Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by MassiveOverkill, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:42 AM
Step 1: Tear it apart
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,755 Posts
Discussion
Fix your V939\V202 Gimpy-leg syndrome

Here's a quick and easy way to fix those gimpy legs on your V939\V202 using a heat gun set on low, some aluminum foil, a paint stick to apply pressure, and some super glue:

Here you can see that in this example, the motor cradle is molded wrong, putting the motor and prop at an angle (this is an extreme case below)::

First step to fix this is to make an aluminum foil heat barrier to protect the rest of the plastic motor cradle:

Then add another layer over the motor area as the top of the motor holder is thin and needs extra heat protection:

You only need to apply maybe 5 seconds of heat to the exposed area holding the heat gun at least 4-6" away, and gently press down on the boom to deform the plastic so the boom will sit straight. I hold the paint stick perpendicular to the boom, which also deflects heat away from the circuit board.

The result, no more gimpy leg:

The hole will be a little wallowed out, but just hold it in position while after applying some super glue to the joint and it will stay put.

No need to desolder\resolder to fix your gimpy legs and a heat gun from Harbor Freight only costs 7 bucks with coupon.

I want to add: This is an adult-only fix, please be safe as heat guns are serious tools not to be used by children who may be the pilots of the quad.

One final note: This is a WL Toys manufacturing defect. If your motor mounts are only off by 1 or 2 degrees, it's not worth trying to fix it as the V202 board does very well in compensating, especially if you only have 1 mount skewed badly. It's in extreme cases where the motor mount is off by as much as 5 degrees as in the first picture, or you have gimpy legs on diagonally opposed arms or two on one side (two on front or two on back are 'OK').
MassiveOverkill is offline Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MassiveOverkill; Feb 07, 2013 at 06:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:02 PM
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,270 Posts
Good to know mate, many thanks for the sharing!
bulesz is offline Find More Posts by bulesz
Old Feb 09, 2013, 04:51 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2 Posts
Hi Massive,
How much of the motor cradle are you heating? Say from the end where the
leg enters to the led holder? Thanks for the great help.
Thanks Jeff
jeffro636 is offline Find More Posts by jeffro636
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:22 PM
Step 1: Tear it apart
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,755 Posts
My pleasure Bulesz

Hey Jeff, welcome to the forums. I'd say I'm heating up to where the LED light would be (except applying heat from the top, not the bottom).
MassiveOverkill is offline Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MassiveOverkill; Feb 12, 2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:19 PM
Joined Jan 2009
2 Posts
Thank you very much. I appreciate the help. This micro quad copter ia blast.
Hopefully I'll order something other than blades and batteries from you in
the future.
Thanks Jeff
jeffro636 is offline Find More Posts by jeffro636