HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:18 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,494 Posts
Build Log
Topgun DAGO rebuild!

Well my old Dago fuse has been sitting in the corner of the room for almost a year now, First wing it had was the old obechi sheeted foam one, that clapped after a year + of hard flying, fuse dropped vertical from 150ft into soft ground, few cracks but she was glued up, a new glass wing fitted and another good year+ was had out of her. Last flight she got caught in a wind gust over a big tree during landing, clipped the treetop which stalled her out and she dropped onto hard ground, wing got too much damage to bother fixing so she was stripped and put away.

I had a spare glass wing sitting in storage that had a bad paintjob, cost me zero bucks so I figured why not repair the old girl and clean up this new wing at the same time.

Its been on and off for a few months but last week decided to get my finger out and get stuck into it, all the gelcoat that had cracked away was chipped out and fresh epoxy used to fill all the areas, epoxy was run inside the fuse around the wing saddle and batt area to stiffen it up, and all the fine cracks in the gelcoat were sealed up with thin CA.

Pics show the fuse with all the repairs done, its pretty smooth, good enough for a primer/filler to be used over it, and I plan to use Acrylic laquer in a spray can, dont want to have to set up and clean up a gun for a small job like this.

The wing pics show it all rubbed back, sanded off all the flaws, lumps and crazing in the paint, leaving a nice solid base to work from.

This was all Saturday Morning!
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:28 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,494 Posts
Now there are a few things I had to do on this fuse during repairs and one of them was the wing saddle. I figure do a write up on it in case others have come across this and wondered how to fix it.

Basically when the wing is bolted on there are nice big gaps on either side of the fuse to wing join as the saddle is badly shaped and was not originally designed to take the glass wing. The wing bolts on front and rear dead centre so there is no issue with the strength, I never had a problem with it, the fuse could however be rocked side to side on the wing due to the gaps, and looked pretty average.

So what I do with this issue is sand the saddle back to remove all the paint and gelcoat, then I cover the wing with masking tape, painters low adhesion tape, then cover the wing saddle fuselage sides with 5min epoxy, a nice thick bead, place the wing down on it and bolt it in place. Then I add more epoxy in either side of the saddle and essentially 'fill' the gaps, wipe it all down with alchohol to remove excess epoxy and let it cure.

Once cured unbolt wing, peel it off the epoxy, it should come free nicely as the masking tape doesnt stick to it, remove tape from wing and you have a fuselage with a perfectly flat even saddle area. The centre of the saddle front and rear of the wing will be missing epoxy so next step is add more epoxy and use a snap off blade to scrape the excess off, useing your new saddle rails as a guide. A couple of goes doing this and you have a perfectly even saddle that the wing sits on 100%.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:34 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,494 Posts
Next up primer, I got some SCA (super cheap auto) acrylic primer filler, this is great stuff, flows really nice, its thick and it goes off quick, 30 mins and it can be wet rubbed safely.

Did two heavy coats on the wing bottom and let it sit for a couple hours while masking up and preparing the fuselage.

Rubbed the wing back with 1500 wet n dry, came up great, flipped it and did another 2 coats on the top. Put it aside and started on the fuse. Photos show the wing primered and ready for painting along with the servo covers and battery hatch.

I built up the repaired areas on the fuse doing coats every 5 mins, it was nice and warm so I was able to really get the primer on there, pretty much filled all the bad areas over the space of a few hours Sunday arvo.

Then I hit a problem! The purple flames down the side of the fuse turn out to be water slide decals! Which decided to lift and bubble from the acrylic primer So I had to scrape the rest of the flames off right up to the tail, and wet sand the whole fuse to smooth and blend the edges back in.

Monday finished jobs off then back to the priming and sanding, got the fuse nice and smooth by mid arvo, ready to paint, and of course stupid me forgot to take photos of the primered fuse didnt I! Wanted to see it in colour so much I missed taking shots.

Anyway photos show it after a coat of red, looks really good considering how it looked before hand!
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:43 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,494 Posts
The red acrylic is not SCA, its another local brand, supposed to be good stuff but seems to have come out more satin than gloss and did not flow out as well as it should, especially considering it was a mildly warm couple of days. Its Monza red and was a decent match to the red film covering the horizontal surfaces.

Fuse was finish painted Monday, has 3 coats on it and thanks to the compound curves the paint flowed out nicely and looks pretty good. Just need to paint in the canopy in black or silver and then think about some graphics.

Wing was painted, 2 coats either side, one side on Sunday and the other on Monday. It did not flow out as well as I hoped and has some orange peel in the surface. If I was using the gun I would wet rub it back with 1500 then mix up a thin pot of paint to do a final wet coat that would flow out much flatter, with a spray can I am a little more limited

Will assemble it up thursday once the paint has had time to harden up a bit, I hate handling freshly painted models as I always seem to find every bloody thing to knock into in the workshop!
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:27 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
Mark, that looks really, really cool. I'm puzzled though.....................where does the EDF go!? LOL.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:42 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,494 Posts
Yeah, its slightly off topic isnt it Gawdam stupid me decided to be cheap and try to use some gunmetal that has been sitting round for about 15 yrs LOL. Masked up the canopy all nice and the rattle can started to spray nicely, thought ok we good to go, went to do a light coat and splatter all over my beautiful finish! Dohhh, had to let it set, rub it all back, then I ran out of red recoating the fuse, so now I need another can of red

So have decided to do the Adventure glider fuse after this one as its pretty boring in white gelcoat with seams showing, should look much nicer in monza red and the can is huge can do 3-4 fuses LOL.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:45 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I'm not concerned with it being off topic. I'm concerned about where you think you think you are gonna stuff an EDF in there. LOL.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:32 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,494 Posts
LOL in all seriousness the Dago fuse is a real pita to fit stuff into, a 2200 3s just stuffs into my old fuse, one reason why I kept it, the newer version is slightly narrower for some idiotic reason and you cannot get a 2200 in!

I run this bird on a 2W23, 40A esc, and 5.25x6.25 APC prop, it pulls 50+A on the bench, but in the air it unloads heaps, I get around 5 mins WOT flight or 7-8 mins fooling round, and nothing gets too hot, does around 150mph like this and climbs like a monkey on steroids
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:19 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I gotta find myself one of these. it looks like a lot of fun just sitting on the table.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:57 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,494 Posts
Ricky from topgun designed it, I got one of the first and flew the guts out of it for over a year till the original foam/obechi wing folded, fuse got only minor cracks.

A company that was commisioned to do the glasswork copied it and started selling under their name, HobbyLobby took it on and then claimed it was a Y2K original and topgun copied it! So Ricky dropped the foam core wing and designed a full glass wing that the other guys couldnt copy. They still sell the old design to HL but Topgun have since released the Shark which is a slightly different fuse design to the Dago, also with the glass wing.

Anyway I replaced my old wing with the new glass one and flew it for another year until the mishap. Then sold it busted to a local guy so he could tranfer all the parts into a Shark, then grabbed the empty fuse back before he binned it as I had a spare wing with a bad paint job sitting in storage they gave me. So the airframe owes me about 50 bucks in materials and paint to restore it, and its looking better than it did in the beginning!

Have done the canopy in fresh black paint, and almost finished the wing fitout, tomorrow morning will epoxy in the last servo and cover and fit the horn then the wing is done, all thats needed is bolt in the motor/esc and set up the electrics, dynamic balance the prop and spinner and she is ready for a maiden!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:44 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,494 Posts
Well here are some pics of the nice clean new Dago! She flies just like before, had to add 20g of lead in the nose as the new wing must be a little lighter than the old, but other than that all is well.

950 grams AUW with 2200 3a 45c pack in the front, so much fun to fly, a good 150mph and vertical is awesome
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:01 AM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
that looks so cool.