HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:57 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,091 Posts
Discussion
Fun single channel models.

Well, after reading the Q-Tee thread, and talking about single channel models, it could be time.

Can anyone reccomend a few good single channel models?
Curare is offline Find More Posts by Curare
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:30 PM
martinsville indiana
Joined Dec 2007
529 Posts
how about this
thechannelmast is offline Find More Posts by thechannelmast
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:34 AM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Sep 2010
204 Posts
Here are some suggestions: Minnie Mambo, Little Esquire/Tri-Squire, Dick's Dream, to name a few. Going back even further in time, the Berkeley Brigadier and the Rudder Bug.
Moeregaard is offline Find More Posts by Moeregaard
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:35 AM
Lipoly Killer
Gulfport/Biloxi Biloxi Reg, Mississippi, United States
Joined Dec 2000
1,515 Posts
Curare-

Log in to www.singlechannel.co.uk and get some ideas. I just finished building a single channel tx using the encoder board that Phil Green designed. I am currently building a LiveWire Kitten which Hal deBolt kitted in 1953. You can download plans at Outerzone Open listing. I also scored a Ambroid kit of Milt Boone's Charger-the 1959 Nats winning rudder only airplane.
Frank Hurd is offline Find More Posts by Frank Hurd
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:33 AM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
587 Posts
If one isn't into having a radio that mimics the control functionality of the older radios, one can opt for modern servo control of the rudder with optional proportional throttle. To have an airplane that can stunt like crazy, look at a plane that has a shorter distance from wing to elevator. For a .049 plane, Minnie Mambo is a good choice. My Minnie would loop like crazy.

BTW, Frank Hurd, I'd be interested in hearing how your LiveWire Kitten flies, and whether it is capable of doing decent loops. I have that kit, too, and was wondering if the lifting elevator would diminish that.
GallopingGhostlr is offline Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:05 PM
Joined Sep 2010
204 Posts
Back in 1986, Model Builder Magazine "re-introduced" the Esquire, and builder Ken Collins used an OS Max .10 FSR for power. Radio used was an Ace pulse-proportional unit, so no throttle. One of the low-cost two-channel, two-stick radios would be perfect for a rudder/throttle arrangement, by removing the springs from the elevator stick. Think I just figured out what my next project will be....
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:26 AM
Lipoly Killer
Gulfport/Biloxi Biloxi Reg, Mississippi, United States
Joined Dec 2000
1,515 Posts
Gg

I'll let you know when she's finished.
Frank Hurd is offline Find More Posts by Frank Hurd
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:52 AM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Hurd View Post
I'll let you know when she's finished.
Thanks, Frank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeregaard View Post
Back in 1986, Model Builder Magazine "re-introduced" the Esquire, and builder Ken Collins used an OS Max .10 FSR for power. Radio used was an Ace pulse-proportional unit, so no throttle.
The Ace Pulse Commander came with a factory upgradable option to add a quick blip sequential throttle push button and circuitry to the transmitter and receiver modification to use a KRD sequential servo (hi-med-low back to hi). I don't know if Ken used this on his Ace, or did rudder and no throttle. Adding throttle adds a whole new world to rudder only aerobatics.

Quote:
One of the low-cost two-channel, two-stick radios would be perfect for a rudder/throttle arrangement, by removing the springs from the elevator stick. Think I just figured out what my next project will be....
I'm just simply relying on my Mode 2 4 channel transmitter, but you are right. If one has a 2 channel TX, that is one way to skin a cat.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:08 PM
Joined Sep 2010
204 Posts
If you can score a set of plans for the 48" Mambo, it will make a very nice flyer with an Enya .09. Another design that comes to mind is Jack Headley's .020-sized Cal Smith Sportwagon he published in Model Aviation, circa 1983. There is no shortage of interesting designs suitable for rudder-only.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:14 AM
Joined Oct 2008
186 Posts
One from the 60's I liked was the Goldberg Jr Falcon. Outerzone has the plans posted http://www.outerzone.co.uk/index.asp
flyelectcl is offline Find More Posts by flyelectcl
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:32 PM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,278 Posts
Jr Falcon was nice on rudder only. You could actually see it flare for landing like it had an elevator.

Littlest Stick on an .010 was a handful but fun.

Guppy is nice too.

madsci_guy is online now Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:15 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeregaard View Post
If you can score a set of plans for the 48" Mambo, it will make a very nice flyer with an Enya .09. Another design that comes to mind is Jack Headley's .020-sized Cal Smith Sportwagon he published in Model Aviation, circa 1983. There is no shortage of interesting designs suitable for rudder-only.
AMA sells a John Pond Plans archive of the Sterling original plans. For former widths, see:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post17792834
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 05:21 AM
Flying in OZ.
Australia, NSW, Punchbowl
Joined Apr 2005
57 Posts
I am flying a "Midwest Sniffer" converted to electric power with rudder as the only control, the plan is on the http://www.outerzone.co.uk/index.asp list, easy to find. If you go the way of converting a free flight model with polyhedral wings you may want to reduce the center dihedral, I found that the Sniffer with stock wings, on the first command to turn, dutch rolled inverted instantly and dived into the ground. I flattened the dihedral completely and now the sniffer flies beautifully. By the way I use a home made single channel transmitter with the Phil Green encoder that emulates the old SC radios from the early 60's, no proportional movement, full through only.
iflylilplanes is online now Find More Posts by iflylilplanes
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:44 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Joined Jan 2013
587 Posts
That's interesting, I never realized that about excessive dihedral, iflylilplanes, will keep it in mind next time I do a free flight conversion to RC.

You are bold in emulating the older radio control actions of the '60s. I still have my Ace Pulse Commander, want to convert the older 72 MHz to 6 Meter Ham and have another that is on the old 27 MHz frequencies. Both have quick blip KRD sequential Hi-Med-Lo servo and transmitter throttle push switch.

That is about as far as I want to emulate old single channel RC.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 04:06 PM
Deutschland, Berlin
Joined Aug 2011
162 Posts
I like the Owen Kampen "Skampy".

Nice small Airplane and looks racy.
There was a kit by ACE.

Regards !
flyinglog is offline Find More Posts by flyinglog