HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:42 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,737 Posts
Discussion
Park Zone P-47 Thunderbolt using PZ 480 (960Kv)

Hello good people!

If you are wondering what I am doing switching very capable Stock Park Zone 15 Brushless Motor out from this fine Thunderbolt is because a few people starting to post that the Thunderbolt would not fly using the Park Zone 480 (960Kv) and that it will have just too little airspeed etc...etc.......etc.......so, I took the challenge!

This is to prove that you certainly can install the smaller Park Zone 480 (960Kv) brushless motor (Dr. Kiwi has this motor normalized as a 910Kv motor).

First, if you like to see what I did while using the Stock Park Zone 15 then, please visit this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1826517

Also, here is Dr. Kiwi's Normalized Kv for the PZ 480 motor:
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/bha...rkzone480.html

Okay, I will now discuss the modification done to allow for the smaller Park Zone 480 Brushless motor to be installed on the P-47 Thunderbolt.

Therefore, for those that "are" interested then, here are some pictures showing what Hardware I used for spacers and bolts to allow for a good distance from Firewall and allowing to clear the opening of the Cowling using the PZ 480 (960Kv) Brushless motor and swinging the GWS 4-Blade 10 X 8 X 4 Electric Plastic Propeller.

Measuring....

3/4th of an inch spacing was determined so....

Tethering Setup:

here are the results of my "Static" Testing using the Park Zone 480 (960Kv) Brushless Motor and using the Stock T-28 Propeller Adapter!

1/4 Throttle: 2 Amps / 12.34V / 22 Watts

1/2 Throttle: 5.5 Amps / 12.2V / 65 Watts

3/4 Throttle: 14.7Amps / 11.8V / 180 Watts

FULL Throttle: 25.8 Amps / 11.45V / 283 Watts

VIDEO:
Park Zone P-47 Thunderbolt with Park Zone 480 (960Kv) and GWS 10 X 8 X 4 02-07-2013 (2 min 55 sec)

EDIT: The Maiden Flight using the PZ 480 (960Kv) will take place on Saturday, (02-09-2013)
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Feb 08, 2013 at 05:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:57 AM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,867 Posts
I agree with you, Carlos, that the 480 motor will provide completely adequate power for this plane.

I'm frequently distressed about the obsession with overpowering planes. Most fly fine with the supplied, or even smaller, motors. The MM, for example, is very powerful and fast with the stock motor - especially if propped up a bit. And yet the thread is now fixated on further overpowering the plane!

I personally prefer moderately powered planes as they fly more like scale planes. They look and perform more like the real thing. I'm glad to see you taking the time to prove that "more is not always better!"
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:15 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
I agree with you, Carlos, that the 480 motor will provide completely adequate power for this plane.

I'm frequently distressed about the obsession with overpowering planes. Most fly fine with the supplied, or even smaller, motors. The MM, for example, is very powerful and fast with the stock motor - especially if propped up a bit. And yet the thread is now fixated on further overpowering the plane!

I personally prefer moderately powered planes as they fly more like scale planes. They look and perform more like the real thing. I'm glad to see you taking the time to prove that "more is not always better!"
I just want to prove that the PZ 480 is a very good motor and this model (Jug) will fly with several oz. less and yet it still balances correctly.

The actual flight Video will have to wait until Saturday.

The amazing is that I am getting

FULL Throttle: 25.8 Amps / 11.45V / 283 Watts

Plus my P-47 Thunderbolt is weighing 40 1/4 oz.

Thereby, 283 Watts / 2.5lbs. = 113.2 Watts per Pound

RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:23 AM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,867 Posts
Jug will fly beautifully with this power system and the lighter weight will allow slower landing, takeoff and flight speed. You'll actually have time to see and enjoy it as it passes by!
dbc is online now Find More Posts by dbc
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:39 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
Jug will fly beautifully with this power system and the lighter weight will allow slower landing, takeoff and flight speed. You'll actually have time to see and enjoy it as it passes by!
David,

The model lands like a Baby Doll with the Flaps and even with the STOCK Park Zone 15.

I am anticipating an even more docile landing profile (at least 2oz. savings) while using the Park Zone 480 (960Kv).

Can't wait for Saturday morning!
RCG Plus Member