HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:29 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Feb 2013
33 Posts
Discussion
Back to flying, I need an advice!

Hello everyone!
many years ago (about 10) I used to fly 4ch fuel aircrafts (top wing), then I had to stop for several reasons and I forgot this passion I had.
It looks like the hobby changed a lot nowadays and I'm intrigued by these micro electric flyers, therefore I'm back!
Now I have to get my first model and I was wondering, would a Beast 3d as3x be too advanced for someone who didn't flew in years? I know its completely different, but you might want to take in consideration that I also fly 4ch helicopters (I'm not great at it, but I can fly in every direction proficiently keeping good control of the heli)
Apologies for my wonky english!
Thanks!
Gian8 is offline Find More Posts by Gian8
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:42 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gian8 View Post
Hello everyone!
many years ago (about 10) I used to fly 4ch fuel aircrafts (top wing), then I had to stop for several reasons and I forgot this passion I had.
It looks like the hobby changed a lot nowadays and I'm intrigued by these micro electric flyers, therefore I'm back!
Now I have to get my first model and I was wondering, would a Beast 3d as3x be too advanced for someone who didn't flew in years? I know its completely different, but you might want to take in consideration that I also fly 4ch helicopters (I'm not great at it, but I can fly in every direction proficiently keeping good control of the heli)
Thanks!
Welcome back to the hobby! I don't think a Beast 3D - even with AS3X - is a good plane for someone coming back to the hobby. It's small, fast, and very twitchy. It's a 3D plane after all, with it's primary porpose to be an extreme 3D machine. I'd start with something else and let the Beast be something to work towards. Good luck!
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:07 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,211 Posts
you can start with the champ or if you feel thats too simple try the um t-28
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:12 PM
"Landing" in a tree somewhere
Rochester, NY
Joined Sep 2009
946 Posts
If by top wing you mean high wing planes like a cub then no the Beast 3D is not a good idea. I would start off with something similar to what you were flying before to get yourself reacquainted. As already mentioned the hobbyzone champ or parkzone t-28 ultra micro would make nice beginner planes. You could try building a foamy if you're interested in that.

If you're dead set on getting a 3D plane then at least build one out of EPP foam (there are plenty of kits out there or you can build one yourself from plans) and get a transmitter with d/r that you can set yourself.
Rayne is offline Find More Posts by Rayne
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:39 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
http://www.twistedhobbys.com/TH-32-E...OT-BLUE-04.htm

You can get one of these, you crash it and just a little glue she is back in the air, not good for any wind over say 10 mph max.
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:10 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Feb 2013
33 Posts
Thanks guys! I'll keep the Beast for the future then and I'll go for the T-28 which is another little aircraft that caught my attention
Thank you!
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:06 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2 Posts
Quote:
Hello everyone!
Thanks!
I am very much a beginner to RC, having returned to model flying after 50+ years. I got the Champ last month and have found it to be wonderful to learn with. I just love it. Flys really well even after crashing several times, gluing the wing back together, etc. Am almost ready to move up to something a little more challenging. Highly recommend the Champ!
Kodiak42 is offline Find More Posts by Kodiak42
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:40 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
one big problem with the beast is that it's very fragile. if your looking for a very capable plane that is a little tougher, the umx sbach 342 with as3x is a very good flier. low rates can really tame it down, high rates and it will get crazy!!
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:58 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,928 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys! I'll keep the Beast for the future then and I'll go for the T-28 which is another little aircraft that caught my attention
Thank you!
You will love the T-28. I have flown both the micro and the larger counterpart, and both are great flying airplanes with plenty of aerobatic potential once you are ready. I say go for it

And remember, the worst thing that can happen is you crash. Not a big deal, pick up the pieces (if any) and put it back together to try again.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:52 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,051 Posts
Great planes mentioned, is a new entry, very compact but found flys terrific, some horrific landings the gear didn't bend as so light.

The Archer, nice looks and no surprise on handling, actually east to land tho blew the maiden, then up and deadsticked in, a fun ride, again easy flyer.

Parkzone RTF Archer RC Low Wing Compact Quick Look (2 min 21 sec)
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Old Feb 23, 2013, 03:03 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Feb 2013
33 Posts
Hello everybody, in the end I got the UM T-28, nifty little plane!
I find it has only a problem, it can not handle gusts of wind or light wind at all! I live in London and there is a bit of wind pretty much all the time, and it is gusty..
Any advice on how to deal with this?
Also what other foamie would you suggest for the infamous english weather?