HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by BD Murdock, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:40 AM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Discussion
Calm Cool & Collected...

I wasn't...I thought I was...but I wasn't.

My favorite flying thing, my V202 with really cool NAV LED's was lost due to pilot error. Plain and simple pilot error
I thought I could 'fly' it back down from the horrific south east gale that catapulted it up, up and away so fast...but I couldn't...not enough weight & not enough thrust.
Also not enough experience to know what to do as I was very rapidly losing contact and perhaps even signal with my 202. Pilots call it 'situational awareness'. Maybe my ego got in the way thinking I was still in control when I wasn't.

Cut the throttle...why didn't I just cut the throttle? I still don't know the answer but the question came to my shocked mind about 10 seconds after I realized the 202 was way up and outta sight.

The only bad thing about learning a lesson the hard way is if you don't remember it. I will remember...and build another =]
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
Last edited by BD Murdock; Feb 08, 2013 at 08:48 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:29 AM
rip
United States, FL, Niceville
Joined Jan 2013
1,659 Posts
Sorry to hear about ur aircraft.
My eyes r not great, large prescription. That is my fear to lose a plane because I cannot see it
ripacheco is offline Find More Posts by ripacheco
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:05 AM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
1,206 Posts
Sorry to here that. It's a helpless feeling (speaking from experience).
1fullbird is offline Find More Posts by 1fullbird
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:00 AM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
Good news it was found a block and a half away as the crow flies. Ended up on a guys second story deck. He saw my poster and called me. The 202 is virtually bulletproof and suffered no damage at all. Very very lucky.
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:01 PM
rip
United States, FL, Niceville
Joined Jan 2013
1,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Murdock View Post
Good news it was found a block and a half away as the crow flies. Ended up on a guys second story deck. He saw my poster and called me. The 202 is virtually bulletproof and suffered no damage at all. Very very lucky.
yay!
ripacheco is offline Find More Posts by ripacheco
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:26 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Murdock View Post
I wasn't...I thought I was...but I wasn't.

My favorite flying thing, my V202 with really cool NAV LED's was lost due to pilot error. Plain and simple pilot error
I thought I could 'fly' it back down from the horrific south east gale that catapulted it up, up and away so fast...but I couldn't...not enough weight & not enough thrust.
Also not enough experience to know what to do as I was very rapidly losing contact and perhaps even signal with my 202. Pilots call it 'situational awareness'. Maybe my ego got in the way thinking I was still in control when I wasn't.

Cut the throttle...why didn't I just cut the throttle? I still don't know the answer but the question came to my shocked mind about 10 seconds after I realized the 202 was way up and outta sight.

The only bad thing about learning a lesson the hard way is if you don't remember it. I will remember...and build another =]
The same thing happened to me. Literally 2 hours after receiving my first quad from MassiveOverkill, I flew it incredibly high, the wind blew it out of sight and the throttle cut.
sparta342 is offline Find More Posts by sparta342
Old Jun 22, 2013, 12:27 PM
Do not fear my avatar ...
United States, NY, WOODHAVEN
Joined Dec 2012
212 Posts
My v202 was lost today for several minutes because it threw a Minipet prop in mid-air and my eye went with the prop and I didn't see where the v202 landed. Some guy's Boston Terrier, Benson found it finally. The canopy has some tooth marks in it and dents that won't come out. After wiping dog spit off of it, it still flies like new. Benson accepted a pat on the head for his assistance, and his mater gave him a cookie.
elburromjf is offline Find More Posts by elburromjf