HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:17 PM
United Kingdom, England, Mansfield
Joined Feb 2013
10 Posts
Discussion
Hello from a newbie,please help with 1st Heli

Hello everyone my name is Al,i am new to the hobby and have decided i want a Helicopter,i have narrowed it down to two that i like but i need advice please.
My choice is between the MJX T23 3 channel and the MJX f39 4 channel 2.4ghz would the f39 be too advanced for a totol newcomer?

Thanks in advance
Redders
fuff66uk is offline Find More Posts by fuff66uk
Last edited by fuff66uk; Feb 08, 2013 at 03:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:44 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Joined Jan 2011
1,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuff66uk View Post
Hello everyone my name is Al,i am new to the hobby and have decided i want a Helicopter,i have narrowed it down to two that i like but i need advice please.
My choice is between the MJX T23 3 channel and the MJX f39 4 channel single rotor,my question is with the single rotor be too much for a total novice being single bladed ?

Thanks in advance
Redders
As many new hobbyists, you are obviously drawn to the large size of these helis. I started the same way, and have owned both of these helis in the past. If I was doing it over, I would skip them. Although the MJX line is generally of good quality, your particular selections are coaxials which are too large for indoors, but have significant outdoor limitations.

The MJX-T23 is a large 3ch with servo-driven elevator. With already wind handling limitation of coaxial design, coupled with 3 channels, this is best for a large indoor area only, unless you have near calm conditions.

The MJX-F39 is a 4ch coaxial (the F45 is the single rotor). It can handle slightly more, but still very light breeze. It is a really nice flyer and can do banked turns on a dime. But again too large for indoors and very limited outdoors.

The MJX-F45 single rotor is step up in terms of wind handling but still quite limited in stock form. I really enjoyed this one. There are numerous documented performance and handling mods including brushless motors.

My suggestions:

Good: If you have a large, relatively calm flying area I would suggest starting with at least the F45.

Better: Check out the WL v911 small single rotor (clickable link) which will fly circles around all of these, and can be flown indoors or out. These are inexpensive and durable. There are still light wind limitations on fixed pitch helis (single rotors).

Best: Consider a quad, aka multirotor. They can be flown similar to a coaxial but can also exceed any coax and most single rotor helis. Again very inexpensive and durable. Check here for lots of info and opinions on these.

These suggestions are based on my actual experiences.

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:44 PM
Joined Feb 2013
10 Posts
Thank you very much,i certainly like the look of the F45 & as all my flying will be outdoors it should be better.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:49 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
A micro quad handles wind a lot better. Size is no indication of outdoor capability. Think of the F45 kind of like the Titanic. It's very heavy, very stable and once you get it moving, it doesn't like to turn or stop. That's not meant to be good or bad, that's just the way it is.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:18 AM
Joined Feb 2013
10 Posts
It's a lot more confusing than i imagined it would be trying to choose one lol
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:44 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
It's not a "one size fits all" hobby. Where you have to fly, how you want to fly, objectives, budget, location and age, all factor in. The people in this forum will generally try to steer you in a direction that has you learn the most, with the least fuss and expense, depending on your situation. But, you can certainly continue in your own path, whatever you are comfortable with. Gordonzo and I tend to disagree about the effectiveness of the F45 as a learning tool. But, it's certainly nice for easy, stress free flying.
Last edited by Balr14; Feb 09, 2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:38 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Joined Jan 2011
1,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
It's not a "one size fits all" hobby. Where you have to fly, how you want to fly, objectives, budget, location and age, all factor in. The people in this forum will generally try to steer you in a direction that has you learn the most, with the least fuss and expense, depending on your situation. But, you can certainly continue in your own path, whatever you are comfortable with. Gordonzo and I tend to disagree about the effectiveness of the F45 as a learning tool. But, it's certainly nice for easy, stress free flying.
Actually I don't disagree with you on the F45.

Your message was always correct but your delivery was, shall we say, lacking tact. You focus on learning while we often focus on fun. We want the truth sugar coated.

The strengths of the F45 are its bus-like stability, durability, parts support, and ability to fly far and high and still be visible. If you have the space, anybody can hit the throttle and fly this thing. Tons of people are enjoying it, and the tinkerers and modders love it.

But F45 as trainer - no!

After I flew my first micro quad, the WL v929, I saw the light. Quads react and accelerate so much faster that I found it to be a surprisingly slow transition. Hovering and box pattern flying on low rates was easy. But cranking up the rates and flying it forward like an airplane, with fast acceleration, banking turns and quick maneuvers took a lot more time (I am still working on that).

I fly my 4 quads the most and highly recommend them to fuff66uk. My 5 fixed pitch helis sit on the shelf and watch in envy. My 1 coaxial (Solo 210a) collects dust.

A tiny quad will fly circles around the big coaxial and fixed pitch helis.

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:49 PM
Joined Feb 2013
10 Posts
Whilst i can see where you are coming from with the quads i would prefer the more traditional looking helicopter,i'll give you a few facts about my requirements

1) 99% outdoor flying

2) Budget is very modest at 100 maximum

3) Upgradable

Oh and i'm 46 years old
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:50 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Tact has never been my strong suite. I'm working on it, but I don't think I'm ever going to be good at it. If you are flying outdoors in wind, you are going to have to rethink things. Otherwise, the F45 or V912 would be fine for you. I always cringe at the term "upgradable". It usually means you would have been better off buying something that suits you more to start with. But, that's just me.
Last edited by Balr14; Feb 09, 2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:12 PM
Joined Feb 2013
10 Posts
Quote:
Tact has never been my strong suite. I'm working on it, but I don't think I'm ever going to be good at it. If you are flying outdoors in wind, you are going to have to rethink things. Otherwise, the F45 or V912 would be fine for you. I always cringe at the term "upgradable". It usually means you would have been better off buying something that suits you more to start with. But, that's just me.
I know what you mean about buying something better in the 1st place but i have no idea what would be the best for me lol,it would only be used in very very light wind at worst as i would only take it out on calm days
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:19 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
As I said, the F45 or V912 would be good for you. These are toy grade products. They are very good for toys, but anything you upgrade exposes weaknesses somewhere else. Just keep that in mind.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:31 PM
Joined Feb 2013
10 Posts
Quote:
As I said, the F45 or V912 would be good for you. These are toy grade products. They are very good for toys, but anything you upgrade exposes weaknesses somewhere else. Just keep that in mind.
What is available in a similar size but less toy quality ? Sorry for all the questions
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:07 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
The hobby manufacturers have largely left that part of the market. In your budget range the V912 and F45 are as good as you will get. They are not bad. They just don't lend themselves to upgrades. In truth, even the best helis do not. Their electronics are better, so they can stand some upgrades better. But, even then upgrading is usually not cost effective, beyond things like servos and gyros. All I'm saying is whatever heli you buy, think about buying a different one before investing a lot in upgrades. If you don't like quads, your choices for the "next heli" get a lot harder.

About the only other starter helis are the Blade MSR, 120SR or WL Toys V911. They have better performance than the F45 and V912, but they are smaller. You won't be upgrading them, either.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:36 PM
Joined Feb 2013
10 Posts
Quote:
The hobby manufacturers have largely left that part of the market. In your budget range the V912 and F45 are as good as you will get. They are not bad. They just don't lend themselves to upgrades. In truth, even the best helis do not. Their electronics are better, so they can stand some upgrades better. But, even then upgrading is usually not cost effective, beyond things like servos and gyros. All I'm saying is whatever heli you buy, think about buying a different one before investing a lot in upgrades. If you don't like quads, your choices for the "next heli" get a lot harder.

About the only other starter helis are the Blade MSR, 120SR or WL Toys V911. They have better performance than the F45 and V912, but they are smaller. You won't be upgrading them, either.
Thanks Balr14 i'm going to get the F45 and upgrade to something more advanced when the time comes
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:51 PM
mSRx,Mini,130x,MCP,300x,4 50D03
United States, FL
Joined Jan 2013
260 Posts
Quote:
the F45 or V912 would be good for you. These are toy grade products. They are very good for toys.
I am also new to the hobby and still learnnig, what models do you consider hobby grade?
gstihls is offline Find More Posts by gstihls