HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:26 AM
United States, IA, Grimes
Joined Mar 2005
119 Posts
Discussion
HobbyKing ECO8 Temp probe?

Anybody know where I can get my hands on a Temp probe that will work with the ECO8? Or is there really even a need for one?
wraith0078 is offline Find More Posts by wraith0078
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:31 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,254 Posts
You only need a temp probe for charging nimh/nicad. If you are only charging lipos you don't need one, it won't do anything.

As for where to get one I believe you can build one out of a LM35 temp sensor. See this thread.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:56 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,704 Posts
If you still want/need this I suggest you find a piece of hard strand K Type wire. Strip the insulation back and twist the wires together very tightly. For what you are doing it will work fine. DO NOT SOLDER this.

If you want more... Amazon... http://www.amazon.com/Type-Thermocou.../dp/B005CG2W3U but you will probably need to change the end to match your charger. Again don't solder this as you are creating a cold junction connection that your charger is not anticipating and it will throw you off more than the TwistyThingy.

I am sure some EE's will argue with me so have at it... but all you are doing is putting two dissimular wires together that don't normally play well together. As the heat increases their electrons will just run around in circles faster and faster generating more miliamps which your charger will translate to a temperature.

I did this at work and compared it to an Omega K Type TC probe and it was within a couple tenths C. Close enough for me and my calibration for vertical and horizontal thermal reactor tool calibrations.

Rick
rampman is online now Find More Posts by rampman