|Feb 05, 2013, 04:20 PM|
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Feb 2013
Questions for the Fun Cubbers.
I know there are quite a few folks here flying the Fun Cub. I need some help to break in on this plane. I have until 2/7 to take advantage of a pretty good sale at TH on the Reciever Ready Fun Cub with free shipping so hopefully I can get a few qestions answered pretty quick.
Right now I'm mostly flying an e flite apprentice converted to a taildragger with fun cub tires on it so this new plane will just get me started with the fun cub and hopefully give me more room to grow.
1. I have an extra DX5e TX and AR600 RX that was from an apprentice. I know I need to upgrade this TX to get the full enjoyment of the FC but in the short term will this work with the plane if I just hook the flaps to the 5th gear channel??? What are the pifalls in this thinking? in the meantime could I enjoy the plane as a 4 ch without the use of flaps at all?
2. I have 2 Great Planes ElectriFly LiPo 3S 11.1V 2200mAh 30C batterys in my cart as suggested by Tower Hobbys. I will have to solder the deans connecter to the ESC, but are these OK or would you go something bigger? Does any one know what connecter the RR Fun Cub comes with?
3. While making a "Budget Minded" initial order on the Fun Cub, what extra parts would you consider a "MUST HAVE" that I should include. Right now I have the plane, connectors, heat shrink, 2 batts, 2 props, and the aluminum motor mount. If advised so on this forum I plan to reuse the above Spektrum TX/RX until I can sell off enough stuff to raise funds for a new DX6i or DX7.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
|Feb 05, 2013, 06:11 PM|
1) I've never owned the DX5e, but as far as I know it should work ok. Just have the flaps deploy about 1/2 (30-45*) when you flip your gear switch
2) Those lipos should work fine. Not sure how much $ they are, but there's many low cost places for good lipos here in the USA.
3) Unless you totally bash it, the FunCub can repaired after most crashes, so I wouldn't worry about too many spare parts. Might want to have some regular medium CA glue and kicker on hand for any foam repairs that come up. The newer FunCub KITS now include an aluminum mount, but not sure about the Rx ready version.
|Feb 06, 2013, 01:32 AM|
Make a decision now on the connectors you use, i think xt60 are the new ones or get deans plugs, whatever you choose now you will stick with on all your models in the future. The lipos will be perfect for this, you really need to upgrade your tx for this, i would leave the flaps for now and connect the ailerons individually if you can and set them up with the recommended differential - this will make the plane fly so much better, then when you get a new tx be excited all over again when you experience the flaps.
|Feb 06, 2013, 03:01 PM|
if we're talking THIS fun cub.....
it's got dual aileron servos AND dual flap servos ..
yes, you can fly the airplane without flaps,
yes, you can still use the DX5e (get two 'Y'cords, one for ailerons, one for flaps)
when the time comes, get a DX7S (JUST MY Opinion) .. but don't get a standard (old) DX7.
(I'd CALL tower .. they should be able to help you get the correct battery connectors)
hope that helps.
|Feb 07, 2013, 01:45 AM|
|Category||Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Discussion||Multirotor add ons for fun!||ecks||Multirotor Talk||60||Feb 24, 2013 03:03 AM|
|Discussion||Indoor XB-35 (concept stealth) just for fun.||birdofprey||Flying Wings||10||Feb 01, 2013 03:07 PM|
|Discussion||Names for fun||keith S||Dock Talk||7||Jan 12, 2013 08:46 PM|
|nimh question for Piccolo Fun||tadatuo||Micro Helis||7||Jan 31, 2004 12:41 AM|