Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:10 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
Huh? One club sending a built plane to another club to another club, just to fly it.

How does that promote the hobby to the masses? I do more to promote this hobby in my day to day interaction with people in my area .... that do not already fly or build. Two of our three clubs in this area are growing in spite of Wings Across America. Neither of those two clubs wanted anything to do with WAW.

I seriously doubt that Frank has done more to promote the hobby than any other member at RCG.
your one click away from the ignore list,you dont know the man,as others do,you with your 326 posts coming at people that have been on here for years,TROLL
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:12 PM
Smoke em ' If ya got em
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,406 Posts
I for one would love to do a kit. But the lack of full on knowledge (And tools) of doing suck a kit is holding me back at this time. I'm just getting back into planes after 3 years of nothing but helis. So I'm baby stepping my way back in. Much respect for the guys that have the labor of love and build their own. I can only imagine what it must be like to take weeks if not months to do a nice build, And the feeling one has of its maiden.
I find it fascinating, And dig all the custom work put into one. .. soon i imagine i will be on the look out for a local one on one teacher.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:12 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
I've been part of Frank's Grand Plans before. I've shilled for Balsa Building at Frank's behest. (Ref: the "Let's Build a Plane Together" threads.) Sometimes I wondered if I was promoting Balsa Building or promoting Frank. But enough's enough.

I've noticed a short attention span on Frank's part. Starts off with hoopla and fanfare, posting on multiple forums... and long before it's done, Frank's left the building... only to reappear weeks or months later, with another Grand Plan. I'll say no more. Frank's detractors have a way of vanishing from this site without a trace.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:58 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
I've been part of Frank's Grand Plans before. I've shilled for Balsa Building at Frank's behest. (Ref: the "Let's Build a Plane Together" threads.) Sometimes I wondered if I was promoting Balsa Building or promoting Frank. But enough's enough.

I've noticed a short attention span on Frank's part. Starts off with hoopla and fanfare, posting on multiple forums... and long before it's done, Frank's left the building... only to reappear weeks or months later, with another Grand Plan. I'll say no more. Frank's detractors have a way of vanishing from this site without a trace.
Alzheimer,s ??
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:57 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,372 Posts
There's an awful lot of concern about what other people do or don't do for the hobby.

Me?

I sit in my room with a stack of balsa, a bottle of glue, and a mouth of profanity and I crank out my airplanes and I fly them and I crash them and I'm happy. I don't try to organize large functions within the modeling community for any purpose, magnanimous or egotistical, and I've found that my ever-growing experience and knowledge continue to be met with an increasingly hostile attitude toward my decreasingly frequent attempts to share.

In other words, the more I try to do for the hobby (or more specifically, the hobbyists, and particularly the newer hobbyists), the more I get slapped for it. I believe I see a few names in this thread already who have asked for help, received it, and then bitten the hands that fed them after feeling insulted by the answers they received.

I believe Frank has noticed a similar phenomenon, which may be part of the reason why he proposes well-intentioned concepts and then seems to disappear after the first few rounds of discussion sweep through. Perhaps, sort of like the concepts themselves, it's less to do with Frank himself and more to do with the community he's addressing.
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:52 PM
Joined Sep 2005
986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsymonds View Post
For someone who wants respect for foam your sure going about it the wrong way. As for wood always being the "same old tired design" I beg to differ. When was the last time you saw one of these at your local field? Stop being a troll.
That was really persuasive! I don’t know about everyone else, but I’m converted. I am now itching to have a balsa plane.

Can you build me one of these? I am sure that if I show up to my “local flying field” with one of these that I’ll be the belle of the ball. And who doesn’t want to be a belle, particularly in the company of a bunch of fine older gentlemen at the “local flying field”? And if anyone tries to upstage me, I will slap them down and shout: “WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU SAW ONE OF THESE HERE? HUH? HUH? LOOK AT MY BALSA PLANE. LOOK AT IT. ARE YOU LOOKING AT MY BALSA PLANE? BECAUSE I DON’T THINK YOU ARE. LOOK AT IT.”

And then we will stand around in a circle and commence with our balsa bonding ritual. You know, the one where all the men stand in a circle.

I am so excited at the new perspective and opportunity that you have given me.
GoatZilla is offline Find More Posts by GoatZilla
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:56 PM
United States, NE, Kearney
Joined Dec 2011
2,232 Posts
Quote:
I think in this day and age it's a noble offer to intruduce others to building or do so for those who can't for whatever reason but still want a quality plane.

For someone who wants respect for foam your sure going about it the wrong way. As for wood always being the "same old tired design" I beg to differ. When was the last time you saw one of these at your local field? Stop being a troll.
Superb model.

Few people have the creative genius to dream of, and build something on this scale.

Well done!
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:24 PM
Snappy Title On Backorder....
United States, TX, Killeen
Joined Jun 2011
1,030 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatZilla View Post
That was really persuasive! I don’t know about everyone else, but I’m converted. I am now itching to have a balsa plane.

Can you build me one of these? I am sure that if I show up to my “local flying field” with one of these that I’ll be the belle of the ball. And who doesn’t want to be a belle, particularly in the company of a bunch of fine older gentlemen at the “local flying field”? And if anyone tries to upstage me, I will slap them down and shout: “WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU SAW ONE OF THESE HERE? HUH? HUH? LOOK AT MY BALSA PLANE. LOOK AT IT. ARE YOU LOOKING AT MY BALSA PLANE? BECAUSE I DON’T THINK YOU ARE. LOOK AT IT.”

And then we will stand around in a circle and commence with our balsa bonding ritual. You know, the one where all the men stand in a circle.

I am so excited at the new perspective and opportunity that you have given me.
Grow up. You sound like the standard issue bully that will verbally attack anybody that has a different opinion than you. My response/pics were simply to show you that balsa doesn't mean same old crap as you have stated. I'm done with your tantrums and this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustBen View Post
Superb model.

Few people have the creative genius to dream of, and build something on this scale.

Well done!
Thank you much. Long but enjoyable build.
tsymonds is offline Find More Posts by tsymonds
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:53 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,928 Posts
Too much trolling about in this thread. Thread reported for moderation.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Last edited by Xpress..; Feb 06, 2013 at 11:59 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:03 AM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
Too much trolling about in this thread. Thread reported for moderation.
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:57 AM
United States, OR, Salem
Joined Jan 2012
287 Posts
I've only been in the hobby for a little over a year. I've built 26 foamies from plans, four foam ARFs and just recently built my first balsa kit. I'm now hooked!! The sense of accomplishment and pride I feel when I look at it will keep me looking for the next kit to build.
LawnDartMike is offline Find More Posts by LawnDartMike
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:33 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
Me?

... I've found that my ever-growing experience and knowledge continue to be met with an increasingly hostile attitude toward my decreasingly frequent attempts to share.

In other words, the more I try to do for the hobby (or more specifically, the hobbyists, and particularly the newer hobbyists), the more I get slapped for it...
Poor poor pitiful you.

Long distance runner, what you holding out for
Caught in slow motion in a dash to the door
The flame from your stage has now spread to the floor
You gave all you had. why you wanna give more?
The more that you give, the more it will take
To the thin line beyond which you really can't fake.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:07 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,842 Posts
Quote:
Grow up. You sound like the standard issue bully that will verbally attack anybody that has a different opinion than you. My response/pics were simply to show you that balsa doesn't mean same old crap as you have stated. I'm done with your tantrums and this thread.
Eh, let him play with his foam toys, this thread is for real men.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:17 AM
centennial/aurora colorado
Joined Mar 2008
1,387 Posts
I have a 60size model tech p-51 with the large proper scale cowl that i would love to build and fly. i just dont have the time or space needed to do it plus im secretly convinced balsa hates me. ive tried some work on it but every thing i do just seems to flop. so in short i would love for someone to build it for me or maybe teach me so i can see if im doing something wrong because i have no clue and i dont want to ruin the model.
kelloggair is offline Find More Posts by kelloggair
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:13 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
There's an awful lot of concern about what other people do or don't do for the hobby.

Me?

I sit in my room with a stack of balsa, a bottle of glue, and a mouth of profanity and I crank out my airplanes and I fly them and I crash them and I'm happy. I don't try to organize large functions within the modeling community for any purpose, magnanimous or egotistical, and I've found that my ever-growing experience and knowledge continue to be met with an increasingly hostile attitude toward my decreasingly frequent attempts to share.

In other words, the more I try to do for the hobby (or more specifically, the hobbyists, and particularly the newer hobbyists), the more I get slapped for it. I believe I see a few names in this thread already who have asked for help, received it, and then bitten the hands that fed them after feeling insulted by the answers they received.

I believe Frank has noticed a similar phenomenon, which may be part of the reason why he proposes well-intentioned concepts and then seems to disappear after the first few rounds of discussion sweep through. Perhaps, sort of like the concepts themselves, it's less to do with Frank himself and more to do with the community he's addressing.
Sadly, there are always going to be people that want to piss in your corn flakes no matter what the reason. I guess that it how it is. It was like that when I first joined and it is like that today. And when you see someone doing something good for other people, the bitterness really comes out.

Those people who constantly make slanderous posts and personal attacks certainly want to make you want to give up and quit trying to help, but the best thing we can do is just try to ignore them and press on. If we always listened to the naysayers I would think that a lot of help and advice would not be passed along.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Who Appreciates Your Work?