HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:23 PM
Joined Apr 2012
96 Posts
Have fait

1. Be ause you shared I probably won't be flying even my MCX2 in the family room with the kids. Because even though i am watching it... They Aren't. And everyone should have some respect for the head speed of CP helis. The difference is just WOW.

2. The body, even the eyes, is absolutely AMAZING in how it can heal itself. Like your doctor said. Your eye is probably healing itself and not so much concerned about how your vision is right now. It will probably ( we both hope ) start to clear up when your body is done repairing itself.

Best wishes!

I still laugh at myself for checking every damn screw in that head assembly and never thought about those 2 screws in the feathering shaft! Learn Once my friend .
PCaola is offline Find More Posts by PCaola
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:03 AM
Joined Dec 2012
14 Posts
Thanks for sharing your accident with us, it is very important to keep alert while flying and keep safety in mind to avoid these accidents. I have had a bite from my V120D02S flying inside and it came towards me and my hand moved to block my head and the main blade hit the end of my index finger and put a big split my nail about a 1cm long, I was quite suprised how hard it hit, definitly made me stop and think and use alot more caution in the future. I hope your eye heals well
nofxnz is offline Find More Posts by nofxnz
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:15 AM
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Jan 2013
152 Posts
Wow. That sucks. Always take care of the eyes and use safety glasses. You can get a cheap pair that look like sunglasses in different tint levels at most hardware stores.

I had a hot water heater blow on me once that almost left me blind. I couldn't get turned around fast enough once I realized what was about to happen. I ended up with the ophthalmologist picking metal and dirt out of my left eye. The pain was horrendous. Took a good 2 months to see 100% again. I have a rare eye disease also, so it's imperative that I keep my eyes safe and healthy. Stupid me for not wearing my glasses or safety glasses!

Be safe and get well!!
SysCrusher is online now Find More Posts by SysCrusher
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:35 AM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
738 Posts
I actually always do wear sunglasses when flying but only outside, inside they are usually parked on my head which is where they were this time. I went back afterwards to search for them, they were on the ground with a cracked lens. New raybans, cost more than the nano.

wow, lots of eye injuries here, more than I would have expected! Interesting it took you 2 months to get your vision back, I've been reading online about people with corneal abrasions and almost everybody took 6 to 8 weeks to see again even though the eye healed in a few days. It looks like at this rate that's going to be the case here too.
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:23 PM
Joined Jan 2013
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawi View Post
I actually always do wear sunglasses when flying but only outside, inside they are usually parked on my head which is where they were this time. I went back afterwards to search for them, they were on the ground with a cracked lens. New raybans, cost more than the nano.

wow, lots of eye injuries here, more than I would have expected! Interesting it took you 2 months to get your vision back, I've been reading online about people with corneal abrasions and almost everybody took 6 to 8 weeks to see again even though the eye healed in a few days. It looks like at this rate that's going to be the case here too.
It'll take about that long. Use the eye drops like they tell you to do. I had three different sets of eye drops. One antibiotic, one steroid and one for slight pain. They recommended regular eye drops for dry eyes which I used religiously. Don't let the eye get dry.

Don't worry about the shades. Your eyes are worth more than a set of raybans.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:48 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
738 Posts
Yeah I have 4 different drops and an ointment. I use them them as directed. The shades are nowhere near my priority list, I only mentioned them because glasses were brought up, but it did suck that they broke because I found the glare from daylight intolerable after the injury, and the side that broke was for the good eye, oddly enough I couldn't even adjust my good eye to the light. Even now it's hard to go outside, it seems forever before I can open them fully. I had to wear my wife's glasses in the car which resemble some sort of moon goggles, huge things that take up a 3rd of your face.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:05 PM
Joined Jan 2013
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawi View Post
Yeah I have 4 different drops and an ointment. I use them them as directed. The shades are nowhere near my priority list, I only mentioned them because glasses were brought up, but it did suck that they broke because I found the glare from daylight intolerable after the injury, and the side that broke was for the good eye, oddly enough I couldn't even adjust my good eye to the light. Even now it's hard to go outside, it seems forever before I can open them fully. I had to wear my wife's glasses in the car which resemble some sort of moon goggles, huge things that take up a 3rd of your face.
I have a set of those also ever since my injury. I forgot about the light being a problem. That bothered me also. Hang in there, it'll get better even though it'll seem like forever.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:37 PM
Joined Dec 2010
211 Posts
Guys... The two areas you should protect when flying helis are your neck (jugular veins/carotid arteries) and eyes. Those are the two danger spots. You should always wear safety goggles when possible. But, protect the neck is a different matter. I don't play hockey, but I wonder if there is a guard for neck...
gettinglucky is offline Find More Posts by gettinglucky
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:35 AM
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2012
158 Posts
Thanks so much for sharing. I think it was the second day of flying a coaxial when I suddenly remembered all the safety training I had working at a manufacturing plant years before and wondered "hmm shouldn't people be wearing safety glasses when flying these things". Did a google search, promptly forgot about it, months later moved on to CP and until fairly recently doing silly things like flying at eye level less than 4 feet away.

Is it OK to sticky this thread?
sparkyjohn is offline Find More Posts by sparkyjohn
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:36 AM
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Jan 2012
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinglucky View Post
Guys... The two areas you should protect when flying helis are your neck (jugular veins/carotid arteries) and eyes. Those are the two danger spots. You should always wear safety goggles when possible. But, protect the neck is a different matter. I don't play hockey, but I wonder if there is a guard for neck...
So true, an experienced pilot l died several years ago on a RC flying field in Houston. Its scary, but even a micro can inflict very serious injury.
bobfa is offline Find More Posts by bobfa
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:14 PM
Joined Oct 2008
46 Posts
Same thing for pets. I've seen people chasing their cats with micros. Looks and seems like a fun idea until...
greper is offline Find More Posts by greper
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:44 PM
Cookiemonster
United States, NM, Farmington
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Here is another eye injury just posted on liveleak http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=464_1360969868
gcarey01 is offline Find More Posts by gcarey01
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:40 PM
Team of ONE....or...Team Me
Reno, Nevada
Joined Oct 2006
780 Posts
Ouch, that one is going to take some time to heal. I wonder what sized heli he was flying?
DeadTom is offline Find More Posts by DeadTom
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:57 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,787 Posts
ooh ive seen that before, nasty. I'd assume that had to be at least a 300 size, probably 450.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:31 PM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
738 Posts
Oh wow! The pain that guy must have gone through must be just incredible. before my eye injury I would have said that sucks. Now I look at that and I feel sick thinking about it.