SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:59 PM
Joined Oct 2005
195 Posts
Thanks Olivier. This makes more sense. Perhaps one motor went down ** do you think this was due to the motor or the ESC? ** then the quad fell, and then recovered.

The failsafe was programmed at 50 - 70% throttle. So, I dont think it ever went to FS at all. Otherwise the naza would have kicked in FS and RTH, and I would be locked out of control?

To be honest, I am starting to think about using a different frame anyway. This time, I will build it myself (not to say the HT-FPV that Paul did was bad or anything), but just to have that experience. In the transfer of parts I will be looking for a different ESC, and also new motors just to play it safe..

The search for a new frame has already started. I kinda like the looks of the TBS Disco frame.
Tharr62 is offline Find More Posts by Tharr62
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 02:38 PM
United States, MI, Rochester Hills
Joined Aug 2012
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharr62 View Post
The failsafe was programmed at 50 - 70% throttle. So, I dont think it ever went to FS at all. Otherwise the naza would have kicked in FS and RTH, and I would be locked out of control?
I often see people wasting time with programming certain throttle, Ail, Elev possitions for a Failsafe in Naza and I think it's a waste of time, unless your Rx only has a FS on first 4 channels.
If your Rx supports FS on all channel, the way to go is programming just the mode channel (usually Ch5) to enter the FS area whenever it looses Tx connectiom, you don't need to mess with other channels cause as soon as the Naza gets the FS condition under Mode Ch, it will go into failsafe disregarding any other input on the other channels.
Anyway if you cannot program ch5 to FS, a thr of 50-70 doesn't make sense to me, you really want it to come down, the sooner the better, if possible at a reasonable vert speed. I had the bad luck to have something screwed up in my hexa one time and 5 minutes watching my hexa hovering at 100ft high was a horrible waiting time... while the wind was dragging it everywhere all around.
edugimeno is offline Find More Posts by edugimeno
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:21 PM
Joined Oct 2005
195 Posts
I use a JR rx and to use fail safe per the instructions on bind I simply place the tx sticks and switches where I want it to go during fail safe. This includes flipping the switch that tells naza to RTH. It works perfect as if tested it many times by turning off the tx during flight.

I don't think what we see in the video has anything to do with fail safe anyway.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:22 PM
Joined Oct 2005
195 Posts
Olivier, what do you guess as to why power / motor was lost?
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:09 PM
Since 1902. Maybe.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,847 Posts
I wish I knew, be assured I would tell you
Olivier_C is offline Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Last edited by Olivier_C; Feb 05, 2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:47 PM
Joined Oct 2012
12 Posts
i guess it will be a good idea to re-solder the connectors

What about re-soldering?

i had a similar event (1:10)
movie 10 (1 min 31 sec)

in my case, it was the crappy bullets connectors, i soldered them and
it never happen again. in your case you said that you soldered them directly,
so surely it's not the bullets issue but you may want to re-solder anyway just to make sure.
iChen78 is offline Find More Posts by iChen78
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:51 PM
Manchester, UK
Joined Sep 2008
64 Posts
It sounds and looks to me like one motor developed a bearing problem that cleared itself, have you check motor bearing see if they all feel smooth.
a9amg is offline Find More Posts by a9amg
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:06 PM
Joined Oct 2005
195 Posts
Yes, they all feel perfectly smooth.

Let me ask out of frustration. What IS the BEST (money no issue) motor, and ESC combo for me to use with Naza? I mean, something that is going to really be perfect right out of the gate, and not have to tinker around and worry about this stuff. Now, I know there is always the risk for failure no matter what.. but, I can't help but feel I am using sub par equipment. Especially the ESC's.

I have thousands wrapped up as it is with all the gear, radio, batts, charger,, etc..etc.. another few hundred or even more to get something that is really nice only makes sense.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:10 PM
Mexico, JAL, Guadalajara
Joined Mar 2012
425 Posts
A "cold Solder" could be the problem... Also what frequencies are you using?...

2.4 for RC JR

what about fpv?... where are your gps module mounted?..

I have read crashes where the fpv gear was conflicting with equipment, in most cases frequencies like 1.2-1.3 ghz with 2.4ghz is a problem if your are not using filters and procure nice placement of all gear...

JR and their satetlite RX's stuff well... I don't trust them, to many threads about how they love to make funny stuff, brownouts.

hope you can find the problem, let us know...

cheers!!
jocheluich is online now Find More Posts by jocheluich
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:29 PM
Joined Oct 2005
195 Posts
Yeah, thats the problem.. I dont think its possible to find out what happened. Everyone has good ideas.. but, who knows for sure. Unfortunately for me, and the way I process things like this is that I will not fly it again without changing something. I just can't risk it.

So, I was on the fence anyway about a new frame (TBS Disco) and that has been ordered. I want different ESC's anyway so I will figure out some that are good (any thoughts on the best ones? I hate the idea of bullet connectors and prefer to inline solder the motor wires) Then, the rx well.. some say UHF is best.. I dont know. I really dont have plans to do "long range" but, I do seem to be around 300 - 600meters.. so maybe this is pushing the limits of my 2.4 radio. I am using 5.8 vtx.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:30 AM
Joined Nov 2012
198 Posts
I can hear some crackling noise when the flip happens... maybe that ESC was giving wrong timing to motor...

Do you use ESC's with SimonK firmware?
alfi666 is offline Find More Posts by alfi666
Old Feb 06, 2013, 02:47 AM
kkj
Joined Aug 2004
44 Posts
Try changing that esc and see how it goes...
kkj is offline Find More Posts by kkj
Old Feb 06, 2013, 03:30 AM
Since 1902. Maybe.
France, RA, Grenoble
Joined Dec 2004
2,847 Posts
What about DJI motors and DJI ESCs ?

I know people usually like to bash the official stuff, but hell look at these forums, filled with "HK ESC flashing", "bad timing", "patch with firmware x.y.z", "calibration issues", etc
And we don't see many complaints about the DJI parts, you plug it and it works, tada.
Just the shaft diameter thats a bit unusual...
Olivier_C is offline Find More Posts by Olivier_C
Last edited by Olivier_C; Feb 06, 2013 at 03:42 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:07 AM
Joined Dec 2006
213 Posts
Hi Tharr62,

That problem may be the same as mine. After spending a week to discover what was going on. Finally, I found out that my motor is losing sync/timing with my esc running on SimonK code when I release the stick too fast.
To test, just hover your quad as low as possible for reducing the damage (Try this with your own risk, I'm not responsible to any damage of your rig. Sorry to say that). Pull the aileron (or elevator/rudder) stick about 20% or 30%, then release it (the stick will freely bouncing few times before returning to the center). If your quad is flipped over immediately, you will find out the problem. It not, there may be something else, I don't know.

To solve the problem if your quad is flipped over with the test above, just reflash your esc with wii-esc firmware. I had done it with my quad and now It is very stable. No longer flip over when I release the stick too fast.
tuongnhu is offline Find More Posts by tuongnhu
Last edited by tuongnhu; Feb 06, 2013 at 05:23 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 04:55 AM
usual old know-it-all
Blackpool,U.K.
Joined May 2005
1,315 Posts
i would say it was a slow failsafe on the rx,i fly/flew same radio and it can sometimes take a good second or 2 to enter preset failsafe..yours probably reacted slow then decided to go back to normal control..these TX/RX only really meant for LOS flying..
range only good for about 7-800yds with mine.even worse behind trees and buildings
UHF the way to go,which is the way i went..
brodjack is offline Find More Posts by brodjack