HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:27 AM
Joined Oct 2005
195 Posts
Discussion
ESC options for quad. Best choice?

So, some of you I am sure have seen my scare flip video: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1824769

if not check it out. I have no idea what caused this.. but, if it was an ESC then I am wanting to rethink about using them any more. The other thing I was wondering is what is the "BEST" ESC to use? The ones I am using came with the quad from whitspy (Rapid fire) http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/spe...ultirotor.html

But, is this a good one? OR.. is there one that everyone seems to use that is proven to be best?

Also, please watch the above video and let me know your thoughts on that post. Thanks.
Tharr62 is offline Find More Posts by Tharr62
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 01:45 PM
Joined Oct 2005
195 Posts
bump
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:21 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2012
1,428 Posts
For the best ESC's at hobby prices you want

External oscillator
All N-FETS
Ideally no BEC circuit to save weight, but thats not really that important, just use a dedicated BEC

Personally I use the HK BlueSeries or the HK F-x0A series and flash them with SimonK

If you just want the absolute best ESC's money can buy this is probably the one that looks the most promising

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...light=ultraesc
WendoNZ is offline Find More Posts by WendoNZ
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:39 PM
Joined Oct 2005
195 Posts
Interesting. How is this ESC?

Maytech 30amp 400Hz Refresh ESC
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:15 PM
Joined Feb 2011
653 Posts
I've used them in 3 builds with Avroto motors and Quadrino MultiWii controllers. Work fine.

I've got a build in progress with an OpenPilot CC3D that will use these ESCs: http://www.shop.aglhobbiesllc.com/Mo...SC-SimonK.html
jpsabo is offline Find More Posts by jpsabo
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:41 PM
Joined Oct 2005
195 Posts
Thanks jpsabo.. what about simonK? Is this a better option / can the Maytech's do that too? Thoughts on the DJI OPTO 30A?
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:56 PM
Joined Dec 2009
2,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharr62 View Post
Thanks jpsabo.. what about simonK? Is this a better option / can the Maytech's do that too? Thoughts on the DJI OPTO 30A?
Those Maytech work but do not have the multirotor firmware. The 400Hz refresh rate that they claim is more a outdated misleading ad. Those stock Maytechs handle a 400Hz rate coming in.......But not going out. The higher out going refresh rate to the motor is what you want. Those ESCs are a waste of 32 bucks. You can get 30amp ESC from AbuseMark.com or the ones that Jpsabo linked with the SimonK firmware.
NaterPin is online now Find More Posts by NaterPin
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:06 PM
Joined Oct 2005
195 Posts
Does anyone have any recommendations for the Axi motors? I would like to get them, but I am having a hard time finding which one is comparable to my Tiger MT2216-12 800kv. I was hoping someone could confirm before I buy the wrong one.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:56 PM
Joined Feb 2011
653 Posts
Take a look at the Avroto 770 Kv motors. I've been using these with 12 and 11 inch props on hoverthings.com frames and they perform very well.
jpsabo is offline Find More Posts by jpsabo
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:12 AM
United States, NJ, Manville
Joined May 2006
1,578 Posts
If you were building a Heavy lifter I would suggest castle ESCs but that comes down to how much you value your hardware...Castle has multirotor firmware built in..
skizziks is offline Find More Posts by skizziks
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:51 AM
damn you tree!
Foster City, CA
Joined Dec 2005
233 Posts
These work great!

I have flown a couple quads with these esc's now - they are simonk flashed already and are rock solid.

check out RCMC esc's

http://rcmanchild.com/simonk-30a-escs.html

good luck!
roballoba is offline Find More Posts by roballoba
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:39 AM
Joined Oct 2005
195 Posts
Another thing that is really confusing is the simonK frimware. For example, the DJI ESC's dont have this, and they seem to report working well for people? I understand that the SimonK FW offers faster response.. however, not all ESC's can use it / need to use it? In other words, will the system work just fine without this?
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:15 PM
Joined Dec 2009
2,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharr62 View Post
Another thing that is really confusing is the simonK frimware. For example, the DJI ESC's dont have this, and they seem to report working well for people? I understand that the SimonK FW offers faster response.. however, not all ESC's can use it / need to use it? In other words, will the system work just fine without this?
The ESCs will work. But it is like using your stock Jeep tires for offroad mudding compared to a tire made for offroad mudding
NaterPin is online now Find More Posts by NaterPin
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:26 PM
South Africa
Joined Feb 2010
1,129 Posts
Nope i don't think so, i have 30 amp blue series hk esc's using the stock firmware on my quad using pugs acro software on the kk board, and the quad is extreeemely responsive,

That leaves me wondering if i should ever dare flash them to simonk, how much more responsive will it get, heck probably beyond ability, and btw do i need to buy a dongle to update the esc ? I really don't feel like updating it given the very quick response on this machine already however just curious how people are doing it.
Axefly is offline Find More Posts by Axefly
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:26 PM
Joined Oct 2005
195 Posts
Can anyone one here please take a moment and show me the different AXI motor's that I should get that are comparable to the Tiger MT2216-12 800KV's that they will be replacing.

Second, can someone please simply tell me the ESC they are using with AXI motors.

I just want a combo with the AXI motors, something know to work and the timing etc is okay. I have spent over 15hrs search the web for this info.. I would love to place an order today..