SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:38 AM
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Feb 2013
48 Posts
Help!
~Old Fuel~

I have a plane I have not started in about 10 years.. Should I pump the fuel out, and put in new fuel? Or will the fuel be fine because the fuel tank is plastic? Does the fuel go bad in time?
2. The fuel I have is in a 1 gal. Plastic jug, is 10 years old as well; will it be fine? I did store it indoors. The Fuel I have is “Omega 10%” If this helps!! Thank you for all the help if you can...
RCLud is offline Find More Posts by RCLud
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:59 AM
Joined Dec 2011
50 Posts
If the fuel is 10 years old,I'd say dump it out.It will go bad after awhile.
rccsofla is offline Find More Posts by rccsofla
Old Feb 05, 2013, 05:36 AM
Kansas City
Joined Apr 2010
628 Posts
I have several cases of fuel stored in my basement. Some of it is over 10 years old. As long as it isn't exposed to extremes of temperature or sunlight, it will store fine. There is no biological element that will attack glow fuel. I fly mostly gas now, so my glow fuel use is only 3 or 4 gallons a year and there are zero running issues. The fuel is Ritches Brew from Texas.
Lifer is offline Find More Posts by Lifer
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:21 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,897 Posts
Even if the fuel is fine, you should probably pump it out of the tank and check the integrity of your tank stopper, those tend to degrade over time. I just rebuilt a tank that I haven't used in about 10 years and found the stopper was totally wrecked and I had to replace it.
ChillPhatCat is offline Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:25 AM
PRC China (Yes, that far .. )
Joined Feb 2008
62 Posts
that's a long time, i had fuel go bad over about 6 yrs, very hot and hunid though so i guess it depends. I would dump and get new, but that's just me
Flying Bougie is offline Find More Posts by Flying Bougie
Old Feb 05, 2013, 08:27 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,947 Posts
If the fuel has been in a sealed jug it is probably OK. If the fuel has been in the fuel tank of the airplane for 10 years, pump it out and dispose of it. Remove the tank and replace all the internal stuff. It may be just as cheap to replace the tank in it's entirety along with all the fuel lines to the engine.

Ken
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:45 AM
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Feb 2013
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rccsofla View Post
If the fuel is 10 years old,I'd say dump it out.It will go bad after awhile.
Thank for your quick reply, Have a good day..
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:54 AM
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Feb 2013
48 Posts
Thank you all for your quick reply,Ya Ken I will replace the tank... Thank's agin to all for the helpful tip's.... Have a good day..
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:07 PM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
8,364 Posts
As the owner of a Fuel Blending Lab ... I would say - if the engine is not a high performance job and just for general sport flying ... mix the old fuel 1 part to 3 parts fresh fuel and use it. Same goes for all fuels actually.

Clean out tank, check parts ... flush engine and tank with fresh fuel to make sure clear.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:22 PM
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Feb 2013
48 Posts
Thank you all for your help; and fantastic suggestion's.. Have a good evening...
Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:06 PM
United States, FL, Largo
Joined Feb 2006
616 Posts
I have a 3/4 full gallon of Omega 10% that has been in my garage for over 6 years, I live in FL. After reading this thread I thought I would try some of it; I was going to use it to pour on ant hills. So I put my recently flown Saito 45 on the stand, removed it from plane to make way for another engine, and fired it up. I ran a 1/3 of a fuel tank through it. I could not tell that it was not a new jug of fuel. The engine ran fine. My garage sees some serious temperature/humidity extremes as well. In my case, the fuel seems fine, so I now have 3/4 of a gallon of fuel to use. The fuel was not sitting on the concrete floor, it was on a self and still had the red stopper as well as the lid on it.
dmrcflyr2 is online now Find More Posts by dmrcflyr2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Another small 4 stroke
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:36 AM
Joined Feb 2008
346 Posts
The best thing I can recommend is:

1) Take the engine off the plane and put it on a test stand. go through it and get it tuned up where it is reliable with brand new fuel.

