HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:16 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood View Post
Yes I am and I'm happy to admit it. What's it to you?

Frank likes the way MM and Stevens planes are jigged to go together without a lot of fuss and he enjoys doing it. That's what he flies and sees it as a way to promote the hobby unlike others who see a conspiracy or a shill under every rock. The man wants to build MM or Stevens airframes for people for free to help folk understand and enjoy that particular segment of the hobby and you bag on him? What significant effort have you made lately to promote the hobby?

mw (pre-coffee)
Thank you Mark..

This isn't about promoting a product or airplane, this is about taking a great flying airplane that people are missing out on from the daunting task of having to assemble the entire kit, and having someone build it for them. What's so hard to understand about that?

I personally wouldn't mind that, I know the two aforementioned companies have great flying airplanes, that being said I'm not intimidated by a box full of balsa wood
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:23 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,420 Posts
Spot on, Tanner!

Hmmm. I just remembered that I have a Stevens Stella kit in storage.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Last edited by Mark Wood; Feb 06, 2013 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Stevens, not MM
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:26 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
20,936 Posts
Almost makes you want to go get a start on it, doesn't it?
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:32 AM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,420 Posts
Or turn Frank loose on it.

Lord knows I have the servos, power train and covering on hand.

mw
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:40 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,079 Posts
For those expert/veteran builders out there, Cleveland Plans still sells a number of plans in different scales for 20's to 60's era warbirds, civililan light planes and other categories. A buddy built this large Do-335 Pfiel and a number of others including an A-20 Havoc most recently.

http://www.clevelandairline.com/CM/CATALOG.shtml

Bob Goff's Flight of the Dornier (2 min 56 sec)
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:14 AM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,420 Posts
Very cool!

I did hear the owner say that the plans were somewhat...ummm...problematic.

mw
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:33 AM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
Cleveland has some nice stuff. Waaay back when I built some of their kits. Wide range mof models.
Would love to see some of them converted to laser cutting.
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:34 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,095 Posts
Why MM or SA planes? For me, I know them well and trust my abilities in building them for someone else. I would not want someone to give me a kit to build that I have never built before and screw it up for them. That would suck for the both of us.

The other folks who will be volunteering to build planes may decide they can build anything you want them to build. It is their call. You can work out the details with them.

Foe those that would like a kit built for them, just leave a note in my blog thread with the plane you are looking at and your location. Be patient please as we may not have anyone in your area as of yet. We are slowly building a list of volunteers that can either assist with building your plane (teaching you) or if you cannot build your own plane due to any number of reasons, they will build it for you.

As I said in another thread about this: This project is a win-win for all involved. We get to build great kits for free and also get the enjoyment/satisfaction of helping out our fellow modeler at the same time. What could be better than that?

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Last edited by Murocflyer; Feb 06, 2013 at 11:46 AM. Reason: typo
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:54 AM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987tc View Post
There are also a number ( a small number thankfully) of fliers who used to build and enjoyed it. But due to issues like health or accident no longer are able to.

They would appreciate the work involved in producing a well built model.
And that is one of the driving factors for me and others to do this. There are a number of folks that are just not able to build anymore due to health issues or for many other reasons.

Being able to help a fellow modeler if they want a custom built plane is a gift that many of us can provide. I know personally, I have been helped many times in my "RC career" and this is just a small way I can pay it forward.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:24 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
It is a wonderful thing to make it possible for someone to enjoy the hobby when they might otherwise not be able to.

It means a lot.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:49 PM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,420 Posts
Makes me ill these days when people suspect ulterior motives when someone else is just trying to do something decent in this world. Some people need to see the movie "Pay It Forward" to understand the concept, I guess.

mw
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:05 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
I know Frank well enough to say with out any hesitation that his motives are good. To help. And I suspect that is the same for many others.
It does make sense for him to suggest planes from places that are known to him for good quality in building and flying. That makes what he is offering to do more valuable. Because he wants to be sure they will end up with a great model.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:17 PM
High Exalted Poohbah
Atlanta, GA USA
Joined Sep 2001
1,884 Posts
For those of you who would like to try building your own balsa model, I recommend taking a look at a particular thread on this website:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1265873

All the plans are FREE, all you have to do is print them out on your home printer or take them to Kinko's (or to a blueprint house, MUCH cheaper). There is everything from simple balsa gliders to huge gas RC planes. The thread is now 750 pages long with over 1,000,000 replies and probably 250,000 plans. The plans are almost endless.

And for those of you who don't know this, the easiest way to transfer the parts to balsa is to print an extra plan. Find the part on the plan and cut it a little outside the lines and paste it to the balsa using a glue stick from an office supply store. Cut through the paper and balsa using a single-edge razor blade (box of 100 for $5 from Lowes or Home Depot or Harbor Freight). Peel off the paper and you have your part. If the paper adheres a little too much, paint on some alcohol on the paper and let it soak in.

Planeman
planeman is offline Find More Posts by planeman
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:22 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wood View Post
Makes me ill these days when people suspect ulterior motives when someone else is just trying to do something decent in this world. Some people need to see the movie "Pay It Forward" to understand the concept, I guess.

mw
I understand the concept quite well. I need $140,000 to pay off my mortgage. Care to pay it forward?

And yes, anything that Frank does 'to promote the hobby', I consider questionable as to the intent. That is what I have observed.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 01:48 PM
characters welcome!
Joined Feb 2000
26,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
I understand the concept quite well. I need $140,000 to pay off my mortgage. Care to pay it forward?

And yes, anything that Frank does 'to promote the hobby', I consider questionable as to the intent. That is what I have observed.
Observed?? So you spend considerable "face time" with him like I do, eh?

I'm truly sorry that you choose to go through life with your attitude. Must be difficult...or not.

mw