work on transitions like mobius
then just keep working it getting lower and lower
Elios000 is online now Find More Posts by Elios000
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:05 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
I thought so, I knew that they used high headspeeds but I am trying to figure out why they can respond instantly like they do in real life. All the models on RealFlight respond soo slow even when I crank the headspeed up all the way. I guess it's just a sim's nature?
I use Phoenix, but RPM may not be enough. You may need to go and change the motor power or weight of the heli also.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:14 PM
Gaui X3, RTF Mini Quad
United States, MO, KC
Joined Jun 2011
3,503 Posts
right, ill try that, thanks
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:31 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
right, ill try that, thanks
I pulled up the stock T Rex 500 in Phoenix just for kicks, and its setup with a less than 1HP motor and a governed head speed of 2700RPM.

The Pros these days are flying 500 sized helis with 3000watt motors, 13,14 degrees of pitch and 3300 RPM. They have crazy power and speed setups over the average sport flyer setup, so you will most likely need to several changes to the base model you use.

That, and of course split second smack moves like that aren't easy and require a lot of precise collective management. That will only come with practice and no amount of tweaking will make any of us look good
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:18 PM
Joined Sep 2012
44 Posts
Regarding Phoenix - after trying them all I must say the physics aren't realistic no matter how you tweak the helicopter settings.

Download and try the NeXt Sim demo, and the Heli-X 4 demo

And if possible, give RealFlight (latest version) a try at your local hobby store
PcChip is offline Find More Posts by PcChip
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:24 AM
Gaui X3, RTF Mini Quad
United States, MO, KC
Joined Jun 2011
3,503 Posts
Yes. I have RF 6.5 and it is AMAZING.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:32 AM
AMA# 548800
United States, CT, Trumbull
Joined Dec 2007
5,174 Posts
I know what you mean , It's just practice one thing at a time . Once you get id down perfect , start another maneuver with the other routine to start off with . then just keep going from their.
The other thing i noticed is they use a lot of switches . Well with my radio i can program a switch to say to do perfect tick tock's by numbing down the ailerons and rudder , so i only use throttle/ pitch and elevator . This goes for all the other stunts too, just enough to pull out before you hit the switch to give normal operation .

The other thing is you need to be 3 steps ahead of the heli , if not its already into the ground . When you go into a maneuver or stunt you should be already pulling out before it happens . You cant hesitate .
jombo is offline Find More Posts by jombo
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:14 PM
Unregistered User
Joined Oct 2012
382 Posts
On pheonix just give the goblin Max hp
helipilot23 is offline Find More Posts by helipilot23