HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:07 AM
Joined Feb 2013
37 Posts
Discussion
Servo Noise?

Hi,

Just wanted to ask another noob question.

When I power up my Trex 450 I keep hearing a noise that comes from the tail servo, it is the only thing that continuously makes a noise even if the heli is completely still.

Is this normal?

Thanks I really appreciate the help.
swifteagle is offline Find More Posts by swifteagle
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:05 AM
I ♥ OpenTX
Australia, New South Wales, Sydney
Joined Jan 2011
2,695 Posts
If it's a digital servo, the noise you're hearing is probably normal. The frequency of the noise is the circuitry's "sampling" rate - how often the servo readjusts its position.

Sometimes the deadband (zone where the servo is willing to say "near enough is good enough") is too narrow, and the servo keeps "hunting" around a central happy spot which is too small for it to hit reliably. A servo programming device can sometimes be used to modify a few operational parameters, including deadband width, but it's usually not worth the effort for most people in most scenarios.

Otherwise, if it's an analog servo, it might just be a case of the jitters. A dirty potentiometer or just simply "budget" components are usually to blame in that case.
H2SO4 is online now Find More Posts by H2SO4
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:33 AM
Joined Feb 2013
37 Posts
@H2S04

Thank you so much for your time.

As far as I know they are digital servos. Thanks for taking the time to explain to me and perhaps other the details behind the noise.

thanks once again.
swifteagle is offline Find More Posts by swifteagle
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:06 PM
Joined Oct 2006
303 Posts
good australian site for heli 's
http://www.archeli.com.au
mrgriz is offline Find More Posts by mrgriz