HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2013, 07:57 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlwb View Post
Somehow they got all the bearings in between the unit when they first assembled it at the factory. So it ought to come apart too.
Oh they do! I had a little surprise when I was stripping my son's car engine for a check over. All stripped except for the bearings so into the oven for some heat then wack the back of the engine down on some wood. Tinkle, tinkle, tinkle....balls rolling all over the place with the inner race and retainer just sitting there. It's the only time I've ever come across a bearing that uses a retainer on only one side of the race. Actually it shouldn't be called a retainer, more like a seperator to keep the balls an equal distance apart. More heating removed the outer race and then the fun started putting the ball race back together again .
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 23, 2013, 10:41 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
12,883 Posts
Yeah it is always amazing how simple something can be.

I figured someone will ask, so... to disassemble a ball bearing unit, they pop out the bearing cages or retainers, then they move all of the balls to one side together and then the inner race more or less falls out (or outer race depending on your setup). To assemble a ball bearing unit, you put in all the bearings on one side and slip the inner race in (liberal use of grease can help to hold things together) and then move the bearings equally about the ring, then snap in the bearing cages or retainers. There are probably some pretty amazing mathematics involved in the design of a ball bearing unit too.

I think I had a horror attack the first time I pulled the shaft out of a old Ford manual transmission and a thousand needle bearings all fell out. Putting it back together wasn't a big deal but it was sure scary that first time when you see it happen. That is when you get the horror feeling about what you just did to yourself or not.

They show how it is done here:
http://www.instructables.com/id/FULL...back-together/

Of course the How its made video is still a good one too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=eGyoMuE4gDQ
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by earlwb; Feb 23, 2013 at 10:50 AM. Reason: add more information
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:41 AM
Joined Nov 2012
219 Posts
That guy wrenching O no !!
Lol
Machzx is offline Find More Posts by Machzx
Old Feb 24, 2013, 10:08 PM
I bail out, anywhere, anytime
The Netherlands, OV, Almelo
Joined Nov 2010
2,853 Posts
Grooves are in the shaft so no inner races, my recumbent, own design.
So first press the outer races in the casing, insert the shaft, than balls both sides on top, divide the balls over the circumference and place the spacers on both sides. Lightest contruction with lowest drag.

Taurus Flyer
Taurus Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Taurus Flyer
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:24 AM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,798 Posts
Quote:
I think I had a horror attack the first time I pulled the shaft out of a old Ford manual transmission and a thousand needle bearings all fell out. Putting it back together wasn't a big deal but it was sure scary that first time when you see it happen. That is when you get the horror feeling about what you just did to yourself or not.
I remember my first Toploader transmission rebuild - that knot-in-the-pit-of-your-stomach feeling was there in full force. Shop manuals and common sense got it all back together and working 100%.

Quote:
Of course the How its made video is still a good one too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=eGyoMuE4gDQ
I could watch that show 24hrs a day, completely fascinating. Automation like that still amazes me....
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hemikiller; Feb 25, 2013 at 11:42 AM.