HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:09 PM
warbirds
United States, PA, Waterford
Joined Jul 2007
88 Posts
Discussion
SPECTRA LINE for Sheets???

Hi Guys, Rookie here, if I were to replace the sheets/lines on my Seawind or Fairwind what brand or type is the best to use? I see alot use the Spectra.

What # size do you use ??

Also do/would you use the same size through out, and is white the best for visibility? I like to see'm, I think it makes a sailboat look really good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ePacket-to-U...item2a1fe09d27

Thanks for your help,
mark
willey is online now Find More Posts by willey
Last edited by willey; Feb 05, 2013 at 03:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:27 PM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
501 Posts
You will get a lot of answers, I use 50# on my Seawind, Nirvana, and ODOM, no problems.
seabee CE is online now Find More Posts by seabee CE
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:47 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee CE View Post
You will get a lot of answers, I use 50# on my Seawind, Nirvana, and ODOM, no problems.
What SeaBee said.
gpzy is offline Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:52 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,515 Posts
That is one purdy Seawind! Nice paint work! Spectra line is a great for sheets.
Make sure the diameter works for your set up. Diameter is determined by the test of the line. But you already new that.
Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:27 PM
United States, MA, Wenham
Joined Jan 2007
1,495 Posts
30lb braided Dacron.

http://www.basspro.com/Offshore-Angl...product/20099/
breakwater is online now Find More Posts by breakwater
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:17 PM
Joined Sep 2009
172 Posts
I love that paint job on your hull.
m.g. is offline Find More Posts by m.g.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:49 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
691 Posts
A lot depends on the size/type of bowsies you use . I've used the medium weight (66lb. I think) Dyneema/Spectra from Midwest Model Yachting with good results for sheets where you want it to run smoothly, and the heavier (110 lb I think) for luff adjustments etc. that are adjusted less frequently, but that I for sure don't want to have slip. I've also used Dyneema kite string from EBay that works OK, though it's a little looser braid then the stuff from MMY.

Kevin
poltergeist is offline Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:22 AM
Love RC Yachts!!!
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2012
163 Posts
Spectra/dyneema is great for all rigging, as it has VERY little stretch. The good stuff ( 4-8 carriage fishing line) is very tightly woven, and having low friction coatings on them. The better ones feel totally smooth in the fingers.
I use 20 lbs for luff ties, topping lift etc.
50 lbs for sheets and drive lines.
80 lbs for jib halyard, jackstay tension, Cunningham, luff tensioning etc
bigpat is offline Find More Posts by bigpat
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:34 PM
warbirds
United States, PA, Waterford
Joined Jul 2007
88 Posts
Thanks guy's for the compliments on the Seawind, it was alot of fun building and painting, was my first boat build and got carried away alittle.

also thanks for the feedback on the line used, one reason I was asking is that I just bought the TT Volans and I was going to replace the lines/sheets if they were a lower quality??? just received it tonight and I have not really looked yet at the line?

would it be a good thing to do? or just use the stock line that comes with it?

Learned a ton here on RCG guy's thanks for all your help.

RSW
Rookie Sailer Willey
willey is online now Find More Posts by willey
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:02 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by willey View Post
would it be a good thing to do? or just use the stock line that comes with it?
Willey:

The line that comes with the kit is fine for the stays (a bit large in diameter but not too bad), but it is too stiff for the sheets, particularly in light air. If the line you bought is smooth, soft and large enough in diameter so it won't hang up in the turning block on the deck, then I would use it in place of the stock line.

I mention the diameter because if it is too small it can jump out of the sheave and get caught between it and the cheeks. Larger diameter line can't get hung up, but you may have to drill out the exit hole on the deck to accommodate the larger line.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:02 AM
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamCrusher View Post
Willey:

The line that comes with the kit is fine for the stays (a bit large in diameter but not too bad), but it is too stiff for the sheets, particularly in light air. If the line you bought is smooth, soft and large enough in diameter so it won't hang up in the turning block on the deck, then I would use it in place of the stock line.

I mention the diameter because if it is too small it can jump out of the sheave and get caught between it and the cheeks. Larger diameter line can't get hung up, but you may have to drill out the exit hole on the deck to accommodate the larger line.

FC
Kind of a "catch 22" isn't it?

