HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:42 AM
United States, NJ, Caldwell
Joined Apr 2007
308 Posts
Trader Rating: 28
Discussion
What to do when I didn't get what was promised?

I have wanted an E-flite Deuces Wild for a while now and finally found one that was NIB but missing the outer wing panels and some other parts. I have been piecing it together and needed a left wing panel.

I posted wanted ads all over and got a reply from a guy who told me "I HAVE BOTH WING PANELS THE STAB AND THE RUDDER AVAILABLE."

I told him that I only needed the left panel but would buy the lot if it would make it worth his while. I offered him the generous amount of $100 for all the parts.

I get the box today and there is one wing panel (not the one I need) and the stabs. I have contacted the guy and let him know this. Basically I gave away $100 for nothing.

I don't know what his response will be...probably something along the lines of he realized he didn't have the left wing but just shipped the parts anyway...we will see.

If the guy doesn't want to be reasonable, which would be sending me the missing wing for free or at least a partial refund what do I do? I paid through Paypal so I have that on my side. Worst case I guess I will open a dispute and send him back the other parts.
Sessholvlaru is offline Find More Posts by Sessholvlaru
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:54 AM
Mr. Crash and Burn
Joined Jan 2013
430 Posts
Trader Rating: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sessholvlaru View Post
I have wanted an E-flite Deuces Wild for a while now and finally found one that was NIB but missing the outer wing panels and some other parts. I have been piecing it together and needed a left wing panel.

I posted wanted ads all over and got a reply from a guy who told me "I HAVE BOTH WING PANELS THE STAB AND THE RUDDER AVAILABLE."

I told him that I only needed the left panel but would buy the lot if it would make it worth his while. I offered him the generous amount of $100 for all the parts.

I get the box today and there is one wing panel (not the one I need) and the stabs. I have contacted the guy and let him know this. Basically I gave away $100 for nothing.

I don't know what his response will be...probably something along the lines of he realized he didn't have the left wing but just shipped the parts anyway...we will see.

If the guy doesn't want to be reasonable, which would be sending me the missing wing for free or at least a partial refund what do I do? I paid through Paypal so I have that on my side. Worst case I guess I will open a dispute and send him back the other parts.
well i feel that he should either 1. send you the part you reqested first free of shipping cause it was his mistake to begin with or 2. full refund on the useless parts he did send since you stated you would only buy them to make it worth his while
Dweenie is offline Find More Posts by Dweenie
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:49 AM
Joined Apr 2007
308 Posts
The guy got back to me saying he told me that before sending the parts he had only found one wing. Garbage.

This is what he actually said: "checking further their is the left wing panel some damage easy repair the hor stab perfect condition with elevators and the rudder in ex condition have no idea as to the cost make an offer and include shipping from lake orion mi 48359 thanks dave"

Nowhere does it say "I only found one wing."

My ad on RCU was titled "Wanted! Deuces Wild Left Wing!" He sent me a right wing.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:26 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,940 Posts
Trader Rating: 629
Do the PayPal dispute. It's pretty clear that he fouled up. I'd send him a polite note before you begin the dispute, letting him know what your plans are, and I'd stay polite throughout the process. Sometimes that helps get what you want.
The disappointing part is that although you can ask for him to pay for return shipping, he isn't required to do that, so you'll probably have to pay return shipping.
Best of luck to you.
Josh
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:40 PM
# Scale is a way of life
United States, OH, Avon Lake
Joined Apr 2010
1,716 Posts
Trader Rating: 40
File a claim already??

First effort should always be to work it out with the seller,, you have 45 days to file a paypal claim. This could still be an honest mistake, once again it seams someone runs here before giving a seller time to make it right, I just don't get it., from the RCU ad it looks like it's only been a few days.

I hope I never make an honest mistake dealing with you guys.
scale_only is offline Find More Posts by scale_only
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:51 PM
Joined Apr 2007
308 Posts
I'm not being hostile, I'm just asking for advice. That is what this forum is for, right?

The seller seems to think he told me that only one wing was included but if you read what I quoted it is more like gibberish. Combine that with what he originally told me, i.e. "I have both wings" and I think he was in the wrong.

He was also evidently confused on which wing was the left one. I'm going by the common aviation designation and E-flite part numbers.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:00 PM
most exalted one
BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,532 Posts
Trader Rating: 19
I think he told you he had the left wing panel, but you could easily misread what was written. And I guess he was incorrect and it was the right wing. Worst case should be a refund and you pay to ship back.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:02 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,954 Posts
Trader Rating: 385
Hi,
Why did you start this thread prior working things out like mature experienced adults?

Yes, you can file a claim and actually it's a dispute that can be elevated to a claim, but it may not be necessary yet.
Either way you have the choice of sending the items back on your dime. I would also insure for loss and have at least delivery confirmation if not direct signature confirmation.

Jared
jcstalls is offline Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:02 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,940 Posts
Scale,
That avatar makes me laugh every time I see it . Maybe I wasn't clear enough. I'd send him a polite note and let him know that I'd like the correct wing, and that if he doesn't have that wing, I'd like to return the parts for a full refund. I'd give him a chance to do right, but if he doesn't, I'd let him know that the next step is to start a PP dispute. In this case, it doesn't seem like the seller is going to come through, based on comments like this "The guy got back to me saying he told me that before sending the parts he had only found one wing."
As far as waiting goes, I think it's great to give the seller a day or two to communicate/make things right, but I wouldn't want to wait anything close to a month with my money tied up in parts that I can't use.

Jared, is there an issue with asking for advice on how to handle things? Seems to me that how a person figures out how to handle things like mature adults - they learn by observing/talking with others. Do you perhaps see things otherwise?
Josh
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:08 PM
Joined Apr 2007
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcstalls View Post
Hi,
Why did you start this thread prior working things out like mature experienced adults?

Jared
Because I am fully entitled to ask other modelers for advice, that's why.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:12 PM
Joined Apr 2007
308 Posts
Also, I know not to be nasty when handling situations like this. I'm nearly 30 after all.

I agree that this was an honest mistake on the seller's part but I just wish he would have been clearer. He first told me had had both wings. In his last comment I was to assume one wasn't included just because the words "right wing" were omitted.

I'm sorry, but if I tell someone I have both of something and then realize I only have one I'm sure to convey that to the buyer in clear English. "I'm sorry, but I realize I only actually have one, not both. Are you still interested?"

Bottom line is I needed a left wing and the seller claimed to have a left wing. I was sent a right wing.
Last edited by Sessholvlaru; Feb 08, 2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:14 PM
Joined Apr 2007
308 Posts
Although I can't but help being disappointed (I am basically stuck scratch building the wing) I offered the seller three options:

I can either send his parts back for a full refund, he can refund me $40 or we can go through Paypal. I have yet to hear back.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:32 PM
Joined Apr 2010
1,940 Posts
Sounds like you're doing all the right things. Hope the seller comes through for you.
J
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:39 PM
# Scale is a way of life
United States, OH, Avon Lake
Joined Apr 2010
1,716 Posts
Trader Rating: 40
As soon as you mention Paypal Disputes it changes things from "this must be some kind of mistake, let's work it out" to "You've scammed me, Game on".

My advise it always to attempt all remedies before bringing the threat of Paypal action into the discussion. A little humility can go a long way,, threats almost always get you now where

Good luck
scale_only is offline Find More Posts by scale_only
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:47 PM
Joined Apr 2007
308 Posts
So the seller is being a bit inflexible telling me things like "I was trying to help you out" and mentioning it cost him $30 in gas and tolls to get the package to the Post Office, like that somehow makes the fact he was mistaken and sent me the wrong item acceptable.

I agreed to him refunding me 25 bucks just so I can forget about flushing $75 down the toilet. Oh well, at least WRAM is nearly here.