HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:00 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Mini-Review
***DJI NAZA-H with GPS, Helicopter Auto Pilot, Flybarless Controller Mini-Review

UnBoxing and initial thoughts

Hello everyone, I'm going to be writing an independent review and share my experience with the DJi NAZA-H with optional GPS for helicopters. And hopefully answer questions along the way…

It's a helicopter Autopilot system, with built-in tail Gyro, Flybarless support, Auto Hover and Level Fail safe, 3 flight modes, Full Manual, Atti Mode and GPS with Atti Mode.

A little background information before I begin this review, My name is David and I have been in and out the model industry for almost 30 years, I don't claim to be a fantastic flyer.. But have over the years tried and flown most types whether it be Planes, Helicopters or more recently Multi-rotors… But the part that gives me the most enjoyment is helicopters and scale being the type of flying I prefer.

6 Months ago I had the pleasure in meeting up with SidneyW from on here (RCG), when I was over in Hong Kong, I spent a day at the DJi headquarters and factory in China..

Sidney asked me if I would be interested in writing a fully independent review on the NAZA-H, and offering technical assistance that I pick up a long the way, to which I jumped at the chance (I love gadgets! lol) … Sidney has asked me to write an honest review including waltz and all, Just as I find it. This is very important to get across… I would really like it if we could keep this a friendly thread, whatever the views.

I don't sell, supply or have any finical gain in DJI what so ever… I am a paying end user of there equipment..

Okay, so now I have the boring stuff out the way, let me start this review, it is going to be on going, as and when I have time so please check back for updates!! I hope to do the installation in the next 2-3weeks and flight test shortly after that.

Overview

The Naza-H autopilot system is a new platform designed for the helicopter model enthusiast. It inherits the Naza series’ All-in-One design with an inner damping and many other built-in high performance functions (tail gyro, flybarless, and multiple flight control modes) and it also supports D-BUS. With the optional GPS module, stability is no longer a problem. From novice to aggressive 3D, the Naza-H perfectly meets the needs of different flying styles. It is not just another FBL controller; it is the best choice for the discerning model helicopter pilot.

Features

All-in-One Design
Built-in Tail Gyro/Flybarless Supported
Support for Multiple Electric Helicopter Platforms
Advanced Attitude and Control Algorithm
Optional GPS Module
Multiple Flight Control Modes/Intelligent Switching
D-Bus Supported
Independent LED Module
Semi-auto Take-off & Landing (Will Be Available in The Following New Firmware)

All-in-One Design

Naza-H has inherited the All-in-One design of the Naza series of autopilot systems. With the innovative All-in-One design, it contains inner damping, controllers, a 3-axis gyroscope, a 3-axis accelerometer and a barometer in its light and small main controller. It simplifies installation and saves space and weight and its firmware can be upgraded over the internet.

Built-in Tail Gyro/Flybarless Supported

The high-performance FBL (flybarless) system, with a linear and smooth control feeling, is specially designed for model enthusiasts, especially hard 3D flight. The system fully meets the requirements of the novice and professional pilots and more importantly you can also set different flight styles anytime you want. The system has plenty of advanced functions, such as the pirouette compensation and auto trim which make you can feel the ease of stabilization as well as experience the hard 3D flight.

This will be in 3 parts, unboxing and initial thoughts, Installation and set-up, Flight Report and set-up..

The Naza-H comes in 3 boxes, the 1st being the main box with the Main FC (Flight Computer) , independent LED Module with micro USB socket, cables to plug in to the RX, CAN Bus extension cable, USB Cable for linking to a computer for setting up and updating and double sided mounting tape..

2nd box has the optional GPS with built-in compass, CAN Bus Extension lead and mounting accessories.

3rd Box has the PMU (BEC)

The overall quality and finish is of a very high standard.. I will break down each competent individually.

The Main component is the FC (Flight Computer/controller) This is identical in size and shape to anyone familiar with the NAZA-M for Multi-rotor's it measures 45.5x31.5x18.5mm, 25g,
Consumption is around 300mA@5v input operating voltage is 4.8-8.4v. This unit connects between the RX using either standard male to male servo leads (supplied) PPM or Futaba S-Bus (this will need selecting in set-up, see part 2) This gets connected on the left hand side and on the Right Hand side plugs in the servo's and throttle/ESC. Also on the left hand side is 2 CAN Bus sockets, 1 for the flight status LED with USB and the 2nd for Optional GPS/Compass. This is orientation specific, more on this in part 2.

Servo's supported Analog 50HZ, Digital 145HZ (1520us center point)

Tail servo's Analog 50Hz(1520us center point),Digital 333Hz/560Hz(760us center point),Digital 125Hz/165Hz/270Hz/333Hz(1520us center point)

LED Module, this will display different flight conditions and will need mounting in a place easily visible from the ground, I.E near the back and underneath, This connects directly to the FC via Can Bus, Also it has a micro USB to connect to a computer so easily accessible would be ideal, there is also included an extension CAN BUS cable to extend the mounting distance. 25x25x7mm, 13.4g, powered through the CAN BUS, 4.8-8.4v, 60mA@5v

PMU/BEC, This is a very high powered BEC module, with heatsink.. It has excellent operating voltage taking an input battery from 11-52V.. It can supply a continuous 5A (Max 15A) output at a switchable 5.8v or 7.4v This has 2 leads running from it, 1 for the main battery or battery used for electronics (this will need your own type of plug fitting) the 2nd plugging in to the Main FC on port X1, to power unit and servo's.. This voltage can also be monitored on the computer.. 39x27.5x12.7mm, 37g

This unit is my only gripe so far, I think the input voltage is brilliant, however I would have liked to have seen the output voltage maybe fully adjustable in the software, as my donor helicopter (more on this later) has 5v servo's fitted though out.. Also I would have liked either 7.5A or 10A continuous output.. (However a separate BEC maybe used instead)

GPS/Compass, Optional unit.. 46(dia)x9mm 21.3g, 4.8-8.4v, 60mA @5v, it is powered though the CAN BUS and connects to the left hand side of the main FC, there is also included a 2nd CAN BUS extension.. This is orientation specific, more on this in part 2.

Once installed all the settings can be made on a computer and software and firmware can easily be updated, again I will go more in depth of this in part 2 over the coming next few weeks.
topgearuk is offline Find More Posts by topgearuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:00 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Installation and set-up..

This will be added to over the next couple of weeks, please feel free to ask questions and I will do my best to answer them.

The donor helicopter, will more then likely be my Trex 600 ESP.. I will be adding a flybarless head and once everything set-up will go back inside the body.
Last edited by topgearuk; Feb 08, 2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:01 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Flight Report and set-up
Last edited by topgearuk; Feb 08, 2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:01 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
Software downloads including manuals and set-up video's

http://www.dji-innovations.com/produ...a-h/downloads/

DJI Naza-H Setup Demo (7 min 0 sec)

DJI Naza-H Assistant Software Configuration (15 min 22 sec)

DJI Naza-H GPS Atti.Mode with position lock (2 min 38 sec)
Last edited by topgearuk; Feb 08, 2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:01 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2003
3,272 Posts
I'm moving this to here

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1827567
Closed Thread