HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:45 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
Build Log
need help making first plane design

a wile ago I got my younger brother to purchase a little bipe off of nitroplanes.com. when we got it in the mail it had a really poofed battery, a broken servo, and most likely broken esc. I've been working on building him a plane for the stuff that works and replacing the others. I now have all the parts but the motor that it came with won't move, then it'll jump ahead, stop, start, stop, rev up and hold it for a minute, stop, start, ect. what's causing this? esc gets hot and i'm pretty shur it's for 1s but the kit came with a 2s. the plane was preaty heavy so I thought that building a profile plane out of epp would work but now that i'm looking at the weights of the stuff, I don't know how the original had any chance of flying! the motor that looks the same as the one we have has a max thrust of 110 grams and i'm preaty shur that the battery and rx I have weigh that much! I need to figure out a motor for this and need help. there was one on hobbyking that said it'd get 730 grams of thrust but it is a lot bigger and needs a 7 inch prop. the original used one that was 4 inches. please help me out.

edit: i think this is about the electronics kit that the plane came with but with a bigger motor: http://www.hobbypartz.com/88e-adh100-mb003.html
builder bob is offline Find More Posts by builder bob
Last edited by builder bob; Mar 30, 2013 at 05:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:50 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
found this motor with a little more power: http://www.hobbypartz.com/88e-mm201-...or-2900kv.html what does the killa volt rating mean?
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:35 PM
FPV Proximity is FUN!
Australia, WA, York
Joined May 2012
1,140 Posts
The starting and stopping means that your esc is to small try getting a bigger on or a bigger battery.
fOaMmaSh87 is offline Find More Posts by fOaMmaSh87
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:40 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,236 Posts
You are probably referring to the "2900 KV" rating on this motor.

It doesn't mean "Killa" anything (or, kilo, either).

Kv is the technical term (or abbreviation) for one of the three standard motor constants. Kv denotes the number of RPM's the motor spins for every volt applied to a winding. If you were to chuck the motor shaft in a variable speed drill, and run it up to 1,000 RPM, you would read about one volt on any two of the three wires exiting a brushless motor.

The other two motor constants are Rm, which represents the winding resistance in Ohms. The third is Io which denotes the no-load current of any winding. Together, these three constants define the design characteristics of all electric motors.

Generally, the lower Kv motors produce more thrust at a given voltage. Higher Kv motors are favored in planes with high speed flight.
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:43 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fOaMmaSh87 View Post
The starting and stopping means that your esc is to small try getting a bigger on or a bigger battery.
tried 1s and 2s lipos and had the same problem. will get a new speed controler
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:45 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356Jim View Post
You are probably referring to the "2900 KV" rating on this motor.

It doesn't mean "Killa" anything (or, kilo, either).

Kv is the technical term (or abbreviation) for one of the three standard motor constants. Kv denotes the number of RPM's the motor spins for every volt applied to a winding. If you were to chuck the motor shaft in a variable speed drill, and run it up to 1,000 RPM, you would read about one volt on any two of the three wires exiting a brushless motor.

The other two motor constants are Rm, which represents the winding resistance in Ohms. The third is Io which denotes the no-load current of any winding. Together, these three constants define the design characteristics of all electric motors.

Generally, the lower Kv motors produce more thrust at a given voltage. Higher Kv motors are favored in planes with high speed flight.
that's a great explanation, thanks! I had no idea
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:04 AM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
is it possible to use a motor that the wires that plug into the esc have broken off of? can they just be soldered back on? would it work to test the motor with a 60 amp esc just to see if it spins?
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:27 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by builder bob View Post
is it possible to use a motor that the wires that plug into the esc have broken off of? can they just be soldered back on? would it work to test the motor with a 60 amp esc just to see if it spins?
If the broken wire has a little bit of length left, free of the windings, then absolutely solder the broken lead back on, or use a new piece of wire.

Using a 60 amp ESC would be fine, it's just overkill!!!

A word of caution, tho.......

If the motor is intended for a single LiPo cell situation, then the 60 amp ESC may not function. If 2 or more cells, then you'll be fine. Just run the motor for a short while and then check to see if it's running hot - not a desirable situation!!
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:32 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
there's no wire poking out. I don't think I can fix it, I pulled apart the motor and there's nothing to connect to
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:40 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
going to make an order from hobbyking. replacing motor, esc and a servo. put the stuff I had together last night and added an extra big servo to account for the other parts that are going to be added. glided alright with no airfoil. the motor i'm hoping to get produces more the 200 grams of thrust. I hope the prop it uses won't torq the plane over. is a 6 inch prop to big for a plane with a 16 inch wingspan?
Last edited by builder bob; Feb 23, 2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 08:22 AM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
ordered all the parts that I think are needed
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:48 PM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
glue and tape arrived so now I can finish the fuse.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:32 AM
United States, MA
Joined Oct 2011
602 Posts
I think the prop is to big
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:37 PM
OY-5542
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Silkeborg
Joined Nov 2009
726 Posts
Hi Builder Bob!

The prop does not especially seem too big in relation to the plane, it looks quite ok. It really depends on what you want to accomplish, but in this case, to me, it looks adequate (compared to i.e. some aerobatic planes, it is not that big at all). A more important question is, if it is the right prop for the chosen motor?
I think you'd like to resize the elevator, it is very small compared to the rest of the plane. In general, you'd want to have a very large tail surface, both horizontal and vertical, otherwise you might end up with a lack of stability.

Happy landings :-)
Chrizz is offline Find More Posts by Chrizz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oxy 0.5
Old Mar 11, 2013, 02:27 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
+1 on the tiny elevator, might need a bit more dihedral too!
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan