SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:46 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,468 Posts
I'm lost . Was that a video of the Hobby King Q-Bot or a different quad?
ruzam is online now Find More Posts by ruzam
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2013, 05:05 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2012
1,027 Posts
The Hobbyking Q-bot is a rebranded Hisky FF120 which is what I am flying. I should have said in the description.
limmacslim is offline Find More Posts by limmacslim
Last edited by limmacslim; Mar 02, 2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:18 PM
Dodge City, Kansas
Joined Oct 2003
1,067 Posts
Caution; my qbot flew away

CAUTION! MY QBOT JUST FLEW AWAY

Apparently I am the first person in the U.S. to get a Q-Bot and I've made several postings. Overall, it seemed like a great pylon racing quad. I've flown it about 10 times in the backyard.

It is a beaufitul Saturday after about a week of snow, so I bound my q-bot and went to the backyard. Everything seemed ok, the light went to solid color and each of the props did their little dance.

The nano-second that I touched the throttle, it shot straight up af full speed, just like a rocket. I tried dropping the throttle to no help. At about 200 feet, it started drifting west with the 3 mph wind. I lost sight of it as it flew over my house. BYE BYE QBOT!.
I will email Hobby King to see what they might do.
I ordered two of them and have not even taken the tape off the box of my second one.!
Swilson50
Stan in Dodge City
Swilson50 is online now Find More Posts by Swilson50
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:23 PM
Ain't crashing often anymore
Germany, Berlin
Joined Jun 2012
3,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swilson50 View Post

Apparently I am the first person in the U.S. to get a Q-Bot and I've made several postings. Overall, it seemed like a great pylon racing quad. I've flown it about 10 times in the backyard.

It is a beaufitul Saturday after about a week of snow, so I bound my q-bot and went to the backyard. Everything seemed ok, the light went to solid color and each of the props did their little dance.

The nano-second that I touched the throttle, it shot straight up af full speed, just like a rocket. I tried dropping the throttle to no help. At about 200 feet, it started drifting west with the 3 mph wind. I lost sight of it as it flew over my house. BYE BYE QBOT!.
I ordered two of them and have not even taken the tape off the box of my second one.!
Swilson50
Stan in Dodge City
Any marks on it so I can send it to you if it flies by on its way back to mom and dad in China?
Back to serious: It seems to have no fail safe like the good old Xieda 9958.. what a bummer....
-mike-
mikefromgermany is online now Find More Posts by mikefromgermany
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:23 PM
Canada, BC, Surrey
Joined Oct 2012
99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swilson50 View Post

Swilson50
Stan in Dodge City
YIKES..... get the neighbor hood kids involved in a search lol
rjs62 is offline Find More Posts by rjs62
Old Mar 02, 2013, 08:24 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2012
1,027 Posts
Hope this doesnt happen to all of them.

It does sound similar to flypoppas radio problem with his module & dx6i.
Again, the V922 heli can bind to this module badly so there are some strange issues with it. I need to use futaba channel order & when I bind the V922 heli with the green light on, the servos & motor get huge lag. Most of the time the throttle turns into an on/off switch & the motor doesnt always stop spinning when i put the throttle down, it feels like a massive loss in radio resolution with only intermittent signals getting through.
Binding in walkera mode (no light) then switching back to futaba after solves the issue for me, the servos & motors on the heli behave normally, once its bound for the first time I can keep it on futaba mode with no problems.

I had a lot of trouble binding the FF120 quad back to the module with the green light on after binding it to the v922 tx. I tried walkera mode & it finally bound to the module. So my V2 module defiantly has issues when binding or bound in futaba mode & not in walkera mode
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:16 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,690 Posts
Well, although I always write my phone number on my fixed wing aircraft (and once got one back that way), I have never bothered to on my micro craft - until now!
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Mar 03, 2013, 03:14 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,107 Posts
I am starting to give mine up as a bad job. I have tried another slot on my DX6i, but still get the same response. I will not fly it out doors as it would do what the Swilson50 one did. Indoors I have weighed it down so it cannot take off.
I have tried reversing the stick positions but there is no difference.
I have also found that at times it will not fire up on all 4 motors. One or two do not spin. It is not the same motors every time.
I now wonder if I have a duff one.
Flypoppa is online now Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2013, 06:14 AM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2012
1,027 Posts
I just checked my Hisky ff120 by throttling up the motors then turning off the tx with them still running. The motors instantly lost power, turning the tx back on had it working instantly with no reboot or rebind so it should not try to fly home like the 9958 & I presume when it browns out it will fall like a stone & regain control when the signal returns.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 03:59 PM
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2012
63 Posts
I ordered a Q-Bot over a month ago and still waiting like most everyone.
I just did a live chat with HobbyKing, to see if they had any updates or knew when the next batch might get shipped.

This was their response"
"we dont have a definite time for that"

mjf185 is offline Find More Posts by mjf185
Old Mar 03, 2013, 04:30 PM
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jun 2012
1,027 Posts
Got a friend to get some video of the quad today at the park, its the second time I have taken it out.
I don't really have any experience flying quads in open space as the v202 does not work at the park & I have only flown it indoors. Its pretty windy, the forecast was 8-16mph & it handles the wind well.

Hisky FF120 quadcopter at the park (9 min 14 sec)
Old Mar 03, 2013, 05:27 PM
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,601 Posts
Nice flying mate! Mucho better than the lame HK advertisement video!
bulesz is online now Find More Posts by bulesz
Old Mar 03, 2013, 07:12 PM
Dodge City, Kansas
Joined Oct 2003
1,067 Posts
I found out why my qbot flew away

I FOUND OUT WHY MY QBOT FLEW AWAY....

unfortunately, I have not found my Qbot. Since I ordered two, I opened the box for the second one and decided to do some testing.

I initially flew the Qbot with my Spektrum Dx7. In order to bind, I had to put the throttle trim all the way down. (I think the instructions say this also.)

I decided that I wanted to use my Spektrum Dx6i, so I made all of the same settings on it...including throttle trim down.

When I went to bind the second Qbot with my Dx6i, it went through the binding process including the dancing props, then it went to full throttle!. THIS TIME, I had placed my finger on top of the Qbot....just in case...

While I held it down....trying not to remove a finger, I started moving the throttle stick. I found that it went to NO THROTTLE at MID STICK!. I have it set up as an aircraft...not a helicopter with a V throttle for 3-d.....

SO.... BE VERY CAUTIOUS WHEN YOU BIND.....I flew my second one in the park behind the house, and it performed great. It's a real pylon racer.

I have found that it is very difficult to do a flip and then flip the gear switch back IMMEDIATELY, because any cyclic input after a flip...and you get a second flip...So, I've found if I do a flip and immediately do a reverse flip, I have time to flip the gear switch back.....

Swilson50
Stan in Dodge City
Old Mar 03, 2013, 07:19 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,570 Posts
I would bind it to the trainer switch on the 9x which is a momentary switch. So the spring will automatically flip it back when you let go of the switch.
Daryoon is offline Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Mar 03, 2013, 07:51 PM
Dodge City, Kansas
Joined Oct 2003
1,067 Posts
Good idea, I will try it

That's a good idea to have a spring loaded switch. I will try it on my Spektrum Dx6i and my Dx7.
Swilson50
Stan in Dodge City

Just to change the subject, I just had a fantastic flight with one of my V202's. They're not as fast as the Qbot, but they sure are smooth and predictable. Nithtime flips with the lights are awesome.