Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:51 PM
United States, OR, Tigard
Joined Dec 2012
90 Posts
Build Log
My First Build - Axon - Maiden w/ Crash! (Video)

I've been waiting months to move into our first house and we are finally settled enough that I got to start working on my first scratch build! I have all the foam pieces done, I just need to fit and install hardware and electronics. I'm so excited to get out and fly it for the first time!

Experimental Airlines Dollar Tree Axon:

And my new workbench area! It's kind of a mess but after living in an apartment for the last 10 years I love the amount of space I have!!

I seriously can't wait to get it up in the air for the first time. Hopefully she fly's true! I'll update once I have all the hardware on it.

Update 2-10-13:

The maiden flight has been done! The first flight did end in a crash though. The spar that runs through the wing broke due to a loop I was trying to perform. (Might have got a little gungho for the first flight, plus I had a ton of people there egging me on) The crash really wasn't that bad though. I went in replaced the spar, retaped the battery holder down, and fixed one aileron that came undone. Could of been much worse. Just so you all know also, the only real RC plane I have flown was a super old Cox EZbee.
Cox EZ Bee II (3 min 35 sec)
(We were trying to be really cheezy) My buddy and I crashed that about 2 years ago. I have been practicing a ton on the simulator and it really paid off on the second and third flight. The plane fly's like a dream! If you have an critiques of my flying please let me know! I'm teaching myself as I go, so I could use the help.

Experimental Airlines Axon Maiden - Crash after loop (0 min 58 sec)

After some reinforcements and adjustments we are back for round 2! Everything went much better this time around. The plane flies like a dream! Great slow flight characteristics and fun aerobatics. It rolls like a champ! Another video of mine shows more flight.

Experimental Airlines Axon Maiden #2! (1 min 7 sec)

Experimental Airlines Axon Maiden #2! (0 min 0 sec)

Update 2-15-13

RC Plane Crash - Axon Crash #2 - Aftermath (0 min 0 sec)
jhiggy is offline Find More Posts by jhiggy
Last edited by jhiggy; Feb 15, 2013 at 07:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:51 PM
Build, Launch, Crash, Repeat
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jan 2013
79 Posts
Looks nice, My kids and I are going to build that one together. Good luck on your maiden flight, and congrats on the house
Partyof5 is offline Find More Posts by Partyof5
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:46 AM
United States, MN, Shoreview
Joined Aug 2012
133 Posts
looks very nice. Good luck in the air.
I hear you about the space. I live in a apt now. I really miss my old work shop.
Keep us updated on your progress.
psychedvike is offline Find More Posts by psychedvike
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:40 AM
Joined Dec 2012
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyof5 View Post
Looks nice, My kids and I are going to build that one together. Good luck on your maiden flight, and congrats on the house
Thanks! If you have any questions when you get to building it feel free to ask. I'm sure I had a lot of the same ones when I was putting it together.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:42 AM
Joined Dec 2012
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychedvike View Post
looks very nice. Good luck in the air.
I hear you about the space. I live in a apt now. I really miss my old work shop.
Keep us updated on your progress.
Thanks will do!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:29 PM
Joined Dec 2012
90 Posts
Updated for Maiden with Videos!
Old Feb 10, 2013, 09:57 PM
some call me macgyver....
United States, OK, Shawnee
Joined Feb 2012
726 Posts
I just built my first one too check it out. Still have work to do before maiden. By the way I like ur looks sharp.
bethelflier8036 is offline Find More Posts by bethelflier8036
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: my son is cancer free
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:00 PM
Joined Feb 2012
726 Posts
How did u end up doin ur motor mount. I have some aluminum I was going to build one
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:01 PM
Joined Dec 2012
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelflier8036 View Post
I just built my first one too check it out. Still have work to do before maiden. By the way I like ur looks sharp.
Nice! Installing the electronics was both fun and frustrating! I had the hardest time with the motor mount.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:02 PM
Joined Dec 2012
90 Posts
Quote:
How did u end up doin ur motor mount. I have some aluminum I was going to build one
I used some tin from an old BBQ. I honestly really struggled with it. I used two peices of it and laminated it together with a little difference in angle in the corner to keep it strong. I seemed to work out pretty good. I also had to reinforce it with a dowel to keep the flex down after my first crash. I'll post pics.

Update:

It's not the prettiest, but it worked pretty good. I honestly didn't know what else to do..? The dowel was a field repair, so it doesn't look the best. =P

Last edited by jhiggy; Feb 10, 2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 10:54 PM
Joined Feb 2012
726 Posts
Kool what motor and esc?? I'm using a 2830 2200kv 635w motor and a 60amp esc. With a 4s2200 battery
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:04 PM
Joined Dec 2012
90 Posts
Quote:
Kool what motor and esc?? I'm using a 2830 2200kv 635w motor and a 60amp esc. With a 4s2200 battery
2826 2200kv and 30 amp esc, 3s 2200.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:34 PM
Joined Feb 2012
726 Posts
R u goin to strap some fpv gear to this plane
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:48 PM
Joined Dec 2012
90 Posts
Probably not FPV, but I do have a Gopro that would be fun! I had to put a counterweight in the nose of it because it was tailheavy, so I need to do something!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:16 PM
Joined Feb 2012
726 Posts
Awesome I'm a fpv guy thats why I built this. I'm going to start doing really low stuff and don't want to mess my long range gear up. If I crash in the process. Lol
RCG Plus Member