HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:20 PM
United States, WY, Gillette
Joined Oct 2008
158 Posts
Help!
riser(sig)

need help on decision.Flaps or Spoilers.will the flaps give a large enough advantage when camber and reflux are used when thermaling.if i go that far would there be an advatage in ailerons?if i went this far should i lower my outboard dihedriel or maybe eliminated that entirely.sorry about my spelling.thnks in advance for any and all productive input or critic.model has been a pleasure to build.very impresed for the price.know its not an elite but tryin to wring what i can outof it..
ratlm is offline Find More Posts by ratlm
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:41 PM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,675 Posts
Having built 2 or 3 Riser 100s, I'd say keep it as designed with spoilers. All the other stuff just adds complexity and weight, and the Riser is not very light to start.

Build it as light as you possibly can, and as you get more comfortable flying it, don't be afraid to move the CG back.... it will greatly improve its flying and ability to signal lift.
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:34 PM
Joined Oct 2008
158 Posts
riser

thnks lv for the reply.dont have a problem with moving cg back.i allways just suit myself using there cg as a guideline.havnt flown a riser 2 or 100 so im fishing.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:17 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,517 Posts
I like spoilers on polyhedral wings.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:35 PM
Joined Oct 2008
158 Posts
riser

aeajr thnks for the response.i value your opinion a lot.just givin you a feather.will stick with spoilers on this but when i get to my next bird of time"""" well who knows.bob
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:19 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,517 Posts
My 2M Poly wing gliders:

Spirit
Sagitta 600 (gone to its rest)
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:09 PM
Joined Oct 2008
158 Posts
sagitta

to bad about the sagitta.a guy in our club picked one up for $25 at the flyin last year.i had went home for about an hour and the guy showed up and sold two perfect built gliders to him for $25 a piece.hes really not into gliders but wont sell.im hopin he will get interested as i have no glider guys to fly with at all.that and combat is all im interested in.soaring is so interesting,you never reach a point where its not challenging you.plenty to be thinking about.i guess they see it floating around up there and it looks boreing or they just dont want the mental exercise it takes to hang with the birds.evertime i type birds in here im that much closer to building another BIRD OF TIME.better shutup and get the riser finished.hey ive got a 30 something yr old graupner ls4 ,never built.im workin my way threw.what do you think about puttin flaps on that thing.its 3 meter?would it help it thermal better?all ive flown full house is a spirit elite arf.and a radian pro.but it sure made a difference with them.especially the elite.thnks again for the post.bob
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:15 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,517 Posts
I don't know anything about that glider.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 03:57 PM
Joined Oct 2008
158 Posts
ls4

aeajr,i dont eithergetting sorry i bought it.talked about it on scale site and they didnt think it was a very good thermal ship
Closed Thread