SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Balr14, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:00 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,477 Posts
Discussion
Just rambling...

I'm ready to order the DJI Phantom quad. I would have ordered it already, but I hate the landing gear. I don't need the long legs because I have no interest in a camera mount. I've flown way too many miles for my job to want to see another aerial view of anything. Anyway, the antenna and compass are mounted in the lower part of the legs, so getting rid of them will be a challenge. The weather in the first half of February is usually crappy, so I don't need to rush.

I decided to make my own hull for the steampunk quad from fiberglass. The plastic CSS Alabama hull just didn't look right. I am going to cut the huge tail and centerboards from G10. I am going to use 2 center boards, angled about 30 from the center line of the hull, to serve as landing gear, along with the tip of the rudder. At least that's the plan for now, unless I can come up with some retractable landing struts.

My only progress is in the planning phase just now, because I tore a rotor cuff shoveling snow. I go for surgical evaluation on the 22nd. I had to have some MRIs done and I didn't fit in the machine! I'm too wide! I had to go to where they had a bigger machine. It's still a very confined space. I didn't like it at all!
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:13 AM
Joined Nov 2012
150 Posts
Yikes. Hopefully the tear isn't too severe. Get well soon!
aphex4000 is offline Find More Posts by aphex4000
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:12 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,477 Posts
Me too! I hear rotor cuff rehab sucks.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14