SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:08 AM
What, Me Worry?
United States, FL, Sanford
Joined Feb 2007
261 Posts
Discussion
Blade 450 3D and transmitter

Went to my LHS and picked up two of the Blade 450 3D BNF helis at the Horizon Hobby discontinued blow-out price of $169.99 each. That's almost 2 for 1! Such a deal!

Now here's my question. I previously bought two of the Blade 120SRs. One for myself and one for my son. We taught ourselves to fly with these machines. My son has the Spektrum DX6i transmitter while I have the dinky Blade supplied transmitter. With the Blade 450 machines, my son will be ready to bind to it and start flying. As for me, all of my other models (airplanes) are flown with a Futaba FAAST 6EX transmitter. I understand that the Spektrum receiver in the Blade 450 could be swapped out for a Futaba 617 receiver and I'll save the cost of buying a new transmitter. So my question is, am I giving up anything by going the Futaba route? For flying the Blade 450, will it be tougher to fly with the Futaba or does it make no difference? What about if I decide to go flybarless? Will the DX6i handle this? Will the Futaba 6EX handle flybarless?

Ed
edbu1 is offline Find More Posts by edbu1
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:04 PM
Joined Apr 2011
164 Posts
Your son's DX6i will work right just fine, as will your Futaba FAST 6EX once you add an appropriate receiver. Even though they are advertised as BNF, you would be well served to go though the process of leveling the swash, setting your pitch, balancing your blades, etc. There are a bunch of videos on helifreak.com from Finless Bob on how to do this for several similar helicopters. The theory is the same for all 3 servo 120 degree swashes. As you probably know, these are not Blade 120SRs where close enough is good enough.

Flybarless essentially adds gryo stabilization to your cyclic controls to compensate for not having the stabilizing effect of the flybar. If you choose a flybarless system that has an integrated receiver, it will need to be compatible with your radio. If it uses a separate receiver, then your existing receiver will work fine.

My recommendation is to enjoy your Blade 450 3Ds for what they are. If you decide you want a flybarless helicopter, get one. You won't save any money converting a flybar to flybarless. They do fly a bit different, but coming from a Blade 120SR, I can't say one would be any better than the other for you at this point.

-Chocula
Chocula is offline Find More Posts by Chocula
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:24 PM
What, Me Worry?
Joined Feb 2007
261 Posts
I've heard that the Futaba 6EX in heli mode will not allow you to trim the 3 swash servos independently. Trimming one alters that others as well. Can anyone confirm this?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:54 AM
What, Me Worry?
Joined Feb 2007
261 Posts
It's true. I ended up buying a Spektrum DX6i transmitter.
RCG Plus Member