HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:24 PM
HyperFlight Support
United Kingdom, England, Stratford-upon-Avon
Joined Feb 2001
3,926 Posts
For me it is probably the Graupner Cirrus, as I have such great memories of 18 year old me flying one. However I wonder what I would think if I flew one now?

Does our brain somehow get imprinted by the first really good glider we have, and that shape (whatever it is), becomes the archetype we compare all other models to?

Neil.
Neil Stainton is offline Find More Posts by Neil Stainton
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:06 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Stainton View Post
For me it is probably the Graupner Cirrus, as I have such great memories of 18 year old me flying one. However I wonder what I would think if I flew one now?

Does our brain somehow get imprinted by the first really good glider we have, and that shape (whatever it is), becomes the archetype we compare all other models to?

Neil.
Interesting point Neil. If that were the case then my first choice would be my American Eagle, but being a poor teen with the love of soaring I always dreamed of owning a Sagitta. Now that I'm 10 years from retirement I finally will get to fulfill my dream.... Funny how that is.
FYI the Cirrus was high on my list and I saw it in the winner circle quite a lot.
Kurt
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:10 AM
Crestview, Florida
Joined Dec 2005
631 Posts
My Xperience Pro. And......it flies wonderfully!!!

Tap
Tappet is offline Find More Posts by Tappet
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:56 AM
AMA 5285 LSF 8104
United States, OR, Hood River
Joined Aug 2008
342 Posts
My most favorite model sailplane is obviously the Aquila. Still have one which was built in my dorm room in 1979 (needs a little repair to one wing inner leading edge... damn fence jumped out in front of me.... ). Have a Grande N.I.B. to build sometime.

I also love the Graupner Cirrus. I still have one I got used in the early '80's and flew in Open Class, plus have the remains of a second.

Also on my build list: Magnum 12 (have one N.I.B.), a Mirage (always loved the look of the original color scheme), and a bunch of scale ships: a large scale Orlik (Polish sailplane from the '30's, actually got to work on the only surviving full size), Libelle, Kestral, and last but definately not least the Slingsby Petel.
Aquila Guy is offline Find More Posts by Aquila Guy
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:46 PM
Phil.T-tailer
Devon, UK
Joined Jun 2003
4,247 Posts
Ellipse 2T - beautiful curvy shape - looks great in the air - flies superbly

in fact - I like it so much I just built a brand-new one

New Years Day 2013 - Ellipse 2T maiden flight (3 min 14 sec)

Phil.
Phil.Taylor is offline Find More Posts by Phil.Taylor
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:02 PM
Life-abstract=conformity
S.F. Bay Area
Joined Aug 2002
1,892 Posts
Quote:

Neil.
I would say not exactly.
The first time a saw a HobieHawk fly I was smitten by it's grace and elegance as the owner piloted it around.Yet it was years later before I owned & flew my own HH.
There is certainly an imprint from that 'first' experience.No argument there.
And then there's sloping my MPX DG-600 around.I just go to the zone when I'm flying it around.Usually in 40min chunks.Several times for 2hrs. plus.
Skies
Jay
AirBornOne is offline Find More Posts by AirBornOne
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:00 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirBornOne View Post
I would say not exactly.
The first time a saw a HobieHawk fly I was smitten by it's grace and elegance as the owner piloted it around.Yet it was years later before I owned & flew my own HH.
There is certainly an imprint from that 'first' experience.No argument there.
And then there's sloping my MPX DG-600 around.I just go to the zone when I'm flying it around.Usually in 40min chunks.Several times for 2hrs. plus.
Skies
Jay
Jay;
I flew a Hobie Hawk for quite a number of years. I will agree with you about grace and elegance. I found this youtube video which has also been floating around here on RC Groups.
I agree.... one of the best looking planes of it's time.

Kurt

Hobie Hawk / Hobie Model Company 1975 promo video
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:14 PM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,498 Posts
Chrysalis 2m

Big Bird

WimH is online now Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:59 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,700 Posts
Quote:

Neil.
Neil, I think you may have hit upon the perfect explanation for my total lack of repentance.....
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:05 AM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
650 Posts
  • Airtronics Legend
  • Airtronics Sapphire
R2R is online now Find More Posts by R2R
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:07 AM
FT.MYERS FL.
Joined Mar 2009
77 Posts
Sailaire
grande esprit
legionair
all are currently flying and all look good at any altitude!
CUMICBOY is offline Find More Posts by CUMICBOY
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:14 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,083 Posts
For beauty in flight you can't beat scale ships. The long skinny forward sweeping wings of the Duo Discus or the DG 1000 look the best in my opinion.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Last edited by davidjensen; Feb 11, 2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:10 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2006
4 Posts
Dodgson Windsong/Lovesong. Actually, anything Bob designed and kitted, including early works of art llike Maestro and Todi.
psounder is offline Find More Posts by psounder
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:57 PM
R2R
St Johns, FL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psounder View Post
Dodgson Windsong/Lovesong. Actually, anything Bob designed and kitted, including early works of art llike Maestro and Todi.
I always wanted a Saber, after reading a build article/review of it in RC Modeler.
R2R is online now Find More Posts by R2R
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:57 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,844 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psounder View Post
Yes, he was a great one... WAAYYY ahead of his time...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman