HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:10 PM
Joined Mar 2010
232 Posts
Discussion
Vintage tamiya ta01

Hi all,

My mother has just made us kids clean out her attic and I came across my old tamiya ford cosworth 1/10 car. Not really looked it over but it seems fairly intact except the tires, they are very flat on one side where it has been sitting on them for the last 15 years or so.

Is it worth seeing it go again or selling on eBay?

Or, should it be consigned to the bin and let the fond memories be just that, memories.
Sarboy is offline Find More Posts by Sarboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:43 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,910 Posts
I think the bin is a waste. Either make it a nice shelf queen, render it fully operative again, or sell it to someone who wants to do either things. History must be treasured.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:09 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarboy View Post
Hi all,

My mother has just made us kids clean out her attic and I came across my old tamiya ford cosworth 1/10 car. Not really looked it over but it seems fairly intact except the tires, they are very flat on one side where it has been sitting on them for the last 15 years or so.

Is it worth seeing it go again or selling on eBay?

Or, should it be consigned to the bin and let the fond memories be just that, memories.
I would make it go again but drive it gingerly
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:11 PM
Joined Jan 2013
10 Posts
I would be happy to make it go if you are willing to sell it. I have been looking for one to put a Audi Quattro shell on it.
mozzar is offline Find More Posts by mozzar
Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:50 AM
Joined Mar 2010
232 Posts
Cheers for the reply's.

I have given it a lot of thought and think I would like to get it running again. It's the first rc car I built myself and for that reason I think I'd like to see it go.

So with that in mind I need some gear. I have an Rx, but will need esc, motor, lipo and steering servo. Additionally I'll need a new set of wheels and tires along with a motor mount, pinon and servo lugs(to mount the steering servo) as I have no idea where the old ones are? And a body shell.

I don't want to break the bank so could anyone recommend a steering servo and could I go brushless? Or will the gearbox not take it?

I've spent the afternoon cleaning it up, hope you like?

Name: image.jpg
Views: 74
Size: 244.3 KB
Description:
Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:51 AM
Joined Mar 2010
232 Posts
Views: 48
Size: 266.9 KB
Description:
Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:52 AM
Joined Mar 2010
232 Posts
Views: 49
Size: 320.2 KB
Description:
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:42 PM
Joined Mar 2010
232 Posts
Went out and got all the parts to do up the model.

First job, take apart the gear box and upgrade with full ball race.

Views: 75
Size: 122.0 KB
Description:
Old Mar 13, 2013, 12:46 PM
Joined Mar 2010
232 Posts
Views: 71
Size: 247.5 KB
Description: In bits!
Old Mar 13, 2013, 08:58 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,350 Posts
Looking good keep it up
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Mar 14, 2013, 06:10 AM
Joined Mar 2010
232 Posts
Ready to run!

Views: 86
Size: 253.2 KB
Description:
Old Mar 14, 2013, 06:11 AM
Joined Mar 2010
232 Posts
Views: 69
Size: 263.7 KB
Description:
Old Mar 15, 2013, 04:28 PM
Joined Mar 2010
232 Posts
Had it running today. It's nice and a real trip down memory lane. It is slow though. I'd forgotten how slow a brushed motor is. It just doesn't have much punch. I'm running it on a nimh which is 120g heavier than a lipo. That's 8.5% of the total weight. Do you think it's worth getting a lipo. The other option is to get a lower turn motor?
Old Mar 23, 2013, 02:53 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
If you are going to upgrade the motor and electronics look to brushless, do not worry about the gear box standing up to it Tamiya makes solid stuff. If you’re simply looking for a little more get bearings first then a lower turn motor they can be had for cheap if you look.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Mar 23, 2013, 04:26 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
11,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarboy View Post
Had it running today. It's nice and a real trip down memory lane. It is slow though. I'd forgotten how slow a brushed motor is. It just doesn't have much punch. I'm running it on a nimh which is 120g heavier than a lipo. That's 8.5% of the total weight. Do you think it's worth getting a lipo. The other option is to get a lower turn motor?
The stock motors of these cars are usually not that hot. I remember a classmate, years ago, having bought a Tamiya Hot Shot II or so, and the Marui cars another classmate and I had, could almost run rings around the Tamiya. Turns out Marui was bundling their cars with a slightly tuned motor, with a black can that gave these cars a serious advantage in power.

I'm running some vintage cars these days as well, like a Kyosho Lazer ZX Sport, which is a belt drive 4WD. One car is running on lipo with a 15 turn motor, and gets easily up to around 45 km/h. Another newer Lazer, a ZX-5, is running a Duratrax Photon 19T on lipo, doing almost 40 km/h. These are decent speeds, combined with good acceleration.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member