HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:03 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2 Posts
Help!
Airfoil design

Hi

I am brand new to the aerodynamics and airfoil design. Would like ot do the project of designing, making CAD project and simulation of the wing. I chose NACA 4 digit one as this one is simple. It will be made in Inventor and siimulated in CFD. I found a lot of details about aerodynamics on the internet, espacially about simple wings like NACA 4 digit one but I would like to get some more knowledge about airfoils. To have some information about flaps, slots, ailerons etc. If you know for example books titles It will be very nice to know.

I would like to check design of the wind turbine blade as well. Do you know maybe some kind of source with information how to design it, choose Angle of Attack, twist, profile, and where I can find aerodynamics theory of this kind of device

I know this is RC forum but I read some topics and found that I might find my answer here. I am from Poland and unfortunately there is a little books in polish. I have the one which is very good but it is not about designing the wings. I have some articles but in general I need to find someting in english, espacially about wing designs and wind turbines.

regards
Peter
leech10 is offline Find More Posts by leech10
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:10 AM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,313 Posts
A good book to start you off would [in my opinion] be 'Model Aircraft Aerodynamics' By Martin Simons. Have a read of that first, then maybe get hold of XFLR (free download!). When you've done both of those you'll have a load of questions - post them here.

Best of luck!
Shedofdread is offline Find More Posts by Shedofdread
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:56 PM
B for Bruce
The 'Wack, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2002
11,316 Posts
http://books.google.ca/books/about/T...d=DPZYUGNyuboC

I once found a copy of this book, at least I'm pretty sure it was this book, in the local library. I scanned through it and took note of the heavy slant towards fancy mathematics. I put it back on the shelf. It's deep but if that is what you want then it's worth finding a copy. To be fair the table of contents most certainly looked to be complete.

Ah, just noted that you're in Poland and would prefer a Polish text book. Sorry, not a clue on that side unless you can find a translation of these titles.

One website to look at is Martin Hepperle's. He's got a good amount of various airfoils for different tasks. One of them is for wind mills/turbines.

http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/index.htm
BMatthews is offline Find More Posts by BMatthews
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:43 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2 Posts
Hi

English is not a problem. I am working on the phone as a Technical support with perople from UK so it is not a problem. Technical vocabulary I will check in the dictionary.

In Polish there is a little of the literature so I need the english one as I dont know any other language

Thanks a lot I will check it

Regards
Peter
leech10 is offline Find More Posts by leech10