I originally changed my Nirvana factory sheets to 50# dark green Spectra fishing line, with a hard slippery finish.
Pretty much invisible from a few feet away.
The sails looked like they were being pulled in by magic. Kind weird.
Worked well though, didn't stretch, and didn't absorb water and pull it into the radio box etc. (The Nirvana sheets run along the deck on the starboard rail which is sometime under water)
BUT...sometimes it would get caught between the pulley and the sheave cheeks as it was so skinny. Couldn't find any thicker Spectra line in these parts.

One day I saw some white 100# for sale on Ebay for next to nothing.
Switched that into my Nirvana, and as mentioned above, I had to enlarge the holes a bit.
Well, the white lines looked great, but all of a sudden I was getting a lot of water in my heretofore dry running boat. Also more friction because of the thicker diameter
(My sheaves couldn't handle the added thickness).
Switched it back to the green stuff, and all is well.
Note:
Eventually the 50# Spectra, because it is so hard and slippery, develops a shape inside the radio box around the end of the servo arm and when the sails are in, the loop just sort of sits there waiting for the arm and pulley to come back, and therefore doesn't get caught between the pulley and the cheeks, unless disturbed by fingers or something.

For my new Fairwind III, the 100" white line is perfect.
No friction problems, it doesn't come anywhere near my radio box and because of the rigging layout, the sheets don't get very wet anyway.
The white 100# Spectra is way softer and more pliable (read limp), than the lines that come with the FW III, (hard nylon core fabric coated stuff that kinks, it's good for tying loops around the booms though).
The bowsies stay where you put them and the one sheave/pulley (that I introduced to the rigging), has no problems with the line slipping off and getting stuck, as the line is much thicker.

You have to experiment a bit, and every boat is a little different.
Fun eh!
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:17 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,071 Posts
50 lb is more than ample in strength for sheets on any R/C boat,the problem is that it is too thin and will slip in the bowsies.Heavy air sailing requires 130lb test on standard Sailsetc bowsies in order not to slip.
The Tug is online now Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:34 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
50 lb is more than ample in strength for sheets on any R/C boat,the problem is that it is too thin and will slip in the bowsies.Heavy air sailing requires 130lb test on standard Sailsetc bowsies in order not to slip.
Well, it depends upon the braid of the line.

I have three different spools of Spectra based line:
65 lb Spiderwire 0.012" diameter - Green - smooth, slippery and very stiff. Jams in bocks.
80 lb Sufix 0.018" diameter - Green - softer with a very braided cover, slippery. Works in some blocks, but not others.
100 lb PowerPro 0.020" diameter - White - braided cover - initially stiff but can be softened by running it across a metal edge. Not rough, but not smooth either. Does not jam in the blocks I have.

Bowsies don't hold really well on either of the first two, but well enough to use for a topping lift or winds up to 10 mph. I have used the PowerPro 100 lb line for sheets and outhauls on the high end of the wind range on a US1M B rig without any slipping, so while diameter is a factor, how rough the texture of the braid is and how stiff the line is also enter into how well it works.

That said, the 100 lb line is still too stiff for light air sheets. The sails will not easily swing from tack to tack in a whisper of wind.

I would like to find a Spectra line in the 100 - 130 lb range that is soft (limp) with a smooth surface. You can't tell when ordering over the net what a line will be like and unless you are near the coast where tackle shops carry high test line, you cannot pull out a few feet and test it.

Anyone have a recommendation and source?

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:37 PM
Nirvana 38, Seawind 178
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2012
501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
Have 50lb on my ODOM, Nirvana, and Seawind, no slippage, no binding, no problems. As with any line, the equipment and line have to be compatible. I think matching componets is equally as important as which line is chosen. Just my experience. As I said in first response, there will be a lot of answers, and for the most part, none of them are wrong. It's like the guys selling stocks and bonds say, these results are no guarentee that your results will be similar as conditions may vary.
seabee CE is online now Find More Posts by seabee CE
Last edited by seabee CE; Feb 08, 2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:03 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,515 Posts
I drift back to my preference for using the SS leader and SS rigging screws for shrouds and the back stay. I don't mind using bowsies but much prefer the precision of the rigging screws for this application.

It's been stated and probably worth it saying it again in summary; the right spectra or other line often depends on the boat. The answer in broad terms is that Spectra is great for sheets with the condition being you must select the appropriate test (strength), durometer (hardness) and the color (kidding) I guess color could be a factor for those of us that are into details like that.

I think this dialog on the use of Spectra for use as sheets is very interesting and educational. You can sure learn a lot here!
Good stuff mates.

Boomer
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Feb 09, 2013 at 09:04 AM.