HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:56 PM
United States, AK, Ketchikan
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Discussion
The Gun Owners Thread -- No politics!!

It seems like we have a couple new gun control themed threads starting every week, so there are plenty of places on LTUP to discuss that. What I would like is a spot that the gun owners here can discuss anything and everything about firearms, target shooting, hunting, etc. but please, lets try to avoid any 2nd Amendment or gun control discussions.

I'm a new gun owner myself. I've had a .22 bolt rifle my Grandpa gave me years ago, but I haven't shot it much since it's a single shot rifle, so it's sort of annoying to shoot. This Christmas my wife gave me a Taurus 24/7 G2, which I put about 500 or so rounds through before the striker pin wouldn't fire. The local shop let me trade it in at full credit towards another gun, so I picked up the M&P 9c, which I only have a hundred or so rounds through right now, but so far I really like it. I'm hoping to get out once every week or two for practice, because based on some videos I've seen on YouTube, I have a ways to go, LOL. I'm paying for my wife to take the NRA Basic Pistol Course this weekend, and I'm hoping to take it soon too.

I'd like to pick up a semi-auto shotgun and an AR type rifle over the next year or so. I shot trap once with my grandfather back when I was 14 and had a great time, and I'd like to get back into that, or skeet, or sporting clays. I've thought it might be fun to try duck hunting.

Anyone been able to find magazines? Looking for a couple spares, plus recommendations on a good holster.
bdshort is offline Find More Posts by bdshort
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:03 PM
St. Boondock
Joined Aug 2008
731 Posts
I really like the Crossbread holsters. They are Kydex and leather.

http://crossbreedholsters.com/
FL Knifemaker is offline Find More Posts by FL Knifemaker
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:17 PM
Gill, MA
Joined Apr 2006
213 Posts
On a list for S&W Shield 9. Have a deposit down so just a matter when they start shipping. Thinking about a 10/22. Like to keep it stock but add a scope and bipod.
When ever I see some ammo I can use, I'll get some. There are times you have to be there when it comes in or you don't get any. We can only use shotguns, Black powder, or archery for deer here in MA. I try to get out for the three seasons.

Greg
deerdad is offline Find More Posts by deerdad
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:18 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
I've been looking at the Galco Summer Comfort due to good reviews and it's cheaper price than other fit IWB holsters, but I haven't settled on anything yet. I'd like to take some sort of CCW class before I decide if I really want to carry, even though it's not required in Alaska. Right now I'm just bringing it to the range in its case.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:20 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerdad View Post
On a list for S&W Shield 9. Have a deposit down so just a matter when they start shipping. Thinking about a 10/22. Like to keep it stock but add a scope and bipod.
When ever I see some ammo I can use, I'll get some. There are times you have to be there when it comes in or you don't get any. We can only use shotguns, Black powder, or archery for deer here in MA. I try to get out for the three seasons.

Greg
A friend has the Shield. Nice little gun but it feels too small in my hand. The compact fits like a glove!

The ammo situation here for 9mm isn't too bad yet, as one store has been selling boxes of 50 for $17.99 and has had some coupons that make it $15 or so. I'm hoping Wal-Mart gets the yellow box stuff in stock soon, but we'll see.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:21 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
99 Posts
Single shots aren't fun to shoot? Horse puckey, most of my shooting is one round at a time.

I have more fun trying to put that bullet in to a sub-MOA ring at ranges I never dreamed possible only several years ago. The physics of it all just amazes me.

As far as holsters, you have got to be more specific. There are so many. I like positive retention (locks the gun in) on anything open carry, not so much for concealed.
I can also tell you that the blackhawk serpa is #1 for people who like to shoot themselves in the leg.
Craig Downer is offline Find More Posts by Craig Downer
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:24 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdshort View Post

I've had a .22 bolt rifle my Grandpa gave me years ago, but I haven't shot it much since it's a single shot rifle, so it's sort of annoying to shoot.
You might consider it annoying, but that single shot 22 will teach the most important shooting lesson of all; accuracy is the only thing that counts.
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:24 PM
Gill, MA
Joined Apr 2006
213 Posts
I have smaller hands. Just not as small as the guy in the Burger King commercial.

Greg
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:30 PM
Gill, MA
Joined Apr 2006
213 Posts
Yeah if you want to shoot cheap and all day, the 22 single is the way to go.
We could buy a brick and spend some good time trying to hit pennys at 25-30 yrds taped to cardboard with open sights. It was easy to lose track of time and most of the day was gone.

Greg
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:31 PM
Beaumont ,peoples republic of Kalifornia
Joined Jan 2004
288 Posts
Bolt action 22 target
Berreta 22 target
Ruger single six 22
Iver Johnson 22
TC Contender with 14" 22/357max/44mag / 223 barrels
12ga mossberg
Have a Ruger 10/22 on order, then plan on upgrading to a nice target barrel
When the hoarders calm down want a 9mm pistol, probably something from ruger
Will take time for the manufactures to catch up.
Fly stuff ,shoot target, repeat
debogus is online now Find More Posts by debogus
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:36 PM
Watts is life...
Bot's like to know where you live
Joined Sep 2003
2,867 Posts
There are many forums out there... this S&W one is very good:
http://smith-wessonforum.com/

Finding mags at this time is a real challenge. You'll need to sign up for email alerts...
This is a good place to start:
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?newcat...ensionid=15068

Holster, well that's a whole nutter of a story
IWB, or OWD, or Leather, or Plastic.... etc...

Blade-Tech is good Safariland is good, and MANY more...
rcjetpilot is offline Find More Posts by rcjetpilot
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2013, 09:37 PM
Gill, MA
Joined Apr 2006
213 Posts
Waiting to fly again. Have the HK Memphis Belle ready to go.
Don't like flying or shooting when you cant keep warm.

Greg
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:03 PM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
With the other guys on the single shot. They are great for getting you focused on accuracy instead of taking the spray and pray technique. Perfect for a little friendly long distance plinking contest.
Real Ira is online now Find More Posts by Real Ira
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:07 PM
"Marcy" VF-A
Marysville, WA
Joined Jul 2004
193 Posts
A semi auto shotgun is fine for 5 stand, but a nice over and under is better suited for clays, if you're shooting at a formal setting like your local range. The semi auto will scatter the ejected shells, and anoy the person next to you. A cheap pump gun will work too if you want to try shooting clays to see if you like it.
wekenav8r is offline Find More Posts by wekenav8r
Old Feb 04, 2013, 10:26 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
99 Posts
.22s turn shooters in to marksmen.
Craig Downer is offline Find More Posts by Craig Downer
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)