HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:08 PM
R/C newbie
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Mar 2008
181 Posts
Discussion
Newbie learning heli: Why does the Heli climb up fast

I am a newbie trying to learn flying heli. I am learning it on RF 6.5 and on the WL toys V911.

The most frustrating part for me has been that the heli climbs up even without me giving much throttle. It is so hard to keep the altitude.

Is this normal ?

Would more practice allow me to get a better grip on the altitude issue?

Thanks for any feedback!
rkovvur is offline Find More Posts by rkovvur
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:05 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
Sounds like a throttle management issue. Because the air you fly in is always in some sort of movement, you'll constantly be making throttle adjustments. My dog walks by my Nano and it'll upset the hover enough to send it in a random direction if I'm not ready for it. It's not quite so bad with a Fixed Pitch heli than a Collective Pitch is. Any air movement will mess with the flight characteristics, especially close to the ground, i.e., "ground effect". I've had that affect flight as high as 3 or 4 feet above the floor, sometimes not at all...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:07 PM
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,726 Posts
Throttle/collective control is one of the many skills you will need to master. Keep practicing!!
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:18 PM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
United States, MO, Platte City
Joined Jun 2012
677 Posts
Totally normal...just keep practicing.

Remember to use small and slow control movements. New pilots almost always over control with jerky and extreme control inputs. It only takes a little bit of control input to make an adjustment mid-flight.
Chubbs is offline Find More Posts by Chubbs
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:22 PM
United Kingdom, England, Central Bedfordshire
Joined Dec 2012
1,274 Posts
hi i fly a wltoy v911 time and pratice helps with throttle control its a great little heli does not mind a crash or 4 lol comes back for more every time ,,, happy flying you soon have it sorted
holtneil is offline Find More Posts by holtneil
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:32 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,374 Posts
Yes. Are you punching the throttle? When your about to lift off you spin up the heli on the ground until it looks like the helis just about to lift off. From that point is where you really start flying. Give it a little more throttle and it flies, you gradually raise the throttle until you get to your desired height. I've had others try to fly the v911 and they always treat it like an RC car, they punch the throttle to what they think the height should be, and overshoots it more often than not.

And you'll also have to learn how to hold the TX properly. A TX is a personal thing and how you use it affects the what you choose in the future. Fingers along the side? Fingers on the back? Middle on the front and pinkie at bottom? Try pinching the sticks, having two fingers on it helps you do finer incremental movements than thumbs.

Do you accidentally move the rudder when throttling? It took me a while to learn how to move the stick perfectly straight up and down and even longer to learn side to side
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:03 PM
A&P in training
United States, CA, Vacaville
Joined Dec 2008
1,262 Posts
Just a little bit of a breeze/draft over the rotor disc will cause it to climb, as soon as the draft clears the disc, the helicopter will want to settle back down which is just the nature of a helicopter which is known as Translational Lift (Full size and little ones)..The more you get used to the machine, you will be able to feel it out..Also, you do have to be very smooth and precise with throttle technique as stated above.
ASTREA1 is offline Find More Posts by ASTREA1
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:24 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,445 Posts
At first, yes it's very difficult to control altitude, but you get it after a while. Go pick up an Air Hogs and learn with that maybe. You should be able to find a spot where the helicopter hovers and then you only need to go a hair above and below that to maintain altitude - every other area of the stick is used for acceleration or descending. Many beginners over-control, and we tell them that all the time, but we don't SHOW them what it means and when they see it, they are often surprised at the degree to which we are talking. SO, I made a video... this shows the extremely small stick movements we are talking about. Anything more than this will be over-controlling.

RC Helicopter Stick Movements - Hovering (1 min 32 sec)

Also, on your simulator, make sure you have calibrated it properly. The Interlink can have calibration issues so make sure everything works right. Try flying a plane and make sure you can get smooth throttle transitions - it's easier to hear that with a plane motor.

Here's a video showing the stick movements for some fairly hard flying... I show you how to crash it but notice how small the stick movements are and that I only rarely use full stick throws.

Trex 500 Backwards Flight Fail - crash! (3 min 23 sec)
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:52 AM
R/C newbie
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Mar 2008
181 Posts
Thanks y'all for the great feedback, Yea i guess i was punching the throttle. That and i was flying outside in a bit of wind.

Yesterday i started practicing inside and after an hour, I was much more confident and the heli flew better. Still a looong way to go.

I guess a good part of heli training involves not freaking out and messing with the TX when the heli flys in ways you dont expect it to.
rkovvur is offline Find More Posts by rkovvur