Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:53 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
With the major components built it was time to do a cg test. With the 2200mmah lipo it was very nose heavy. I decided the best option was to move the servos into another compartment behind the wing rods. I will have to make an access hatch but no worries there. Also since I'm making one hatch I might as well do one over the CG and make a ballast box.
jwhitacre is offline Find More Posts by jwhitacre
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:46 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Here's a pic showing the servos in their new location. The wing rods are in temporarily for reference. I still need to do final fitting of those before I epoch in the rod blocks. The plus to all of this is now the nose isn't so cramped.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:25 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
With the servos secure I need to run the control lines before I sheet the rear of the fuse. To do that I prefer to have everything moving to be sanded, covered, and hinged before that happens.
Because of that I'm going to take a pause on the fuse today and get all the flying surfaces final fitted and covered. Tomorrow I can get back to the fuse.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 09:16 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Here's a look at a completed wing half. It took a bit longer than I wanted but it looks cool so worth the time. Getting into the other half now.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:26 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
As you can see the flying surfaces are covered. That talked the bulk of the covering out of the way so this build is almost done. Now I just have to wrap up the fuse. Should be ready to fly to fly by the weekend.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:52 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
The first order of business today was to get the elevator linkage out of the way. I found an aileron torque rod link from another build in my parts bin that worked out perfect. Once the epoxy cures I will secure the other end.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:40 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Due to the angle of the elevator bend the cable has a good deal of resistance. What I am going to try to do is knock that down a bit. First I plan to take spare cable and run it through while attached to a drill to try and bore it out a tad. When i install the real cable I think grease on the last 6" of it to help also. We will see if it works or not.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:05 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Lots of minor details ironed out today. The elevator control is nice and smooth now. Both moving surfaces are setup and programmed in the Tx also. The access hatches for the ballast box and servos are done.
The main hatch is held on via rare earth magnets which have worked well in previous models. The third pic shows the outside look at the outflow vent I put in to help keep things cool up front.
That's it for today, tomorrow I need to sand the fuse down and round it out a bit. From there paint and mount the plastic canopy then cover.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 06:50 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Soldered the 3.5mm connectors onto an old align 35amp ESC this morning. I have the manual laying around somewhere so I will have to dig it up and program the brake function. The fuse needs sanded and covered today which will probably eat up all my building time today.
The weather is calling for 43 degrees on Saturday so that is looking like a good day to do a maiden. At this point I see no reason it won't be ready by then so that's the plan
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:33 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
The fuse is ready to cover! I took a few pics with the hatches off before warming up the sealing iron. The covering won't take long so I might get to play with battery and esc placement today. The canopy is glued onto its hatch and is drying. I will need to make a small balsa block filler in the back of it since I am using it backwards from its intended position. It looks better this way without a nose block to blend into.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:10 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Almost there. The canopy still needs glued and its rear fairing made. Oh and the spoilers need covered which I forgot about.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:15 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
A buddy of mine is coming over today to finish up his electrified gentle lady. My workshop gets pretty messy during a build so I took the morning to clean up. Now that its clean I'm working on the spoilers and canopy. Other than that the battery velcro is the last thing needed.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:03 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Change of plans. Got a call from work and I'm leaving for a job tomorrow morning. Will be gone almost a month so the maiden has to be today. I hurried up and got everything ready. I'm going to try this afternoon sometime in the field across the street. I will try to get some vid action once I get it trimmed out.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:53 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
It flies!

I ran out across the street and gave it a toss into the gusty wind. It headed out and I kicked on the motor. After about a 20 second run I shut it off and gave a few clicks down for better wind penetration. It zipped through the wind without a problem so I moved onto the tip stalling test. I took it and gave a good hard bank and it turned without a problem so I know the washout is sufficient.
Landing took some decent real estate with it's flat glide path but I wanted to see how it did without spoiler assistance. This test was done with the 1800mah 20C lipo which made the AUW 43oz. The motor pulled along well but I'm sure I could do better with a 35C pack. All in all I'm very pleased with it and am sure it will be a good flier for this summer.
Oh and sorry about the lack of vid, the 18-20mph gusts kept me on the sticks and I had nobody to film.