HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:15 PM
United States, NY, Syosset
Joined Jun 2012
81 Posts
Discussion
banana plug to usb adapter

Does anyone make a banana plug to usb adapter so you can charge USB devices from our chargers?
(as I sit and anticipate our third power outage in as many months I cannot help but think I could charge my flight packs and have power to charge usb powered devices like phones etc for some time.)

Thanks

Rob
RobT01 is offline Find More Posts by RobT01
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:07 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,252 Posts
I don't know of one, sorry. But that's an interesting idea.

You might also be able to charge USB devices directly from the flight packs, using a BEC set to 5V, ideally, or maybe a standard 4.8V would be enough?

My Castle Ice's BEC can be set it 0.1V increments. Making a servo plug->USB adapter is probably doable.

HobbyKing actually sells a little device to take 2S input power, and provides a USB plug.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

I don't have any 2S packs. But if I was desperate, I could use the balance plug to pull 2S voltage from a 3S or greater pack. Balancing the pack afterwards would take longer, of course, and this is not a great way to do things.

You could also potentially use something like a cigarette lighter->USB adapter. I don't know if 12.6V 3S LiPo power would damage it. I doubt it, as your car can be 13.8V or so when running, I think.

That may touch on the simpler approach, to charge them from a car with a cigarette lighter adapter, if possible. I'm anticipating the same outage, so I get where you're coming from
RedOctobyr is offline Find More Posts by RedOctobyr
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:54 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,760 Posts
There are numerious USB charging devices which are powered by 12V DC nonimal . Why not just purchase one for $5 or so from the WW Net ,plug into auto accesory and connect device or purchase an auto jump starter with bbattery and accesory socket so it can be used inside?

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:12 PM
Joined Jun 2012
81 Posts
Remember seeing the gas lines on the news? You will never forget when you lived through them. I have power here, why not have a way to use it?
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:15 PM
Joined Jun 2012
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
I don't know of one, sorry. But that's an interesting idea.

You might also be able to charge USB devices directly from the flight packs, using a BEC set to 5V, ideally, or maybe a standard 4.8V would be enough?

My Castle Ice's BEC can be set it 0.1V increments. Making a servo plug->USB adapter is probably doable.

HobbyKing actually sells a little device to take 2S input power, and provides a USB plug.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Not what I had in mind since I only have a few 2 cell packs, but it is a step in the right direction.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:37 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobT01 View Post
Remember seeing the gas lines on the news? You will never forget when you lived through them. I have power here, why not have a way to use it?
First off charging your flight packs ahead of time just in case is a bad idea as it is not good to leave LiPolys fully charged for days or weeks on end.

Secondly if you have an auto then you can use the accosory outlet to power such a charger for a very long time without needing to run the engine and if you have to commuate then the car battery gets recharged anyway.

Third the 12V auto jump start unit will have a 7Ah to 12Ah range AGM battery in it that can and should be kept fully charged and will serve your charging needs for phones and such for a very long time and they can be recharged from the car as you drive and carried into the house.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:58 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,372 Posts
What about something like this?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...g_Adapter.html

You gotta remember the usb device you are powering has its own charger inside. So powering it from your charger isn't really ideal I don't think.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:04 PM
Joined Jun 2012
81 Posts
Good point. I didn't think about the fact they have a charger built in.