HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:24 AM
Joined Jun 2012
811 Posts
Discussion
Can someone share what all the different battery options at HK are?

These are the niches I *think* I understand.

1) Turnigy/zippy flightmax: Both 'budget' batteries, aimed to be value for money. Turnigy is advertised as slightly higher quality but they both seem quite similar.

2) Zippy compact: Pay slightly more for a reduction in size and weight compared to turnigy/zippy flightmax. Also has a higher charge rate, and *potentially* slightly lower internal resistance (not sure).

3) Turnigy Nanotech: Pay more again (compared to compacts) for a increase in lifetime and C rate compared to turnigy/zippy flightmax. Not as light as a zippy compact.

4) Rhino: Pay more for a more 'reliable' battery with extended cycle life. Heavier than other equivalents.

5) A Spec: Pay a *hell* of a lot more for a 'premium', no holds barred battery in terms of in flight performance.

6) B Grade: Pay significantly less than turnigy/flightmax for a less reliable/lower C pack.

7) Zippy-K: No idea in hell. Can't find any recent discussion on what niche they fill.

In particular if anyone could confirm what Rhinos and Zippy-Ks are, I would be very appreciative. Also, let me know if I have any of these niche's wrong.
Nereth is offline Find More Posts by Nereth
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:51 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,015 Posts
My experience with the Nanotech packs is that they swell relative easily. I've read many reports of other users having similar experiences. They would be on the bottom of my buy list.
Right now, the Compact is my favorite.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:10 PM
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Dec 2008
518 Posts
Ive had no issues with the nano's, I have quite a few in several sizes & capacity.
I have heard there may be some issue with them.

I read its the higher C rating nano's that have the issues : any truth in this??
All the air/heli nano's I have are the lower C batts (except my hardcase RC Car packs)
1101 is offline Find More Posts by 1101
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:26 PM
Raggistored Usehr
United States, FL
Joined Feb 2012
1,060 Posts
I've had no problems with the nanotech batteries. I use them for edf's and micros. The cheap zippy batteries go in my regular prop planes.
gooby is offline Find More Posts by gooby
Last edited by gooby; Feb 08, 2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:19 AM
Joined Jun 2012
811 Posts
So does anyone know where rhinos and Zippy-Ks come into it?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 07:48 AM
Joined Jan 2013
8 Posts
I found an earlier forum post where a Hobbyking employee said that Zippy-Ks are equivalent to Loong Max batteries. Only the branding is different. I don't know much about Loong Max packs but I figured someone might.
TaterTot117 is offline Find More Posts by TaterTot117
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:24 AM
Joined Jun 2012
811 Posts
Yep I saw that too but that just shifts the question to what are the loong max's! XD
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:27 AM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,108 Posts
I know a lot of people like the Rhino's. I have 3 that have been around for quite some time and still pack a nice punch. As far as zippy-k's.. I have no idea. I have a ton of the zippy compact packs and those work fantastic as well. Heck I just bought four more 4s compacts for my new biplane.
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Mar 11, 2013, 11:43 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,015 Posts
Compacts are for me as well.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Mar 11, 2013, 04:28 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,120 Posts
I have a bunch of their packs (50+ !!!), including Rhino, flightmax, zippy, turnigy, and the nanos. Everything from 1S 300 to 6S 5000 and in between. I think the zippy / flightmax are the best value - they don't swell unless mistreated and they will go many cycles if not abused. The 40C Zippys perform better than the "35-65C" nanos, and I would second the comment to avoid the nanos for the larger packs - these have swelled on me and I don't see that they hold up all that well over the long run. I have also noticed that the nanos tend to develop cell imbalances more easily than the Zippys. The nanos are fine for the 1S micro stuff.
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary