HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:27 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,442 Posts
Mini-Review
Park Zone P-47 Thunderbolt!

Got this new model about two weeks ago and had to pick it up at Palmetto, Florida which was approximately 160 miles away. I bought it here in the classifieds knowing well that I was going to use this trip to visit my oldest daughter that lives in Tampa, Florida while on the way to pick the model so, it worked in all accounts.

Missing was the Motor, however, the ESC, all servos and Flaps were configured with flap servos pre-installed.

Early this morning, I finally got around to finish the model by installing a brand new Park Zone 15 Brushless motor (950Kv) and I thought to myself, why not make it look as scale as possible so, I found a bag with at least (Quantity 6) Grand Wing Servo (GWS) 4-Blade (10 X 8 X 4) Plastic "Electric" Propellers. I had to hone them to the propeller adapter that I used (Great Planes Propeller Adapter that comes with the GD600 gearbox). Honing out the inner Propeller Hub took patience since you can easily over-heat the Propeller Hub and deform it, if you do not STOP and allow the hub to cool while drilling.

Using a spare Spektrum AR500, and my Spektrum DX7 the model was activated for the first time at the wee hours of early morning around 3:00am Eastern. I was pleasantly surprised on the smooth Propeller power run up using the Black molded 4-Blade GWS Propeller. No vibrations or wobble.

I used Minwax Water Based Polycrylic to protect the paint and decals and it worked like a charm. The maiden was super scale and that GWS 4-Blade provided lots of punch in the thrust department and air speed was pretty impressive as well.

Best of all the landing was spectacular with full flaps (Flaps on Gear switch). Model touched down super slow and like watching the full size! That 4-Blade really helps provide thrust during landing.

A few pictures of my early morning setup work and at the field.

Here are a few more at the RC Club! Just look at the wind Sock, Dead Calm!!!

Did not need any trim adjustment what-so-ever and it went exactly where I commanded it to go! Those Flaps are just wonderful and the model slows down very well without any extreme pitch affects such that I did not need to provide any Elevator adjustment after deployment of the flaps! The landing with those flaps made me look like a Pro RC Flyer as it touched on its mains so slow that it did not have a chance to tip over on the propeller!

A few pictures showing the AMP, WATTS and VOLTAGE under load measurements from tonight.

Estimated:

Actual Results = VIDEO:

Park Zone P-47 Thunderbolt using GWS 4-Blade 10 X 8 X 4 Propeller with Stock power system 02-06-2013 (1 min 59 sec)

In case you missed what I yelled in that Video

1/2 Throttle: 9-Amps / 11.87 Volts / 108 Watts

3/4 Throttle: 23.5 Amps / 11.16 Volts / 255 Watts

FULL: 36 Amps / 10.5 Volts / 376 Watts
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Feb 06, 2013 at 10:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:43 PM
dbc
United States, FL, Brooksville
Joined Apr 2008
1,737 Posts
Ar 500

Be very cautious about that AR 500, Carlos - it could easily cause the loss of your plane. Send it back to Horizon for a free replacement AR 600. I learned this the hard way.

The AR500 is just as dangerous, probably more so, as the 30a ESC in the MM!!! ( and we all know what you think of that item)
dbc is offline Find More Posts by dbc
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:55 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
Be very cautious about that AR 500, Carlos - it could easily cause the loss of your plane. Send it back to Horizon for a free replacement AR 600. I learned this the hard way.

The AR500 is just as dangerous, probably more so, as the 30a ESC in the MM!!! ( and we all know what you think of that item)
This Receiver has flown for countless flights and has endured several crashes. The crashes were attributed to jammed Nose Wheel Steering Push Rod on my T-28 Trojan!!! It overheated the BEC side of the E-Flite 30-AMP and down my model went.

I have flown this AR500 without any issues what-so-ever and since all the discovery of the reason for my T-28 Trojan crashed as explained above it has flown for countless flights without any issues since then.

The Jug does not have nose wheel steering so, it is in the clear, yet, I am paying attention to all control surfaces and including the Steerable Tail Wheel just in case.

Thanks anyway!
Carlos
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Feb 07, 2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:39 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,737 Posts
Just keep an eye on it. 4 of my 6 AR 500's failed. Luckily only causing one crash - the others gave warning signs of impending failure. I'll never use one again.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:45 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,497 Posts
I am with Carlos - have a passel of 500's not a single issue with a single one of them.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:52 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbc View Post
Just keep an eye on it. 4 of my 6 AR 500's failed. Luckily only causing one crash - the others gave warning signs of impending failure. I'll never use one again.
I believe a couple of years ago, I saw an Alert on the Spektrum Web Site asking customers or potential customers to look for Counterfeit AR500's and I think this one explains....
http://www.spektrumrc.com/products/d...rodid=spmar500

Of course there might have been QC issues as noted here:
http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/ar500problem2.shtml
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:36 PM
dbc
Joined Apr 2008
1,737 Posts
Mine were not counterfeit, bought from Horizon. The Horizon Service Tech acknowledged to me that they had many problems with the AR 500. He encouraged me to return any I had and they would replace them with AR 600's.

Edit: most of mine failed in planes with over 100 flights, a couple with more than 250 flights. Just watch them closely, they usually start to have strange behavior - jittering servos and signal dropouts - before they fail. But one took a plane down with no warning.
Last edited by dbc; Feb 07, 2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:36 AM
You Know What I Mean
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2011
897 Posts

I see you went with the 'Clear Gloss' Minwax Polycrylic Protective Finish.
Looks good.
LaserBeam is offline Find More Posts by LaserBeam
Old Feb 27, 2013, 09:35 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,442 Posts
LaserBeam,

Yes indeed! It looks even better in person!

That stuff really works!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:36 AM
United States, GA, Newnan
Joined Jan 2011
190 Posts
I just bought a flyzone millenium master and want to protect the finish. Did you just brush on the minwax finish? Just curious....sorry to hijack your thread.
roverroberts is online now Find More Posts by roverroberts
Old Feb 27, 2013, 07:45 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverroberts View Post
I just bought a flyzone millenium master and want to protect the finish. Did you just brush on the minwax finish? Just curious....sorry to hijack your thread.
Yes, I just carefully brushed the Millennium Master with the Product.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2013, 12:29 AM
You Know What I Mean
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Dec 2011
897 Posts
Protect Foam Airplanes - Minwax Polycrylic

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverroberts View Post
I just bought a flyzone millenium master and want to protect the finish. Did you just brush on the minwax finish?

The 'Minwax Polycrylic Protective Finish' comes in tins for brush application.
Also comes in large AEROSOL cans for easy spray-on application.
Adds a protective coating over your aircraft for scratch, rash and dent protection.
Minwax Polycrylic comes in ClearSatin, SemiGLoss and ClearGloss.
Check out the thread is started on Miwax Polycrylic ... lots of links and information:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post24257361

Minwax Polycrylic available in USA at Wallmart, Homedepot, Lowes, Orchard Supply, Sears:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Minwax-Pol...ype=10&veh=aff

Minwax Polycrylic avaiable in Australia:
http://www.globak.com.au/POLYURETHAN...oductview.aspx

Minwax Polycrylic Protective Finish Technical Data Sheet in .PDF format included with this post, free of charge.
LaserBeam is offline Find More Posts by LaserBeam
Last edited by LaserBeam; Mar 04, 2013 at 12:40 AM.
Old Jun 08, 2013, 12:47 PM
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
47 Posts
do you suggest using the spray? and if so, is there any prep required on the p-47 to spray it on? how many spray cans are suggested to cover the plane?
p51mustanglover is offline Find More Posts by p51mustanglover
Old Jun 09, 2013, 03:57 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,442 Posts
Fun Fly at MOON PORT MODELERS RC CLUB and my Park Zone P-47D Thunderbolt won 3rd place prize for the Fast and Slow contest!

All this was with the smaller Park Zone 480 (960Kv) Motor and the GWS (Grand Wing Servo) 4-Blade 10 X 8 X 4 propeller setup! Amazing!!

There was someone with a dang 3D light balsa model that won first and 2nd place, next time I will demand category / type restrictions! As far as I am concerned, my JUG won First Place!!

RCG Plus Member