HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:55 AM
tow
Norway, Nord-Trondelag, Namsos
Joined Dec 2003
1,089 Posts
Discussion
Wish there were a more reasenable way

Wish there were a more reasenable way to ship things other than USPS.......As of now, If the is order smaller goods, e.g. a pair of Nanos...cost $ 59.90
Shipping and handling $ 40.95
Do the math yourself!
Sorry to say......Makes me reluctant to order very often from XPS
tow is offline Find More Posts by tow
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:16 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,772 Posts
There is a cheaper way... airmail. A small order is about $7.00. The problem is that there is no way to track the package. We were "losing" about 1/2 the packages be shipped outside of the U.S. Which means that we had to re-ship those "lost" packages. Without insurance available to most countries, there is no way to recoup the loss. It was cheaper to lose potential orders than it was to keep re-shipping products.

I am looking at the possibility of adding 'risk' shipping. This means that if you choose that shipping option, there is no recourse for a package being lost in transit.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:12 AM
tow
Joined Dec 2003
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
There is a cheaper way... airmail. A small order is about $7.00. The problem is that there is no way to track the package. We were "losing" about 1/2 the packages be shipped outside of the U.S. Which means that we had to re-ship those "lost" packages. Without insurance available to most countries, there is no way to recoup the loss. It was cheaper to lose potential orders than it was to keep re-shipping products.

I am looking at the possibility of adding 'risk' shipping. This means that if you choose that shipping option, there is no recourse for a package being lost in transit.
I can see your point. However, a loss-percent of around 50 seems awfully high.???? Other companies I have dealt with using air-mail I have over years never lost a shipment! I sincerely hope You consider this as an option as I can see the need for ordering goods from XPS much more frequently
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:51 PM
Launceston Arpt, Tasmania, Australia
Joined Jan 2004
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tow View Post
I can see your point. However, a loss-percent of around 50 seems awfully high.???? Other companies I have dealt with using air-mail I have over years never lost a shipment! I sincerely hope You consider this as an option as I can see the need for ordering goods from XPS much more frequently
i agree with the above, 50 % loss, unheard of, at least from anywhere to Australia! Previously, I said that I have never lost a cheap postal item, in my whole life. (73 years). I must retract this statement. Last Xmas, a small container of medicine from New Zealand never arrived. It was shipped "as is",
3" high and 1 1/4" diameter. Due to the small size and the Xmas rush I would say that losing something like that is understandable and my "no-loss" record should stand.
50% loss! God! Do you now have a postal mafia in the US on top of all the other
'regular' ones?
E_ferret is offline Find More Posts by E_ferret
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:16 PM
Brisbane Australia
Joined Mar 2003
568 Posts
I think you will find that the parcels don't actually get lost.

Orders from XPS, probably because of its location at Lake Havusa AZ. take anything up to ten days longer to arrive than orders from Tower Hobbies in Champaign, IL .........At least that has been my experience herein Australia..

People give up waiting and just declare the items lost.
Graeme Marion is offline Find More Posts by Graeme Marion
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:48 PM
Bazz
Swift Current, SK. Canada
Joined May 2007
85 Posts
I too have never lost a package, can't imagine 50% being lost. I would be willing to assume the risk of loss or damage on many items for a more reasonable shipping cost. I'm sure I could send two Nano's to someone by placing them into an ordinary envelope with letter postage at very reasonable cost (like a buck for a stamp). Of course many shippers want a "handling charge" as well as shipping, which ends up costing me $22.00 total for one Nano. Needless to say I don't order one Nano.
Bazz is offline Find More Posts by Bazz
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:08 AM
tow
Joined Dec 2003
1,089 Posts
So there you have it Jim! Looks like you will have much greater sales on the smaller items if you open for another shipping option, so pleese........???
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:52 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,185 Posts
I think that what Jim wants to hear specifically is that if customers are willing to accept all the risk if the package goes missing by selecting that shipping option... so, if it did indeed go missing, that he wont receive a call asking for more stuff to be sent to replace what was lost at XPS's expense. sounds like if you accept the risk, you may get what you want.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:10 AM
tow
Joined Dec 2003
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
I think that what Jim wants to hear specifically is that if customers are willing to accept all the risk if the package goes missing by selecting that shipping option... so, if it did indeed go missing, that he wont receive a call asking for more stuff to be sent to replace what was lost at XPS's expense. sounds like if you accept the risk, you may get what you want.
I have a feeling that the majority of modellers are willing to take that risk.......or could I be wrong? As stated earlier, a percent loss of nearly half is huge (and of course unacceptable for both vendor & customers) As said, been using air-mail for years - Never lost a shipment!
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:13 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,772 Posts
In several cases - actually many cases - it was clear that we were just getting ripped off by certain individuals.

I will look at adding the 'airmail' option, which just recently became available via the USPS shipping options for online label generation.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:33 PM
tow
Joined Dec 2003
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
In several cases - actually many cases - it was clear that we were just getting ripped off by certain individuals.

I will look at adding the 'airmail' option, which just recently became available via the USPS shipping options for online label generation.
I think the majority of the modeling enviroment will appreciate this
Let`s hope the small (?) party of rippers will come to sense for the better of all.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:49 PM
United States, AZ, Lake Havasu City
Joined Feb 2010
913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazz View Post
I too have never lost a package, can't imagine 50% being lost. I would be willing to assume the risk of loss or damage on many items for a more reasonable shipping cost. I'm sure I could send two Nano's to someone by placing them into an ordinary envelope with letter postage at very reasonable cost (like a buck for a stamp). Of course many shippers want a "handling charge" as well as shipping, which ends up costing me $22.00 total for one Nano. Needless to say I don't order one Nano.
Here is my recent experience with doing that: Over two weeks ago, I wrapped a male/female XT-60 connector in foam and slipped it into an envelope and mailed it first class from Arizona to California. It finally arrived yesterday, but the original envelope was torn open and then stuffed in a larger envelope sans the connector, but with the foam I wrapped the XT-60 in. I am sure glad it wasn't something more valuable such as a Nano!

SpadCat
SpadCat2000 is offline Find More Posts by SpadCat2000
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:05 AM
Brisbane Australia
Joined Mar 2003
568 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpadCat2000 View Post
Here is my recent experience with doing that: Over two weeks ago, I wrapped a male/female XT-60 connector in foam and slipped it into an envelope and mailed it first class from Arizona to California. It finally arrived yesterday, but the original envelope was torn open and then stuffed in a larger envelope sans the connector, but with the foam I wrapped the XT-60 in. I am sure glad it wasn't something more valuable such as a Nano!

SpadCat
O'boy!
If this is true then there is something seriously wrong with the U.S. mail service.
Graeme Marion is offline Find More Posts by Graeme Marion
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:22 AM
most exalted one
BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,500 Posts
My experience with USPS is that XPS encountered the "shady" losses. I have had one damaged package out of many and it was covered by the insurance. None lost.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:08 AM
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Dec 2005
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Marion View Post
O'boy!
If this is true then there is something seriously wrong with the U.S. mail service.
Much of our mail is machine sorted and gets processed thru machines. If the item (such as a nano) is in the least bulky then the ripped envelope scenario is very likely to happen. Sometimes you get away with it, mostly not.
j_whitney is online now Find More Posts by j_whitney