SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:29 AM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,226 Posts
Here's to a speedy recovery! One lesson learned might be that it isn't a good idea to fly a model behind you, or over you for that matter...
elan is offline Find More Posts by elan
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:01 AM
Never stop being a kid.
United States, CO, Manitou Springs
Joined Jan 2012
543 Posts
Yikes! Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery to the OP, and many thanks for the horrifying safety lesson.

I just started flying an mCPX; my first heli. I am old enough to know better, but have not been wearing eye protection other than the incidental use of sunglasses outdoors, though I've thought about it several times. I've looked at safety glasses online, but not yet purchased any. I have some old shooting glasses for use with power tools, but they're old, beat-up, and uncomfortable, and I haven't bothered to get them out of the garage.

Last September, I hit a cow on my motorcycle at speed. The cow was killed, and the bike was a total loss. I got away with a mild concussion, a bruise on my forearm, and a scrape on the knuckle of one finger. I was wearing good gear from head to toe.

Safety gear works. Yes, the time and money you spend buying it, using it, keeping track of it, maintaining it, and replacing it when it wears out can be a pita, but it's worth it if you ever need it.

And for as long as you don't need it, you can count yourself lucky, talented, smart, and maybe even stylish, and bask in a certain sense of smug satisfaction every time you read a story like this.

Thanks to this thread, I will be joining the ranks of the smug, safety-glasses-wearing RC crowd forthwith!
BrundleFlyBy is offline Find More Posts by BrundleFlyBy
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:49 PM
Happy Holidays
Joined Jan 2013
1,043 Posts
I hit myself flying a few times learning this miniquad copter i wear pdrscription glasses though.maybe people should wear some as well.Dont be mad at yourself,just take it easy.
AnthonysQuad is offline Find More Posts by AnthonysQuad
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:02 PM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
You are the person who keeps on bringing this up again and again. You are the one who is being extremely sensitive about this. I would have dropped it long ago.
Extremely sensitive? I'm simply responding every time you try to scold me. That's not sensitive - that's a pretty normal reaction. You're a strange bird, zadaw.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:09 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arr0wHead View Post
Extremely sensitive? I'm simply responding every time you try to scold me. That's not sensitive - that's a pretty normal reaction. You're a strange bird, zadaw.
I wasn't scolding you or blaming you for anything. I was trying to point out that that the general impression that small helis are completely harmless is wrong. I certainly do not think this is such an embarrassing matter.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:29 PM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
the general impression that small helis are completely harmless
Is why it's embarrassing to explain how the injury happened. WE all know the reality, the ER secretary most likely does not.

And you don't lie to the staff, you simply WISH you could. Which is why it's funny.

Do you need jokes explained to you this often? It's really sad, because in doing so I've been forced to ruin it completely for everyone else.

Man, I'm so stressed from arguing with you I'm going to pop a vicodin from this morning's sinus surgery, then go hover my inverted CP wheedwhacker indoors with no eye protection.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:32 PM
work all night and fly all day
USA, CA, San Fernando Valley
Joined May 2009
237 Posts
I was not as lucky.
I lost my right eye June 2010
Breaking rope!
DIG
DIG2fly is offline Find More Posts by DIG2fly
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:23 AM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
You lost your eye how?
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:25 AM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,602 Posts
I am glad you are ok man.
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:08 AM
work all night and fly all day
USA, CA, San Fernando Valley
Joined May 2009
237 Posts
Kawi
I went thru exact same steps
hit in eye
open it does it work
just a blur
never to work again in a split second
anyway we adapt and get on with it
hope your eye gets better
think safety S**t happens
DIG2fly is offline Find More Posts by DIG2fly
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:02 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,691 Posts
Best wishes, hope your eye gets back to 100% soon.

Reminds me to always wear my glasses while flying, even though I only really need them for reading at a distance, like subtitles on TV.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:16 AM
Joined Feb 2012
24 Posts
Get well soon!

Hi Kawi,

I hope you get well soon and are back flying in no time.

Thanks very much for sharing, this is a very effective reminder. I never fly behind me except in the sim, and now I, for one, never will. A good reminder that even when we're having fun, you have to be safe above all else.

I'll bring up one other aspect of our hobby that also deserves a reminder about safety: Soldering. Never solder without safety glasses and/or a big magnifying glass between your eyes and the molten metal.

Safe flying
HelisRock is offline Find More Posts by HelisRock
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:35 AM
\_(ツ)_/
Joined Sep 2011
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIG2fly View Post
Kawi
hit in eye
open it does it work
just a blur
I don't understand, your eye never worked again?
Kawi is offline Find More Posts by Kawi
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:36 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arr0wHead View Post
Is why it's embarrassing to explain how the injury happened. WE all know the reality, the ER secretary most likely does not.

And you don't lie to the staff, you simply WISH you could. Which is why it's funny.

Do you need jokes explained to you this often? It's really sad, because in doing so I've been forced to ruin it completely for everyone else.

Man, I'm so stressed from arguing with you I'm going to pop a vicodin from this morning's sinus surgery, then go hover my inverted CP wheedwhacker indoors with no eye protection.
Hey man, just take it easy! I am not normally as straight face as this. I am probably much more sensitive about safety matters because I was in charge of safety of an institute that held the largest collection of SARs viruses in the world. One mishap could be disastrous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIG2fly View Post
Kawi
hit in eye
open it does it work
just a blur
I am sorry to hear about this. I hope something can be done down the line if your eye is not that damaged. Perhaps a corneal transplant or a corneal prosthesis.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:22 AM
Joined Nov 2011
771 Posts
With these micros even a cheap pair of safety glasses or drugstore sunglasses are enough to Take the brunt of these little blades. I still recommend something shatter proof for anything larger but you can have safety and not look silly too. Plus polarized lenses are helpful.
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer