Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:38 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,447 Posts
Contest
The February Big Sky invitational soaring contest.

THE February BIG SKY INTERNATIONAL
LONGEST DURATION CONTEST FOR ALL ELECTRIC AND HAND LAUNCHED GLIDERS
THERMAL SOARING AND SLOPE SOARING
RULES AND INFO:
Contest will run from 12:01 am February 1 to 11:59 PM February 28 Eastern US time.
The contest is for ALL electric or hand launched gliders or airplanes of all sizes, all materials and all controls. The contest is intended to help motivate you to develop your thermal and slope soaring skills.
The contest is open to all gliders, e-gliders and, if you like, e-airplanes too. If it glides, it qualifies.
In Thermal Duration, the contest is split into three classifications, 2-meter and under E Gliders, Open class E Gliders and Hand Launch Gliders.
You can post as many times as you like using as many planes as you like, but only one will be counted per pilot per category regardless of what kind of plane you are flying. You can replace a shorter time with a longer time any point during the contest. You can fly as many flights as you like.
Goal - longest duration thermal and slope flights without use of the motor.
THE PLANES:
* Any electric motor system or unpowered hand launch glider. (No winches or Hi-Starts).
* Any wing controls and any wing span
* Any construction
BIG SKY - ELECTRIC THERMAL SOARING
1) From a fresh hand or ground launch you can run the motor for up to 30 seconds, then you turn the motor off and you can not restart it. Reclimbs are not permitted. If you restart the motor the flight time is no good.
2) Motor time starts as soon as you apply throttle. This is an LMR, Limited Motor Run contest with a pretty long motor run allowed so that the motor run itself does not provide much advantage to anyone. Many will choose to shut off the motor in less than 30 seconds. No credit for shorter motor runs.
3) Soaring time starts when the motor goes off. Either you time the whole flight and subtract the motor run or you use two watches, one to time the motor run and one to time the flight. I have multiple timers on my radio so I can do this with my radio alone. How you do this is up to you.
4) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing must be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be on the ground/grass or pavement. Landing in a tree, bush, structure or other elevated spot that would not normally be a landing spot does not count. There are no other rules around the landing.
6) Time stops when the glider comes to a rest. So the clock keeps running if you clip a branch, or go to land and bounce back into the air. When the plane stops, time stops.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch from the ground/hand. No reclimbs permitted.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. You can fly as many days as you like to work toward your best time. The goal is to achieve personal bests in the fun atmosphere of a contest.
BIG SKY - HAND LAUNCH THERMAL SOARING
1) Soaring time starts at release of the plane.
2) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing must be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be hand catch or on the ground/grass or pavement. Landing in a tree, bush, structure or other elevated spot that would not normally be a landing spot does not count. There are no other rules around the landing.
6) Time stops when the glider comes to a rest. So the clock keeps running if you clip a branch, or go to land and bounce back into the air. When the plane stops, time stops.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. You can fly as many days as you like to work toward your best time. The goal is to achieve personal bests in the fun atmosphere of a contest.
BIG SKY - SLOPE SOARING
1) From a fresh hand or ground launch you can run the motor for up to 5 seconds, if you need it to get into the lift. I would expect most slope flights will have no motor run but some sites need a boost to the lift.
2) Motor time starts as soon as you apply throttle and is subtracted from the total flight time.
3) Soaring time starts when the motor goes off. Either you time the whole flight and subtract the motor run or you use two watches, one to time the motor run and one to time the flight. How you do this is up to you.
4) You can time your own flight if you wish. You are on your honor. Time is truncated to the second. No fractions and no rounding. Read the seconds only.
5) Landing has to be within 100 feet of the original launch location or the flight does not count. Landing must be on the same level as the launch. Landing down the slope or up in the trees does not count. You must come to rest in a "normal" landing spot and be able to walk over and pick it up. I realize this can vary by slope site so you are on your honor as to whether this was a normal landing.
7) You can launch as many times as you like but each flight has to be from a fresh launch from the ground or hand. No powered reclimbs permitted. If you restart the motor the flight does not count.
8) Report your best time of the day by posting here. You can post as many times as you like, but only the best one will count. Try as many days as you like to get your best time of the month.
For either contest you report the results via post.
Report Format:
Your Name - Real or RCGroup Name - your choice
Glider/plane name and wingspan:
Thermal, Hand Launch or Slope:
Date and Time of flight:
Duration of flight:
Comments - You are welcome to report anything you like about the day, the flight. Pictures, videos, gps plots, etc are welcome but not required.
I will maintain the thread and keep the second post updated with the top 10 Thermal (2 meter class) top 10 Thermal (Open class)and top ten Slope reports. Only one flight of each type will be recorded in the standings for each pilot. A new better time will replace the original.
THREAD CONTENT -
This thread is for contest reports and for discussion about the contest only.
Contest Records:

2 Meter Class:
Andy Grose (dee-grose)
Glider name:Radian
Thermal or Slope: Thermal
Date and Time of flight:April 19, 2012 11:20am
Duration of flight:1:38:04 (after 30 sec motor run)
Max Altitude: 3028ft AGL

Open Class:
Palo Lishak (aka TENDER in RCGroups)
Glider name: supra Stork electric
Date and Time of flight: October 29th 2011, start of flight 15:50 CET
Duration of flight: 1:45:40 (11 s climb with motor)

Hand Launch:
Marin Rudolph (MMR)
Glider name: Arrow Legend DLG
Date and Time of flight:6/24/12 11:00AM
Duration of flight: 51:43

Slope:
Hunnerbunner
Duration: 2:33:14
Date: 4/26/11
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,447 Posts
Monthly standings.

2 meter:

Palo Lishak (aka Tender)
Glider name: ERG 1939
Date and Time of flight: 025/26/2013 03:30 PM
Duration of flight: 00:38:46 plus 00:00:30 s of motor running time

Gary Learned (AMA69405)
Glider name: Cox Sportavia RF-5
Date and Time of flight: Feb 05, 2013 2:15 pm CST
Duration of flight:10:39 (after 30 sec motor run)

Hand launch:

Martin Rudolph (MMR)
Handlaunch
Glider name: Taboo M (DLG)
Date and Time of flight: 2/14/2013 12:30AM
Duration of flight: 26:35

nigel sheffield
hand launch blaster dlg
thermal
027/02/2013 12:43am
duration 17:04
location yorkshire UK

Slope:

nigel sheffield
hand launch blaster dlg
slope
22/02/2013 8:50am
duration 15:41
location yorkshire UK
Last edited by peterlngh; Feb 28, 2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:43 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,447 Posts
Hi, guys.

Another month is in the books and, as expected, those of us in the Northern Hemisphere haven't had many flying opportunities. But? The worst of winter should be behind us and I have at least been able to fly my 3D ship to get through the poor soaring conditions. This will continue to be somewhat of an open thread as long as no one abuses it or complains so that we can at least talk about flying our sailplanes.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:24 PM
Gary L
Dexter, Kansas
Joined Oct 2009
230 Posts
I'll get us started this month with a rather meager effort, but I was beginning to think that all lift had permanently left the neighborhood, so an 11 minute flight seemed like an hour, to me.

2 Meter Class:
Gary Learned (AMA69405)
Glider name: Cox Sportavia RF-5
Date and Time of flight: Feb 05, 2013 2:15 pm CST
Duration of flight:10:39 (after 30 sec motor run)
Max Altitude: 737 ft AGL

The last decent lift I had found was in early October, when I did a 15 min flight with the Sportavia. I then proceeded to fly 104 consecutive flights of no more than 4 minutes (most of them about 2 minutes) over a 4 month period, before finally finding some sporadic lift this afternoon. (Well, okay... probably more accurate to say... "before sporadically bumping in and out of some good lift this afternoon.")
AMA69405 is offline Find More Posts by AMA69405
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:12 PM
MMR
Martian
Joined Mar 2007
434 Posts
Martin Rudolph (MMR)
Glider name: Taboo M (DLG)
Date and Time of flight: 2/7/2013 11:30AM
Duration of flight: 6:48

Hi guys - snuck out during my lunch break today. Weather for the weekend is iffy, so I just had to get out, although conditions were tough - cold front moving in - any lift I was able to find was moving very quickly and I was way far out and had to come back. This flight actually took 3 thermals to complete - most of the flights today were 2 minutes or so, just couldn't hook up again to keep going.
Was great to get out and fly though

Martin
MMR is online now Find More Posts by MMR
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:24 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,565 Posts
nigel sheffield
hand launch blaster dlg
thermal
09/02/2013 12:08am
duration 10:22
location yorkshire UK

Had an awsome morning, light westerly winds a dn Sun did try to get out but never made it lol. Played for about 3 1/2 hours with lots of 2 -3 min flights and many 5 mins a couple around 6 to 7 mins and this one of 10:22, hoping for more weather like this!
The 7 min flight was the a good one which I climbed up in a thermal to a decent height, no idea how high mind you and not as high as I have been but it's nice to see the glider at anything much above launch height!
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:29 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,447 Posts
I had lovely soaring weather here too yesterday. I didn't try for any official flights because we have light, puffy, snow on the ground that packs my air scoops when I land and I prefer dry electronics. I did still manage a flight of over an hour with only three climbs though. At least I'm getting out to fly enough that I'm not climbing the walls.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 10:49 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,447 Posts
Hi, nigel. I had a chance to try a 10X6 folding prop on the HK 2834. I get a little over 10,000RPM with 380watts and a bit over 30 amps. The one in my Yak is handling the 11X4.7 slo-fly prop well. I rarely use over half throttle, even when hovering, and the motor is running fairly cool. It's hard to match that power to weight ratio at any price much less $17.00. I think they are a heck of a deal even if the longevity is cut short and I have to replace them every year or so. I wouldn't hesitate to use this little powerhouse on a glider up to 2.5meters and 2000grams or a 3D plane up to 1000grams.

