Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:57 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Complaint
Speaking of selective moderation and inconsistency

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...php?p=24010376

So that's today's point du'jour. I get the data mining thing going on, and I get the "message" being sent by what appears to be completely excessive, and more often times than not overturned infractions being given out.

But this? Really?

Here the mod's comment in this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1822769&page=5

It looks like there are a lot of rule violations in this thread, so instead of handing out a bunch of infractions we're just going to close this thread.

Then there is Jim's comment from today in response to a issue brought up by Don:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1826399

This was not done because it was inconvenient for the moderator. It was done to keep from issuing points to multiple users. The first post of the thread was warned as a personal attack. That is usually good sign the thread is going to go bad. On the other I do see your point. I will take a look.

Sounds great, I get it.

But then, the mods do exactly what they said they were NOT going to do and go back and point people.

And what gets pointed, a comment about moderation. And that qualifies as content to be hidden from view, but comments about drug use, calling people thieves, and all other forms of accusations and even some profanity here and there are just shrunk from view, not hidden?

I'd like to think that I have a chance of this being overturned, but given the past few days it's probably better to make the comment a glowing one, or nothing at all. Does this really need to be appealed at put on the backburner for two weeks?

If we could have some clarity on those comments from the mods, that would be great.

Thanks.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:18 PM
Administrator
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2002
11,444 Posts
You were discussing moderation in Trader Talk.
That does qualify as flatulence:
Flatulence is when a user brings up a controversial off-topic issue (e.g. religion, politics, moderation issues) within the course of an on-topic discussion. Please keep all content in its proper place at RCGroups.

There were others in the thread that were also warned for flatulence and edited their posts.

Quote:
And that qualifies as content to be hidden from view, but comments about drug use, calling people thieves, and all other forms of accusations and even some profanity here and there are just shrunk from view, not hidden?
That is a site issue and something you could bring up in a separate thread in this forum. Please provide any suggestions on how you think this could be made to work better.

Quote:
I'd like to think that I have a chance of this being overturned, but given the past few days it's probably better to make the comment a glowing one, or nothing at all. Does this really need to be appealed at put on the backburner for two weeks?
Your option here is to edit your post or request an appeal.

Quote:
If we could have some clarity on those comments from the mods, that would be great.
Should a mod close a thread with multiple rule infractions or simply warn every post? That is up to the mod. If a user has a problem with that they can bring the issue up in this forum, as the Don and you have done. There is no way to make everyone happy. In the end that thread remained closed and appropriate points were handed out.

Please follow site rules and if you are given a warning you can edit your post and your point will be removed, or you always have the option not to edit it.
Jim T. Graham is online now Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:00 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Although I appreciate the time you took to respond, you really didn't address the issue of why both you and a mod said the thread was closed to avoid giving out points, when that was completely the opposite of what happened. It was not only closed, but multiple points were awarded to multiple people. No matter, the post had been edited, consider the appeal withdrawn.

As for posting a separate thread with suggestions on how to improve or recommend ideas for future changes, I can only ask why at this point? I've made some in the past, to no avail. Even ones that appeared to have merit and seemed to get some traction. Far more wise ideas and suggestions have been made here over the past few years by well established members. It's either "good idea, we'll take a look at that next time we talk, or we'll put that on the list of suggestions". I don't recall a single thing that's changed as a result of a user suggestion, at least not one that was announced. I'm a relative noob of 3 plus years, so that's my frame of reference. I could be wrong. But I'll give it one more shot. My suggestion would be to have a thread in the support forums somewhere that announces or highlights user generated ideas/suggestions, and how they are being acted upon. That might be better than "we'll add that to a list to talk about later" (which I think is what the response to this suggestion is going to get )

Finally, this:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...90&postcount=1

Brilliant really. I can't say I'm in agreement with mods this past week, but I'd allow Kenny to moderate my posts going forward on a trial basis. Who knows, I may come to find I had it easy all along. As a fellow New Englander he can't be that bad, plus he's a long time member who floats between Trader Talk, Classifieds, and LTUP with narry a point. Clearly doing something right.

And I'll spring for the gas card too.

As always, thanks for your time.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:16 PM
Administrator
United States, TN, Nashville
Joined Mar 2002
11,444 Posts
Quote:
Although I appreciate the time you took to respond, you really didn't address the issue of why both you and a mod said the thread was closed to avoid giving out points, when that was completely the opposite of what happened. It was not only closed, but multiple points were awarded to multiple people. No matter, the post had been edited, consider the appeal withdrawn.
The Don was upset no points were handed out. You were upset when point were handed out. It's obvious there is no way to make everyone happy. I am going to discuss this topic with our moderators to make sure our rules are being enforced in an even manner in the future.

Quote:
As for posting a separate thread with suggestions on how to improve or recommend ideas for future changes, I can only ask why at this point? I've made some in the past, to no avail.
Suggestions made by users are looked at and discussed in site meetings. Those that make it through the filter process are then implemented by our techs. The list of changes being made to the site is can get long and none of these changes are instantaneous. Our techs release changes in groups so keep you eye out for them.

Quote:
I'd allow Kenny to moderate my posts going forward on a trial basis.
All moderation on RCG, and our partner sites, is handled by our staff. I'm pretty sure Kenny was joking about being a moderator. Mark Wood hit the nail on the head. There is nothing fun about moderating. There is no scheduled change in our moderation system at this time.

I have looked at your account today and while we enjoy having you as a user I would urge you to take a look at our site rules and abide by them. Have a great weekend.
Jim T. Graham is online now Find More Posts by Jim T. Graham
Administrator
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:25 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
I actually agreed with Don, and recognize everyone is responsible for their posts. The issue was the inconsistent message being sent by the mods.

I agree with Kenny as well, moderating is hellishly difficult I'm sure. I got that he was joking, so was I.

Thanks for the review of my account, and the link to the rule page. I show one point that comes off in April.

As I've stated above, I edited the post, so the appeal is not needed.
Last edited by porcia83; Feb 08, 2013 at 08:19 PM. Reason: clarifying