HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:02 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustBen View Post
But why would anyone ever volunteer to build/cover for anyone?
Those are acquired and developed skills.

I have a simple rule... do for others what they can do, for free.
The rest pay for what they cannot do but want from me.

In other words, don't expect the transmission shop to rebuild your 6-speed automatic for free.
Someone may be retired and have more time on their hands then they know what to do with. They may be on fixed income and not have means to buy kits and build them, they may enjoy building a kit more than flying (I know several guys like this, they just build and pretty much give it away after it's built).
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More Confessions of a Smoker
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:31 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
25,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafe_b View Post
You forgot to mention.... covering, glue (of several types & viscosities,) CA hinges or hinge tape, hobby knife blades, sandpaper (of several grades,) covering iron socks, electricity, heat and light for your shop -- and that's just the expendable/replaceable supplies that come to mind, just to get to a covered airframe. And never mind the occasional broken drill bit or saw blade. If you say the drill and saw are unnecessary, then maybe you plan for zero mistakes or hacking anywhere along the way.
I have all those things and would not ask for payment on those items except for covering. But if I had left over covering from a previous build, the next guy would not have to pay for covering ($16 a roll) if he chose the same color.

Frank
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:32 PM
probro 2567
Midlothian,VA
Joined Jan 2006
322 Posts
Quote:
But why would anyone ever volunteer to build/cover for anyone?
Those are acquired and developed skills.

I have a simple rule... do for others what they can do, for free.
The rest pay for what they cannot do but want from me.

In other words, don't expect the transmission shop to rebuild your 6-speed automatic for free.
Why? Because I enjoy building. I enjoy helping others. I'm currently building a profile for a club member and not charging him a dime. I've done it before for another club member also. All I charge is the the cost of materials. The club member wanted something like what I had but didn't have the time or tools to build so I offered to build one for him. I also work a 40hr+ job a week but I build after work when I have time. The build is on my time frame but it's winter and not much flying is going on right now. It's all about helping others enjoy the hobby as much as you do.

Here's the build going on now. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1821273

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1825723
kwj48 is offline Find More Posts by kwj48
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:35 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murocflyer View Post
I have all those things and would not ask for payment on those items except for covering. But if I had left over covering from a previous build, the next guy would not have to pay for covering ($16 a roll) if he chose the same color.

Frank
Here's a true story, Frank. I really like these cheap Depron Foamies that BP Hobbies sells. I like them so much that one day, a couple years ago, I offered to build one "at cost" for any flying buddy of mine that wanted one. I would deliver them receiver-ready. I figured that once I was in mass-production mode it would take me maybe just two or three hours per plane to do the job. I got half a dozen takers. Long story short, and maybe 'cuz I'm a crappy businessman, I lost money on the deal, exactly because I forgot to figure in all those miscellaneous and sundry costs.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:50 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,448 Posts
Nice assembly line you got going there. And I hear what you are saying. I'm sure I'll loose out as well, but if I can help get some of our fellow modelers out there flying a great model airplane, it will be worth it.

Frank
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:51 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwj48 View Post
Why? Because I enjoy building. I enjoy helping others. I'm currently building a profile for a club member and not charging him a dime. I've done it before for another club member also. All I charge is the the cost of materials. The club member wanted something like what I had but didn't have the time or tools to build so I offered to build one for him. I also work a 40hr+ job a week but I build after work when I have time. The build is on my time frame but it's winter and not much flying is going on right now. It's all about helping others enjoy the hobby as much as you do.

Here's the build going on now. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1821273

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1825723
My hat is off to you Sir! Way to go!

I hope we can start echoing that philosophy all across RCG.

Frank
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:50 AM
United States, AL, Gardendale
Joined Dec 2011
2,347 Posts
Quote:
My hat is off to you Sir! Way to go!

I hope we can start echoing that philosophy all across RCG.

Frank
Again, I disagree.
From the theme of "giving a man a fish" as opposed to "teaching a man to fish" philosophy...
It does no good to give an otherwise competent person a plane when they can learn to build one.

We each have our perspective on this, but I always would rather teach "how to" instead of leaving them still dependent upon others.
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:55 AM
Joined Nov 2005
25,448 Posts
Quote:
Again, I disagree.
From the theme of "giving a man a fish" as opposed to "teaching a man to fish" philosophy...
It does no good to give an otherwise competent person a plane when they can learn to build one.

We each have our perspective on this, but I always would rather teach "how to" instead of leaving them still dependent upon others.
I agree. I have not ruled out the idea of teaching someone to build a plane. That is clearly stated in post #1. But there are some folks who simply cannot or are able to build. There is no reason we cannot help them out by providing a helpful hand.

Frank
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:35 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
Quote:
I agree. I have not ruled out the idea of teaching someone to build a plane. That is clearly stated in post #1. But there are some folks who simply cannot or are able to build. There is no reason we cannot help them out by providing a helpful hand.

Frank
AMEN!
What is wrong with someone offering to help? If you do not need or want the help that is well and good. But there are some who could benefit from this kind act. If someone has the desire to help and someone needs the help for what ever reason what is the downside?
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:00 PM
Joined Nov 2005
25,448 Posts
There were folks that have asked me to include all types of air frames in this project so I have opened this up to all forms of model aviation.

I just hope there are people willing to volunteer to share their skills and experience with others. I know there are a lot of folks that are willing to help via the forums but interaction with strangers in real life can be unnerving to them.

Frank