SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:49 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Build Log
FMS V7.5 P-51 BBD: The Nav Lights!

The Big Beautiful Doll's Navigation Lights!

FMS P-51D BBD_Nav Lights (3 min 55 sec)

Because I was going to add a few embellishments to the BBD's light system, I had to do some mods to the existing nav lights so I could use the Lazertoyz Maxi Lite controller. Observing the nav lights were working off a 5v input I knew there had to be a resistor somewhere inline? Sure enough, there were 75 ohm resistors embedded in the shrink wrap at the LEDs. The Maxi has built in resistors to handle 3v 5mm LEDs such as those FMS uses in their wing nav lights, so having two resistors on the same line would diminished the mcd output of the LED. After removing the resistors, re-soldering, and installing new shrink wrap, I re-installed both the red/port & green/starboard LEDs back in their respective housings. I have the nav light leads wired into the 16-pin harness and plugged into the "solid on" ch. 3 on the Maxi controller.

The next step was to install a beacon light in the rudder. I cover how I went about doing that on the "Tail Feathers" section. Because of the limited size I had to work with, I chose to use a 3mm flat top red LED with 10,000mcd / 115 output. I installed a JST connector on the 32ga. red/black silicon wire lead, and have it plugged into "double blink strobe" ch. 7 on the Maxi.

With the beacon light mod done, it was on to the cockpit illumination. I used two 5mm diffused red LEDs anchored on with a couple of these 5mm tube clips. Using a JST connector I made enough lead with the 32ga. wire so I would have enough slack to set the cockpit assembly on the wing when I needed to access the the interior. I'm using the "solid on" ch.1 connection on the Maxi for the cockpit lights as it's easy to access. The two lights illuminate the cockpit along with the nav lights at the same time.

The last mod was a set of landing lights. I am aware that the P-51 has only one landing light located in the port wheel bay, but I decided I wanted two for no other reason then the Kewl factor, plus, if I'm going to make special housings, I might as well make two! I did this same mod on my Starmax P-51 and really liked the way they came out.

Starmax P-51 Nav Lights (2 min 50 sec)

It was a trial & error process trying to make these light brackets conform to the limited area between the strut and outer fairing doors, but after numerous attempts I finally designed something that would work. My first prototypes were painted silver so the light would only emit from the opening, but I found that omitting the paint, some light would radiate out from the fixtures and illuminate the wheel bay and parts of the wing, which in my case, just enhanced the KEWL factor!

Using UHMW plastic I was able to cut, shape, sand and drill the fixtures into something I could work with. Because of the struts forward inclinations, I drilled the holes differently on both the port and starboard housing so the LEDs would point downward on each side. I installed 5mm round top ultra-bright 18,000mcd LEDs in the fixtures. Because the wiring would have to be flexible I used 32ga. silicon wire and made a clamp using one of the E-Tract screws as the anchor. The leads run thru the 16-pin harness, and with a JST connector, they're plugged in to the "solid on landing" ch. 2 on the Maxi.

The landing light fixtures fit tightly to these FMS V7.5 struts, but to insure they stay in place I ground a small groove half way down the side of the large strut hole so that I can squirt a shot of CS in there if need be.

I have to say, in the dark the Big Beautiful Doll looks sweeeeet all lit up!
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sandancer; Mar 19, 2013 at 02:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:02 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,306 Posts
Sorry, but I gotta tell that those wing-tip lights are the wrong way around.
Port (left) is red, starboard (right) is green.
Whiskers is offline Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:28 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
Sorry, but I gotta tell that those wing-tip lights are the wrong way around.
Port (left) is red, starboard (right) is green.
Yeah, I caught that after I had already U/L to YouTube. They've sense been corrected.

Gary
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:36 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,306 Posts
Good! That'll shut up know-alls like me.
Whiskers is offline Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:44 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskers View Post
Good! That'll shut up know-alls like me.
I am betting it won't!

Gary
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:14 AM
United States, OH, Reynoldsburg
Joined May 2004
1,762 Posts
Man .....Your Sumpin'
Your mods are outstanding

Woody
W. X. Davis is offline Find More Posts by W. X. Davis
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:57 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by W. X. Davis View Post
Man .....Your Sumpin'
Your mods are outstanding

Woody
Thanks Woody! Coming from you, I consider that a true compliment!

Have you been following the Corsair thread? Looks like FMS might have a few problems peddling that V2?

Gary
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2013, 03:23 PM
Comin' in HOT!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Dec 2012
2,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandancer View Post
The last mod was a set of landing lights. I am aware that the P-51 has only one landing light located in the port wheel bay, but I decided I wanted two for no other reason then the Kewl factor, plus, if I'm going to make special housings, I might as well make two!
I really like your mods.

It's ok, some P51's have two landing lights.... I have a v7.5 Ferocious Frankie that I'd like to add some to. So your thread and this pic is my inspiration.

tdford is offline Find More Posts by tdford
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-18 v2