HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:14 PM
ChrisMohrSr
Homeland, CA
Joined Nov 2009
76 Posts
Question
What Does It Take To Charge It?

This morning I successfully charged my MG Power 11.1v 2200mAh 15C Li Po battery on my Thunder Dual Power AC 680 digital balance charger.

I thought I would check it out and I connected it to my Walkera GA005 balance charger whereupon it charged for another half an hour before the little blinking red light turned green, verifying a complete charge.

My question is . . . . does this indicate a defect in my Thunder Charger or a defect in my Walkera charger or . . . . what?

Thanks to anyone who can explain this occurrence.
ChrisMohrSr is offline Find More Posts by ChrisMohrSr
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 03:34 PM
Joined Feb 2008
2,787 Posts
How many mah were put in during each charge? What were the voltages at the start and end of each charge? Nothing was said about how the first charger was set, so it could be almost anything so far.
Dave H. is offline Find More Posts by Dave H.
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:39 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,768 Posts
Probably it just indicates that if you keep trying to balance charge a fully charged battery many chargers will take quite a while to decide that it really is full and completely balanced. Some cheaper balance charger will actually have bled away some of the original charge before they finally decide.

That's why you check if a charger has done its job by measuring the battery voltage not by trying to charge the battery again .

Steve
slipstick is online now Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Feb 05, 2013, 07:05 PM
ChrisMohrSr
Homeland, CA
Joined Nov 2009
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H. View Post
How many mah were put in during each charge? What were the voltages at the start and end of each charge? Nothing was said about how the first charger was set, so it could be almost anything so far.
Most of this data are unobtainable because the Walkera charger is one of those small, almost faceless units that only have a blinking red light.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 11:09 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,894 Posts
I would not trust any charger that only has a blinking light to indicate charge state. If you don't trust the AC680 then get a good voltage tester to verify the pack.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:08 PM
ChrisMohrSr
Homeland, CA
Joined Nov 2009
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
Probably it just indicates that if you keep trying to balance charge a fully charged battery many chargers will take quite a while to decide that it really is full and completely balanced. Some cheaper balance charger will actually have bled away some of the original charge before they finally decide.

That's why you check if a charger has done its job by measuring the battery voltage not by trying to charge the battery again .

Steve
Thanks Steve. What you say makes sense.
Maybe you can help me with another situation. I have a Walkera UFO 5# with camera that was mostly destroyed in a crash. However, the camera remained intact. I would like to install that camera on another quad, but when it is installed on the UFO 5# it is turned on and off by my Devo 7 TX. If I install it on another quad and supply the 5 volts power, will it simply just remain turned on?

I will greatly appreciate any step by step instructions for installing this camera on another quadrocopter.

ChrisMohrSr
Old Feb 15, 2013, 12:29 PM
United States, TX
Joined May 2009
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
I would not trust any charger that only has a blinking light to indicate charge state. If you don't trust the AC680 then get a good voltage tester to verify the pack.

Glen
X2 and you need a readout from the charger on each cells voltage to make sure none rise above 4.2V. I also never charge a LIPO wothout a temperature probe taped to the LIPO. Hi temp cutoff is set for 105F to 110F (40C to 43C).

Vince
302 Z28 is offline Find More Posts by 302 Z28