HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:53 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,253 Posts
I would gladly have someone build a kit for me, as I have zero desire to do so. I appreciate the most generous offer to have it done for free, but I would insist on payment. Or at the very least, an exchange of services (for me it would be IT-based).
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I gots me a Goblin!
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:55 PM
Joined Sep 2005
974 Posts
No, because balsa sucks.

Even if someone were to build one for me, I wouldn't want to own one. It's more difficult to repair and modify, and probably more expensive in the long run, for NO GAIN WHATSOEVER. So it's all drawbacks and no benefits. What kind of decision making process are you guys employing to make such an arrangement worthwhile?

If I were to have someone build something for me, I would have them build something that actually needed to be built (i.e. something new/different/unavailable) instead of the *same.old.tired.design*.

This is just a waste of time. Some of you have a lot of time on your hands, and that's your choice.
GoatZilla is offline Find More Posts by GoatZilla
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:59 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
25,918 Posts
Being an electrical/mechanical fix-it guy, fisherman, hunter, beer brewer, jerky maker, ammo reloader, chow hall cook etc. I sometimes wish that the economy go ahead and tank once and for all so we can get back more to the barter system. Makes for a closer-knit society, imo.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:00 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood View Post
Being an electrical/mechanical fix-it guy, fisherman, hunter, beer brewer, jerky maker, ammo reloader, chow hall cook etc. I sometimes wish that the economy go ahead and tank once and for all so we can get back more to the barter system. Makes for a closer-knit society, imo.

mw
I'm a huge microbrew fan, so if you ever need a laptop fixed, I'm sure we can work something out!
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I gots me a Goblin!
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:27 PM
United States, TX, Cibolo
Joined Nov 2011
327 Posts
I think society has gotten to the point of they want it now and don't want to have to take the time to put something together that they may not like, or the attention span isn't there to actually complete a project,or they don't have the time, I myself love building and have done it with only a small saw and exacto knife in my young years to now where I have the tools to do it much easier,I also like the arfs, foamies, I perfer scale type planes, and building from scratch lets me detail to the level I like, I just wish more people would discover the joy of building and flying something they built, a sense of accomplishment, and the bragging rites, yeah I built that! And then on the flip side yeah I carry a foamie parkflyer to fly in the parking lot at work.
Hollywood2979 is offline Find More Posts by Hollywood2979
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:32 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,469 Posts
I agree with that. They are missing out on a lot of fun.
I wish I was able to still build like I used to.
There was a lot of pleasure to be had at the work bench. building a well designed kit. Enjoyed the sanding and shaping and covering. Seeing the airplane emerge from the pieces and parts. And then take to the air when it was done.

Not for everyone of course. But wish more would at least give it a try.
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Odb vi
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:15 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
I think that the flyers coming up behind us older guys aren't gonna build to many kit's, heck, we otta be glad they even have the interest to fly some thing that's not on a screen! My last kit was in '85, a Kyosho Ag Wagon, fuel. My dad was a commercial pilot that would have rather been a cabinet maker so when he wasn't flyin he was building something and something to write home about. He made me learn to grab the right size wrench without looking at the size stamped on it or else. I don't have the space anymore or the mindset to kit build anymore so I ARF. Looked down at foam at first but.... I love my Fun Cub! I was/am a master cabinet/shipbuilder who was taught by his dad in his absence's making a living doing the projects he had me do while he was gone and was graded harshly. I started my first boat at 15 a 10' hydro, 3 days before hurricane Camille hit our home in Miss. One of my projects. That was a fast boat!!! Dave/zeezee
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:18 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
I understand the concept quite well. I need $140,000 to pay off my mortgage. Care to pay it forward?

And yes, anything that Frank does 'to promote the hobby', I consider questionable as to the intent. That is what I have observed.
What is questionable in intent about 'Wings Across America"?

With that single effort, Frank has done more to promote the hobby and bring R/Cers together from all over the country than any other single RCG member, period.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:40 PM
Custom Rekitter
United States, TX, Killeen
Joined Jun 2011
914 Posts
I think in this day and age it's a noble offer to intruduce others to building or do so for those who can't for whatever reason but still want a quality plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatZilla View Post
No, because balsa sucks.

Even if someone were to build one for me, I wouldn't want to own one. It's more difficult to repair and modify, and probably more expensive in the long run, for NO GAIN WHATSOEVER. So it's all drawbacks and no benefits. What kind of decision making process are you guys employing to make such an arrangement worthwhile?

If I were to have someone build something for me, I would have them build something that actually needed to be built (i.e. something new/different/unavailable) instead of the *same.old.tired.design*.

This is just a waste of time. Some of you have a lot of time on your hands, and that's your choice.
For someone who wants respect for foam your sure going about it the wrong way. As for wood always being the "same old tired design" I beg to differ. When was the last time you saw one of these at your local field? Stop being a troll.
tsymonds is online now Find More Posts by tsymonds
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:28 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
And that is one of the driving factors for me and others to do this. There are a number of folks that are just not able to build anymore due to health issues or for many other reasons.
I humbly submit... that this is what foam is for. "Not being able to build or fly your own Mountain Models plane" is not really one of life's more egregious burdens. Or put another way, 99.999999% of the general population does indeed suffer from this condition and yet, amazingly, the DSM-IV doesn't list it, but maybe DSM-V will.

Quote:
Being able to help a fellow modeler if they want a custom built plane is a gift that many of us can provide. I know personally, I have been helped many times in my "RC career" and this is just a small way I can pay it forward.

Frank
Overall I haven't had much exposure to true altruism at the field. I imagine if I ever get old and weird enough to spend most of my waking hours there -- like some of the old pharts I know from the club, g*d help me -- I'll join the Muroc Volunteer Balsa Builders Brigade. Last year when I was unemployed for a while I did in fact do a bit of "pro bono" work for some guys building a big 16' drone.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:55 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatZilla View Post
No, because balsa sucks.

lol Just because you don't have the skill to use the material doesn't make it worthless. Trollololol.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:59 PM
Joined Dec 2005
5,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
What is questionable in intent about 'Wings Across America"?

With that single effort, Frank has done more to promote the hobby and bring R/Cers together from all over the country than any other single RCG member, period.

Huh? One club sending a built plane to another club to another club, just to fly it.

How does that promote the hobby to the masses? I do more to promote this hobby in my day to day interaction with people in my area .... that do not already fly or build. Two of our three clubs in this area are growing in spite of Wings Across America. Neither of those two clubs wanted anything to do with WAW.

I seriously doubt that Frank has done more to promote the hobby than any other member at RCG.
Obake is offline Find More Posts by Obake
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:54 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,469 Posts
You have zero knowledge of what Frank and others do and have done. That plane has been on tv in newspapers and radio stations across the country. Might want to do a little more reading.

This is not the only site Frank is on. He is on more and is as well respected there as he is here for what he does. Is he the only one that promotes the hobby? Nope of course not. but he does plenty and is not doing it for gain.

This is getting way off topic. It is about people's desire (or not) for a quality built model.
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Odb vi
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:05 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood View Post

mw
my kind of American !
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:05 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,724 Posts
When I started out almost 20 years ago, EPO, and even EPS were unheard of. It was either a Balsa ARF, or a kit. Most of the Balsa ARFs at that time needed a lot of attention. The builds were rather sub par, and you needed to look everything over, and re-glue most of it. Having been through Balsa kits, the introduction of EPS park fliers, and now on to EPP and EPO in larger scale, I have to say things have gotten better.

I pretty much was self taught, with help from a couple of people. Flying consisted of taking out a new balsa kit, nice and shiny, newley coverd. Take off, crash, 2 weeks of repair, and do it over again. Granted I don't crash as much as I used to, but I am still hard on my planes. A crash that would have destryoed a balsa plane, puts a few nicks and scratches in EPO. If I break a wing, I can repair it on the field and be flying again in less than half an hour.

I don't enjoy building balsa kits like I once did. My motto now is "If it aint EPO, its a no go!". That is just me, and I realize that others like the building as much as the flying. To each is his own.
MrRCFlying is offline Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor