HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Aros, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:42 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Discussion
My Build Review of the FMS V3 1400MM F4U-4 Corsair

It turns out I couldn't wait after all. I decided to unbox and build her tonight since my time is limited tomorrow and I wanted to make sure I could squeeze in the maiden.

Plus my impatience is legendary.

So let's take a look!

Packaging

The plane came extremely well packaged as per the FMS standard. The individual plastic wrapping has zip-lock seals, gone are the days of tearing into the vacuum-sealed bags by hand or knife or scissor with the risk of inadvertent puncturing of the foam parts. Just don't ask me how I know about that.

Uninstalled ESC?

I was surprised that the ESC came uninstalled. Not a big deal for me as I always take mine to the LHS to have them soder a Deans connector on them but I was surprised all the same. It will be interesting to see if other's have the same issue or if it was just mine for whatever reason. I installed an old Eflite 60A ESC I had lying around since it already had a Deans and I could test everything. I may maiden with it tomorrow after I run a static amp test with the wattmeter and everything checks out okay. The stock ESC is a 65A so we'll see how the test goes before I decide what to maiden with.

Thy Static Tailwheel, Why Thou Ye Spite Thee?

Well here she is. As you can see the doors are molded into the body of the fuselage and there is nothing retractable about the tail wheel. I know this is a major source of contention with many, and quite frankly I'm still completely perplexed with FMS went ahead with a new version release without a feature that has become commonplace. At least it looks the part. I'll refrain on commenting further until I have a few flights on her. Only then will I be able to gauge how much it does - or does not - bother me.

Quality

Overall, the quality of the parts are what you would and should expect from FMS. The parts all fit together well, and the mold is solid. I did have some damage to my starboard wing which must have come in the boxing phase. Not a problem for me as I almost always repaint my planes from stock to my own chosen livery. A little spackle, sanding and painting the entire plane and she's as good as new.

However, for those of you who do not like to, nor anticipate the need for cosmetic repair work, this could be an issue. Hopefully again, this is an isolated issue with my particular plane and not a symptom of the boxing stage.

I am looking forward to the day when foam is completely void of any "alligator skin" effect. It seems more pronounced to me on this 1400 version versus my 1700 version, but it could also be the fact that I was putting her together in pretty bright light. Regardless, I will be celebrating the day the dimples are gone and all that is left is a perfectly smooth surface. Admittedly, I'm nit-picking. Overall, I'm still so impressed with the quality we get in these foam warbirds these days.

Battery Compartment and CG

The battery compartment is angled downward with ample room for a decent 4S battery. I slid a 4S 4000 mAh in (the manual calls for a smaller size) and it fit just fine. The entire compartment has plenty of room for your battery, ESC, receiver and wiring.

The CG is 110MM from the leading edge. With my 4400 shoved all the way down, it is a bit nose heavy. Due to the angle, I can't move it aft without getting in the way of closing the canopy so I will either have to use a smaller mAh size or get creative.

Wanna See Her With The Proper Scale Prop?

I had a spare 1700 F4U-4 prop assembly that I just had to put on her so I could drool. I have to tell you, it looks SO much better than the stock prop size they come with and are meant for. The first two photos are the 1700 prop, the last two are the stock prop. I will be bugging FMS something silly about offering these warbirds with their appropriately-scaled props. I just don't see a good reason why they shouldn't be coming that way.

1700-Size Prop...

Stock...

Summary

I always want to be honest in my reviews above all else. My desire to give an accurate assessment to my fellow flyers is of most importance to me, regardless of my affiliations. In the end, this is yet another offering that is sure to make a lot of warbird enthusiasts quite pleased. Despite the issues I mentioned, the overall quality, scale look, features, pain-free and quick assembly time is not to be understated.

The entire build took me just over an hour and not a swear word was muttered, honest! Every part went together as it should, and while the manual won't win any awards for grammar, they have come a long way in offering a much more detailed set of instructions and information than ever before.

The retracts, sequenced gear doors and all control surface servos worked perfectly the very first time. The tanks and missiles give her that added presence that will no doubt impress both on the ground and in the air.

I'm looking forward to getting her in the skies and see what she's made of. I especially like the idea of easily getting her in and out of my car - with a few other 1400 pals. I'll report on the maiden next. Stay tuned!

Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 01:14 PM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,721 Posts
EDIT...sorry, now I'm caught up.
Kev71H is offline Find More Posts by Kev71H
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:55 PM
Joined Oct 2011
42 Posts
AROS,
Who stocks this and how much is the shipping?
Thank you,
Tom
totalperfm is offline Find More Posts by totalperfm
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:30 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
You might try PW-RC.com or RC-Castle.com.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:21 PM
Monahans TX
Joined Sep 2010
1,925 Posts
So, what's the major differences between the V2 and V3?
I haven't been following the Corsair much.

What kind of repaint are you going with?
Always wanted to see one in this scheme, just because it's not blue and gray:
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.co...Rapasi/00.shtm

Or maybe the scheme they used in the Football Wars

The Royal Navy had an OD scheme for their Corsairs (sweet!):

WestTexasKing is offline Find More Posts by WestTexasKing
Last edited by WestTexasKing; Feb 18, 2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:33 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
That first photo looks sweet! Almost like a smokey camo OD.

I can't recall what V2 was like...I know the main thing they added was flaps.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:38 PM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,721 Posts
More on this?
Kev71H is offline Find More Posts by Kev71H
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:56 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,355 Posts
V2 was the same airplane as V1 but got a different kv motor with a 65amp esc and a 4 blade prop. V3 is a different model Corsair and now comes with flaps
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:57 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,355 Posts
How about some pics of the flaps
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:05 AM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Mar 2013
406 Posts
Question about 1700mm & 1400mm Corsair

Aros,
Your reviews are awesome, Thanks!
I am getting ready to make a purchasing decision on either the FMS 1400mm or 1700mm Corsair

I have 2 questions I am hoping you can answer.
1. How "portable" are either of these planes? Meaning, is it relatively easy to take off the wing on these models?

2. If I get the 1700mm, I think I am going to buy the kit. I want to put in a different motor, ESC and servos just because I do not own an FMS model and if I spend this kind of $$$ on a plane, I want to put in electronics that I know are proven. (to me) And yes, this will be more expensive than the PnP. I am fine with that.

How difficult is it to put a different motor in? Does it involve all kinds of drilling and changes/replacements to the motor mount? Most likely, the motor I buy will either be Eflite or Turnigy. I am very much of the "drop in" replacement school. I don't want to do a giant amount of modifications and worrying about the angle that the motor is mounted at, prop clearances etc.

I also plan on buying either model from MotionRC who has absolutely incredible support. I know that I can talk to the owners of that company and they will answer my questions about the dihedral to see if it has changed on the 1700 and when the time comes, even the specific model they will ship to me.

I'd really appreciate your feedback!
Thanks in advance!
Whirlybird2012 is offline Find More Posts by Whirlybird2012
Old Jun 26, 2013, 11:44 AM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Hi Whirlybird...The 1400 is very portable as it is usually small enough to where it will fit in most vehicles without having to take the wing off. The 1700 is more likely to need to take the wing off for transport unless you have a large van or SUV. Both the 1400 and 1700 are easy to remove the wing....They are secured simply by 4 bolt screws. I bring my drill with me. Makes the process easy and quick.

I get why you would want to buy the kit and put proven electronics in, and I would never discourage that outside of the fact that I have never had a problem with FMS electronics on these planes. The hub/props/mount has been a different story but they've improved those elements over time.

As for swapping motors, I really wouldn't know since I've never upgraded or modified the FMS stock motor on my FMS planes. You may try searching the build threads for upgraded motors or motor modifications.

You can't go wrong with MotionRC. They are the best RC online distributor for FMS hands down.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2013, 12:50 PM
Joined Mar 2013
406 Posts
Thanks for the fast response Aros! You answered my questions.

Any idea if the dihedral ever got changed? The thread is pretty old regarding your 1700mm build and you seem to have your pulse on FMS so I thought I would ask.
Thanks again!
Old Jun 26, 2013, 01:10 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,407 Posts
Unfortunately that I am not sure about. I can ask someone and find out...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:55 PM
Joined Mar 2013
406 Posts
If it is something as simple as an email, that would be greatly appreciated! Otherwise, I'll contact the folks at MRC and look through other forums to see if I can get an answer.
Thanks for the help!