2) Get the old fuel out of the fuel tank completely ... that fuel will probably be bad and it's not much fuel to worry about that small tank of fuel. Pump it into a small container ... Not back into the fuel jug, the fuel in the jug may still be good. Maybe use it for cleaning or just discard it.

3) You need to get new fuel to get the engine running properly and establish a reliable engine. That would be the best scenario. That way you rule out fuel issues right off te bat. You get the engine running and tuned properly so it is reliable and easy to start.

4) After the engine is running good, ... you can try a tank of the older jug. if it is good or bad, ... you will know for sure. If it is good you can use it. If it's bad, ... just pump it back out and refill the tank with thr new fuel. The old may be ok for cleaner?

I think the engine is gonna need a flushing anyways. After that long just sitting you may need to take the engine off the plane and go though it. They usually do. If you do it that way ... you can be sure the the engine is running at its best. You really should be going through the entire plane in the same manner. The fuel tank will probably need cleaning. I would be suprised if it didn't. If it does, and you do not clean it, ... it will infect your carbeurator or fuel filter. Once it gets into the system ... you will be cleaning anyway. That's if it doesn't happen while you're flying / crashing? When the engine dies out in flight , ... you will be under a rush to get it back down in one piece. The plane has some shelf time. I think you need to go throught the: Engine, Fuel tank and fuel system completly (including the lines), Airframe, radio system and linkages.
screilly is offline Find More Posts by screilly
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:18 AM
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Feb 2013
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrcflyr2 View Post
I have a 3/4 full gallon of Omega 10% that has been in my garage for over 6 years, I live in FL. After reading this thread I thought I would try some of it; I was going to use it to pour on ant hills. So I put my recently flown Saito 45 on the stand, removed it from plane to make way for another engine, and fired it up. I ran a 1/3 of a fuel tank through it. I could not tell that it was not a new jug of fuel. The engine ran fine. My garage sees some serious temperature/humidity extremes as well. In my case, the fuel seems fine, so I now have 3/4 of a gallon of fuel to use. The fuel was not sitting on the concrete floor, it was on a self and still had the red stopper as well as the lid on it.
The Ant's were lucky that day...... Ya the Gal. of fuel i have is indoor's as well.. Thank you for your feed back....
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:25 AM
United States, MI, Holly
Joined Feb 2013
48 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by screilly View Post
The best thing I can recommend is:

1) Take the engine off the plane and put it on a test stand. go through it and get it tuned up where it is reliable with brand new fuel.

2) Get the old fuel out of the fuel tank completely ... that fuel will probably be bad and it's not much fuel to worry about that small tank of fuel. Pump it into a small container ... Not back into the fuel jug, the fuel in the jug may still be good. Maybe use it for cleaning or just discard it.

3) You need to get new fuel to get the engine running properly and establish a reliable engine. That would be the best scenario. That way you rule out fuel issues right off te bat. You get the engine running and tuned properly so it is reliable and easy to start.

4) After the engine is running good, ... you can try a tank of the older jug. if it is good or bad, ... you will know for sure. If it is good you can use it. If it's bad, ... just pump it back out and refill the tank with thr new fuel. The old may be ok for cleaner?

I think the engine is gonna need a flushing anyways. After that long just sitting you may need to take the engine off the plane and go though it. They usually do. If you do it that way ... you can be sure the the engine is running at its best. You really should be going through the entire plane in the same manner. The fuel tank will probably need cleaning. I would be suprised if it didn't. If it does, and you do not clean it, ... it will infect your carbeurator or fuel filter. Once it gets into the system ... you will be cleaning anyway. That's if it doesn't happen while you're flying / crashing? When the engine dies out in flight , ... you will be under a rush to get it back down in one piece. The plane has some shelf time. I think you need to go throught the: Engine, Fuel tank and fuel system completly (including the lines), Airframe, radio system and linkages.
Yes i agree; I bought a new fuel tank.. Went through the Engine.. The crab was fros up.. So yes i need to go through the Engine... Thank you for your help...