Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:41 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Build Log
My Oct-Mar buildoff entry: E powered Windsurfer 100

Well here's my entry to the buildoff on the thermal forum
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1748715&page=9
Mine is an old Kraft Windsurfer 100 kit that is going to be modded up front to take a Rimfire 35-30-950 outrunner. Just got the kit in the mail today that I bought in the classifieds last week.
Good looking kit from looking at the plans. The nose will need some altering to fit the motor in but that shouldn't be a problem.
I'm going to go to the workshop now will put up pics of the progress in the evening.
jwhitacre is offline Find More Posts by jwhitacre
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:08 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
The first order of business was to make the motor fit into that narrow fuse. The goal was to mod the fuse with as little intrusion into the stock look as possible. The other goal was to use as much stock wood from the kit(its really nice quality and cut wood).
I ended up deciding to add to the bottom of the front so that it's more flat vs. the stock taper to the nose. The stock fuse sides are a 2 piece precut 3/32" balsa. I put those aside and brought out some of my coveted Sig 3/32X3X48 contest balsa and cut entire new fuse sides. I prefer to have 1 piece sides whenever possible for strength reasons. With the new sides cut I will use the rest of the supplied wood other than a few extras up front. Those issues will be addressed later but will be the motor mounting and canopy attachment with the lack of a nose block. More to come
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:46 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Made some decent progress on the fuse today. It's about half framed and at this point I need to do the center wing panels per the instructions. That way I can line up everything with respect to the wing rods and epoxy the mounting blocks in. More to follow tomorrow
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:16 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Wing progress

The wings are going together nice and quick. Yesterday I did the initial bottom framing of the 2 inner panels for wing rod alignment. Then the right panel got framed up to the point that I could put the top spars on.
This morning I framed the right outboard panel up just to see how a semi complete wing half will look. I like the overall look, simple and light yet strong.
Now I'm going to catch up the left inner panel and then get them both completed.
If I have time I will also wrap up the right outer panel also. Tomorrow I have to fly to West Palm Beach for work so no progress will be done til Thursday when I get back. I will put up pics of the days progress tonight.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:12 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
I got the right inboard panel mostly done and was going to work on the left but decided to get a full wing half together. After a few hours of work on the inboard and outboard panels I was ready to join them. While I question the strength of the single ply joiner for the panels for winching I think it will be fine for e-power.
The stock wingtip is a monster tapered block of balsa. In persuit of nice light tips for thermal signaling I will make my own when the other wing half is done. I'm on my phone so I can't post pics now but will later. Also I mounted the HS-55's with extended arm for the spoilers. For me its quicker and better than the string method of deployment.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:32 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Pics as promised. Will get back on the build when I get back from this job.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:21 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
I'm back home now so the build is back on the priority list.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:01 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
This morning I got the left outboard panel framed to the point where it can be joined to the inboard. I just need to finish up the inboard framing done to that point. I should have the wing half together today and be able to start top sheeting on both halves.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 03:47 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
I have the left wing half caught up to the right now. I'm going to top sheet and rib caps now. After that a little bit of sanding and they will be ready to cover.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:33 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
The left half is done minus sanding and the wingtip. The right half needs caught up to this point now.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:21 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Ok, I have the right half top sheeted and ribs capped. Now I'm going to play with some ideas for the wing tips and cut some parts out for them.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:22 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Here is what I came up with for the tips. It's very light and should do well.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:09 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
I put the other tip on and added the square supports. Tomorrow I can focus on building the tail feathers.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:23 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
Woke up this morning and decided to get the rudder out of the way. I added an extra gusset down low for control horn anchoring. Now its time to punch out the elevator halves. These are removable which will be nice for storage.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:09 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined May 2008
1,022 Posts
The elevator is pretty straight forward. Building them at once is key for proper alignment. The tubes are tacked in place with ca then balsa around it. Once done I put a thin coat of epoxy on top and layer the top sheet on to dry. Right now I'm cutting the trusses. I will post pics of the completed elevator in a little while.