HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:33 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
Discussion
Radio choice

I have recently caught addiction and came into a free older JR X-378 32mhz radio. I currently fly a few seaplanes and a glider, and have decided to hop on the FPV wagon, with this I want range and the ability to incorporate headtracking. I have seen that UHF seems to be the way to go with range. What suggestions do you guys have for me? Invest in something like the EzUHF or Dragonlink and call it a day? Or should I upgrade to a newer radio also considering the new bnf options and to have 2.4 control?
sprokus is offline Find More Posts by sprokus
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:26 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,861 Posts
Do some range testing with the radio you have. It may reach far enough to get you started into FPV short range. Then read a lot of the threads on here for a month or so before you decide upon a radio and UHF system. You can have a lot of fun short range as a newbie FPVer.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:25 PM
Joined May 2012
552 Posts
Most bind and fly planes are not super well suited to FPV to be honest, so I wouldn't let that influence your decisions.

32MHz is fantastic for getting started in FPV, the only real down side is that it's so easy to get a radio lockout

Being biased, as I work for DragonLink - Dragonlink will give you more options for the future as its a 12channel system rather than 8. With the headtracker input port, the headtracker wont take any of your 7channels - the headtracker channels get appended so you end up with 9 channels coming out of the receiver

You'll also get more range than your 32mhz can give you, and a lot more peace of mind when it comes to no lockouts and safety.
Ascended is offline Find More Posts by Ascended