HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:30 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Frolik View Post
....Hence they attribute any misgivings or frustrations to having flown too close to the sun, which, in turn, melted their wings and caused their model to crash to the ground.
'Brown out' seems to be the most popular lame excuse for crashing these days. Strangely these 'brown-out's' seem to disproportionately happen to inexperienced flyers and most often on the final turn on landing approach
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:38 PM
Joined Nov 2011
936 Posts
Not only do they misdiagnose the problem, but then they usually attribute the "brown out" to a faulty receiver. I have even seen a case where a guy claimed that the TRANSMITTER caused it!
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:55 PM
Bishopville S.C.
Joined May 2003
3,981 Posts
Often it is not pilot error. It may be due to an overstressed component or even servos installed backward. Can't blame that on the pilot.
Ron H is online now Find More Posts by Ron H
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:01 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
Indeed, but no one actually claimed it to be anything other than 'personal experience'. Having said that I've been flying RC since the early 70's so statistically it's highly likely that my personal experience is a 'representative sample' of the whole
I'm not debating with you, I'm using your comment as a springboard to more humor. At least, I thought it was funny. Dumb thumbs cause most of my crashes. I can only point out 3 in my 40+ years of modeling that were definitely NOT thumb (or wrist, from my C/L days) related.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:02 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H View Post
Often it is not pilot error. It may be due to an overstressed component or even servos installed backward. Can't blame that on the pilot.
You can if he's also the Crew Chief!

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:07 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,451 Posts
Quote:
In my case the component that's overstressed usually is the pilot .

But it's true that not all crashes are pilot error. Some of them are midairs and as everyone knows they're caused by "the other pilot's error" .

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:29 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,025 Posts
Quote:
It may be due to...servos installed backward. Can't blame that on the pilot.
You can if it was the pilot who installed the servos, or if the pilot did not perform a proper preflight check before takeoff.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:34 PM
Stick, roger ball.
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Oct 2011
344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnagel View Post
You can if it was the pilot who installed the servos, or if the pilot did not perform a proper preflight check before takeoff.

Larry
Done that...

Now, just like when I was flying full size aircraft, I say my pre-flight checks out loud.
Stick_01 is offline Find More Posts by Stick_01
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:48 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,386 Posts
That always pays off... and check the aileron throw from the rear of the plane!
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Mar 09, 2013, 01:19 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Mar 2012
1,086 Posts
myth # 123

A motor must be warmed up prior to pylon racing, aerobatics, and 3D.
rcmaverick is online now Find More Posts by rcmaverick