HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:25 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Jun 2006
1,067 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madaboutjets View Post
Using plastic for the mechanism would have been possible except for the main linkage which is bent to fit on the end of the flap bracket
Use G-10 for all of your flat brass pieces. It can be bent to a certain amount with careful application of heat.

I would use a torque tube system for the spoilers with a single servo actuating them.

Both of these changes would save TONS of weight on that system.

Otherwise, it looks awesome!! I have often been curious about the mechanisms hiding within those fairings on the wings that extend and then drop the flaps.
umdpru is offline Find More Posts by umdpru
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:15 AM
Joined Apr 2009
43 Posts
umdpru
torque tubes?do you mean a rotating rod bent at around 45degees on the hinge line of the aileron? and connected directly to the servo?yes this is what i will fabricatefor the aileron but not sure it wouldwork on the spoilers as there isnt a lot of clearance where it rests on the flap
the flap mechanism is not the same time used on the Airbus
its from a boeing design! it just seemed easier to make!
the Airbus flap track consists of a carriage which slides down a track which is pulled up and down and actuated by a motor
i might add that im not a great modeller and a lot of the work was basically trial and error
as the plans i have do not detail any of the structure to fit into the wing
only a schematic diagram of the actual mechanism if that makes sense!
madaboutjets is offline Find More Posts by madaboutjets
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:34 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2005
1,909 Posts
No I meant y-harness the left and right wings spoiler servos together. I think what umdpru meant was you could use a U shaped torque tube connecting the o4s to the inner spoiler. In fact, if you connected the o4s together on their back side w/ strips of mylar, and inserted a torque tube connecting them to the inner spoiler, you could actually run all 5 spoiler plates off of one servo that would be on the third spoiler, eliminating 4 servos per wing half. Also looking at the video, it seems you could use G10 to replace the brass. I don't believe the G10 would have to be bent for what could see. it looks all like flat plates. You would just have to cut them to shape. If I am wrong, and there is a piece or two that needs to be bend, you could either leave those brass pieces, or like he said, apply heat, and maybe make a plywood fillet and glue it in to hold the shape. Eliminating 8 servos and exchanging most of the brass for G10 would definitely safe a bunch of weight. Although if do only use one servo to drive the 5 spoiler plates, you should prolly go w/ a little stronger servo. Although you should be able to mix the spoilers to the ailerons w/ 100% differential, and 30% EPA for up, I don't know how you would be able to control them separately to go full up upon touch down. Maybe there's a way to do it, IDK.
fly2bob is offline Find More Posts by fly2bob
Last edited by fly2bob; Feb 08, 2013 at 01:45 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:45 AM
Joined Apr 2009
43 Posts
Sounds a good idea may well change it for that idea saving weight is the key if any one can draw a quick sketch of that idea it would be most welcomed
Regarding the ground spoilers maybe a switch actuated by the landing gear being compressed on touch down would be great similar to the full size !
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:18 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,909 Posts
Like this. I kept saying torque tube, but actually it's a torque rod made of music wire like 1/16" - 3/32". On the side that's parallel to LE/TE you slide on and have a brass tube as a sleeve for the torque rod before you make the 90 degree bends at the ends,and you glue the brass tubing part (being careful not to get glue in the ends of the brass tubing) in place to the wing structure just under the skin and at the front of the hinge line. Then you have a plastic (or brass) tube at each end that are glued to the spoilers that the torque rod can slide in and out of. So now if you connect the o4s together w/ strips of mylar (or you COULD use one long strip I guess) and use the torque rod to connect the o4s to the inner spoiler, they can all be activated by one servo connected to the third spoiler. Again, that way you can eliminate 4 servos per wing half. Clever uh? What do ya think?
Last edited by fly2bob; Feb 08, 2013 at 03:26 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:47 AM
Joined Apr 2009
43 Posts
Saving weight is always beneficial ! Yes I will probably glue the o4s together but the inner one is not in line with the others so that may be a problem
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:19 PM
Thoughts Become Things
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2005
185 Posts
Very Cool!

That first video of the flaps and spoilers extending and is exactly what I have been dreaming about but have yet to accomplish, now I know it's possible! Very cool. Maybe you could place a camera in a passenger view of the wing. Landings are really cool watching all the flap and spoiler activity.
Jimmy James is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy James
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:34 PM
Joined Apr 2009
43 Posts
They are indeed it's not a perfect replica as I'm still improving it but yes I spent lots of time researching fowler flaps to the point of using an actual design from Boeing ! As the airbus one looked difficult to fabricate
Next challenge is the slats! And a way of actuating the air brakes on landing as the full size does !
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:55 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,909 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madaboutjets View Post
Next challenge is the slats!
Ok now you're going over board!
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:05 PM
Joined Apr 2009
43 Posts
If your going to do a job it's worth doing properly ! But ill see what I can do nothing is impossible !
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:33 PM
sgu
United States, VA, Centreville
Joined Nov 2011
37 Posts
Very cool. The spoilers not being linked adds realism.
Dave
sgu is offline Find More Posts by sgu
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:15 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,909 Posts
Here's another idea since you said that the inner spoiler and the o4s don't follow the same hinge line. Instead of the torque rod being all one piece u shaped, make it into to pieces, cut in the middle, and have them connected using strong flexible plastic like the plastic golden rod that goes inside the red plastic sleeve or tubing that are for plastic push rods. Then it could make the bend of the hinge line and you'd have two separate small brass tubes instead of one longer one. Then just make a notch for the bent part. My friend did it sorta this way years ago on a slope scale A-10 where the wing have some dihedral 1/2 way out on each wing panel but he wanted full span ailerons.
Last edited by fly2bob; Feb 09, 2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:47 PM
Kamloops
Joined Dec 2001
6,844 Posts
Flipping Fanatic That should be your new Name!!
kushal_22 is offline Find More Posts by kushal_22
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:21 AM
Australia, QLD, Numinbah Valley
Joined May 2011
113 Posts
Sir that is some amazing engineering you have done there!!! Here is hoping all of those servo's keep working together!!!

Wow well done
stormysrider is offline Find More Posts by stormysrider
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:57 AM
Joined Apr 2009
43 Posts
It's unlikely that all the servos would fail at any one time unless there was a loose connection happened if I could afford a milling machine then it would be really easy to make the parts and quicker next job will be the slats jb,s design on his dc9 is good makes my work look like child's stuff!