Now it's just a question of which plane on my wish list is back in stock first. I'm kind of leaning towards a new 3D plane because I've reached the limits of my EPP Yak. It's fun for just jamming the sticks in the corners and watching the weird gyrations but foam just doesn't hack precision maneuvers.

Cheers!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:48 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,565 Posts
Thanks Peter, that really sounds like a great little motor, and will go on my next order whenever that may be.
Good to hear you got out and did some soaring and an hour from 3 climb outs is REALLY good going, I really enjoyed yesterdays flying, Mark was flying his new blaster dlg too and we were competing a bit for flight times and doing some formation flying lol, 3 min flights were coming thick and fast and anything less then 2 mins was disappointing. Its raining this morn and I have a sore finger on my throwing hand, not surprising really, went out at about 8am till 11am and then again from 11:45 till 13:40 and then again at 3pm till about 4:40pm.
Love this dlg,

Regards your new plane hobby king do a dlg now http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...lider_Kit.html lol.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:38 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,447 Posts
Yep. The "Versus" is on my wish list although there are some kits that need the wing glassed that are also intriguing and have better specs.

It was really great conditions for soaring the other day. There's a 8 lane freeway that runs parallel to my field and when there's good sunlight and the wind is from the right direction i can fly the line of thermals as though it was a slope. It's kinda weird that after spending decades roaming the countryside searching for good soaring spots I have found perhaps the best place I've found within walking distance of my home. I just throw my stuff in a fabric shopping bag with the glider in it's box. There are even electrical sockets and, during summer months, bathrooms and drinking fountains so it's no hardship to kill an entire day. I do, however, have to come up with a backpack for one of the planes so that I can bring both the glider and the 3D ship. And, being around a half-mile each way, it's a pleasant walk that's long enough to help keep excess weight off. Throw in the picnic tables and bleachers that provide raised work surfaces and it's pretty darned hard to beat. The only drawback is that there are soccer goals all over during the summer and they seem to have a strange magnetic pull on foam and balsa.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:58 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,565 Posts
nigel sheffield
hand launch blaster dlg
slope
11/02/2013 9:18am
duration 7:18
location yorkshire UK

Winds gusting from 15 to 30mph this morn up hill so I had one flight b4 my hands froze lol.
Blaster would have stayed up all day but it was very dodgy and cold so I called it a day and came home to defrost!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:26 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,565 Posts
nigel sheffield
hand launch blaster dlg
slope
11/02/2013 4:20pm
duration 10:22
location yorkshire UK

Couldn't resist another go, similar conditions as above but not QUITE as cold so managed a few more minutes, again the blaster would have stayed up for as long as I wanted but hands got too cold.
Tomorrow is predicted to be less windy but still from the west, hope they are right!

Slope soaring even on that little hill is very exciting and come the warmer weather I will get the car of the missus and go find some really big hills!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:21 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,565 Posts
nigel sheffield
hand launch blaster dlg
slope
12/02/2013 11:40am
duration 12:32
location yorkshire UK

lighter winds today coming up hill as promised, perfect for sloping my little hill, very cold still though, managed to stay out for 40 mins at a time b4 needing to come home.
Shorted flight was over 3 mins, did a 9 min right after the 12, and a few 5 mins.
Will go out again shortly as the wind seems to have calmed a bit more so might not get so cold!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:39 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,565 Posts
Had a couple of 3 min flights in the wind, the wind then dropped off and so it was back to thermal hunting, managed a few around 3 mins and then found a fairly good one and climbed it to a decent height but had to bail as was getting too far away over the houses for comfort, searched around on the way down but nothing about so ended with a time of 8:32, not a record but was fun and it's nice to see some thermals forming now.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:02 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,565 Posts
Had another 9 min slope around 4:30pm, mark was down with his blaster and he managed a 5 min slope flight after watching me, to keep flying the slope you have to be brave and be prepared to fly low, often down the hill near the bottom when the lift drops off and then work yr way back up, b4 he was giving up too soon, trouble is then of course you dont always get back up the hill and have to go for a short walk! The difference in the cog was quite obvious too with his losing more height/momentum in the turns due to the need to use more up elev in the tight turns needed at either end of slope.