HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:46 PM
CrashMaster
United Kingdom, Brentwood
Joined Dec 2012
119 Posts
Microdrones.com sound like DragonFlyer and a few others: we are the best of the best but if you have to ask how much don't bother to ask..... What they mean is they over charge and because big businesses and public sector can buy these for less than the price of a posh car they can absorb it and loose it if they need to.

However, I did find the spec....
Quote:
md4-1000
Article No. MD-02-001

Description: microdrones medium sized quadrocopter
Technical Specifications
Vehicle mass: 2650g
Payload mass
(recommended): 800g
Payload mass
(maximum): 1200g
Maximum take-off weight: 5550g
Battery: 6S2P LiPo, 22.2V, 13000mAh
6S3P LiPo, 22.2V, 19500mAh
Climb rate: 7.5 m/s
Cruising speed: 12.0 m/s
Peak thrust: 118.0N
Endurance: up to 88 minutes minutes
Flight radius: min. 500m on C&C
max. 40km on WP
Service ceiling: ≥5000m
Operational Conditions
Temperature range: -10..50°C
Humidity: max 90% r.H.
Wind tolerance: steady pictures up to 6 m/s
max. up to 12 m/s
Dimensions
Diameter: 1030mm
Height: 500mm
http://www.microdrones.com/wiki/index.php/md4-1000
HuttonIt is offline Find More Posts by HuttonIt
Last edited by HuttonIt; Feb 08, 2013 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Add Picture
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:49 PM
United States, FL, Malabar
Joined Oct 2012
142 Posts
I\m curious who will insure your commercial UAV activity given the FAA has policy that it dos not allow commercial operations of UAVs?
Andrew Sommer is offline Find More Posts by Andrew Sommer
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:54 PM
Australia, Lord Howe Island
Joined Jan 2010
1,011 Posts
@ huttonlt :

yep thats the model that has the huge payload of 800 grams and only costs 60 K USD. a bargain...
jetbootz is offline Find More Posts by jetbootz
Old Feb 08, 2013, 04:57 PM
United States, CA, Malibu
Joined Apr 2012
196 Posts
what motors are they use?
Spare is offline Find More Posts by Spare
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:16 PM
CrashMaster
United Kingdom, Brentwood
Joined Dec 2012
119 Posts
Call me a sceptic but the batteries alone will be over 1kg probably nearer 1.3kg that gives it a craft weight of between 1.3 to 1.6KG. It then goes onto say it has a payload of 1.2kg Making a take off weight of 3.8KG. But has a max take-off weight of 5.5kg.

Stand back and think about this. 88 mins flying time?

The DJU 800s has a max take off weight of 5-7KG. More than this bird, carries 6S 10000mAh~15000mAh Lipos and has 8 motors. It has a flight time of 16 mins... and that is not carrying 7kg that is with a GoPro.

Either they have developed new technology which we won't see for some time or this is hype to attract attention of big buck buyers.

My maths isn't what it used to be - please correct me if I am wrong.

Found Video:-
mdCockpit 3 - microdrones new generation of base station software (6 min 28 sec)
HuttonIt is offline Find More Posts by HuttonIt
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:24 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uavhollywood View Post
their last model could carry the weight of an epic for 15 - 20 minutes easy. i saw it!
Uh huh!

Quick math:
Max recommended payload of the md4-1000 (last model!) ~ 1,2kg
Weight of the Red Epic ~ 2,3kg (body alone!)

All this BS reminds me of OrbitUAV aka kurtg who came here to show us hobbyists what a real MR is:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1296912

Smells fishy? Nah, it stinks!
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:52 PM
Triple Tree Aerodrome
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2002
406 Posts
Appears to be a completely CGI generated presentation........

Can you say...Slick Marketing to Big Deep Pockets....?

Our government will probably but a hundred of them, without ever seeing the first one actually fly.....Right up there with the million dollar toilet.....DARPA is always looking for great ways to spend your Tax Dollars.....Go get some....!
heli001 is offline Find More Posts by heli001
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:42 PM
Joined Feb 2013
20 Posts
i was at a presentation of the guy who shot the masay mara footage. maybe 4 months ago. his drone was black and all carbon fibre. other than that it looked like the above posted. it had a payload of 2.5 kg. a gimbal and a dslr cam and a lot of downlink decoders and another cam etc. he flew it for 18 minutes outside with a little bit of wind. i could see that after that the battery was half empty. even the voice of the downlink programm kept telling him that he had 12 minutes left of flighttime. he said he never flies longer than that. it depends on the battery sometimes 15 minutes, sometimes 20 minutes.

so, whatever calculation you put together, it seemd not be bothering his drone.

it was super stable in the air and super quiet. the footage i saw was flawless and perfect stable.
it was then when i started comparing my s800 with this drone. now i dont think it is that much better, but if the next one is way bigger, maybe it can carry way more AND fly longer. and then it gets interesting.
uavhollywood is offline Find More Posts by uavhollywood
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:33 PM
Joined Feb 2013
20 Posts
"Smells fishy? Nah, it stinks!"

maybe you should zip up!
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:25 AM
Joined Feb 2013
20 Posts
new photoshopped picture of the huge md4-3000 from microdrones.

Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:36 PM
United States, NJ, Manville
Joined May 2006
1,578 Posts
How can you do any high quality motion pictures with that when the tip of the front rotor will be in front of the camera on any fast forward flying ?.....You never use a Quad + configuration in film production...This lends me to assume that the craft is not intended for high quality film production..
skizziks is offline Find More Posts by skizziks
Old Apr 25, 2013, 03:25 PM
My RC builds in my profile.
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2011
2,572 Posts
who the hell wants to throw a crazy expensive camera under a non-redundant frame....
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign
Old Apr 25, 2013, 03:27 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skizziks View Post
How can you do any high quality motion pictures with that when the tip of the front rotor will be in front of the camera on any fast forward flying ?.....You never use a Quad + configuration in film production...This lends me to assume that the craft is not intended for high quality film production..
That all depends on what camera lens you are using. A gopro super wide angle will clearly have the front arm in shot. Any standard wide to mid range lense wont be in view.
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky